My New 3 Round Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

draftfreak

Dreamer of Dreams
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is a complte 3 round mock (complete Saints draft at the bottom).

1st Round

1 – Dolphins – Chris Long – DE/OLB – Virginia – 6’3 275lbs – Bill Parcells loves this guy and he can play a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He has great genes and a great heart. He loves to play and is one of the best DEs to come out in several years--he is a technician and a splendid athlete--he is as close to a sure thing as the draft can provide. He is ready to start right now. I think Sedrick Ellis is a possibility here because he can play NT or 3-technique and is simply massive.

2 – Rams – Vernon Gholston – DE/OLB – Ohio St. – 6’3 268lbs – I’m not in love with this guy as much as some are, but he has awesome tools and is an equal athlete to Chris Long. He should at least be good and he could become great if his heart ever matches his talent--his first step is super quick. The Rams are in dire need of front seven help. Jake Long is the popular choice here but Gholston makes more sense and is a better value--he can start on day one.

3 – Falcons – Glen Dorsey – DT – LSU – 6’1 299lbs – His lack of overall bulk hurts him a touch and his injury history scares some but he is explosive and very disruptive. I like him but Ellis is a better overall player. Having said that, Dorsey has more than a little of Warren Sapp in him and can be very disruptive when healthy or excited. He will start at the 3-tech spot on day one. He doesn’t eat blocks and take up space and he gets pushed back some too. I think Keith Rivers is possible here too--as is Jake Long.

4 – Raiders – Sedrick Ellis – DT – USC – 6’1 312lbs – Al Davis wants Chris Long and loves Darren McFadden, but their front seven is decimated and they just resigned Fargas long term at RB. Ellis, whom I believe is the best DT in the draft, can step into the NT spot next to Tommy Kelly and start on day one if they get him signed. He was made to eat blocks and create a wall--not glamorous, but highly effective. He’s not a big sacker but he is a playmaker who should’ve won the Outland and Lombardi awards. McFadden is still very possible.

5 – Chiefs – Jake Long – OT – Michigan – 6’7 316lbs – I keep hearing the term clean with Jake and I do like him but he isn’t the athlete that other top-ten tackles have been in recent years (Thomas - Boselli - Ogden - Samuels - Pace) and in the film I’ve watched, he bends at the waist a little too much and lacks awesome balance. He is a fine talent though and the best overall tackle in the draft at this point and the Chiefs need a LT more than anyone. It would not be a surprise to see McFadden go here instead.

6 – Jets – Darren McFadden – RB – Arkansas – 6’1 213lbs – He is quite possibly the best player in the draft and he could go to the Falcons or the Raiders--although some lower level analysts downplay his skill-set. Several teams will likely try to trade up to get his services if he is still here at 6 because despite a few idiots who think otherwise, he is special. The Jets need speed and playmakers and Darren fits both bills. He could be better than Adrian Peterson as a rookie. Glenn Dorsey is possible too if he is still here—as is Keith Rivers.

7 – Patriots – (from 49ers) – Keith Rivers – OLB – USC – 6’2 243lbs – People are talking about a DB here but the Pats need to bring youth to their LBing corps. Their front seven needs strength and Rivers is easily the best LB in the draft. He can run and hit as well as anyone and is a four year starter as USC and he can play SAM, MIKE, or WILL. I see him as a SAM who can take over a game similarly to Shawne Merriman. He could start from day one and replace one of their aging LBers. A trade up for Gholston isn’t out of the question as is a CB.

8 – Ravens – Matt Ryan – QB – Boson College – 6’5 239lbs – They will start the still good Steve McNair, but they need to build around a young QB soon and Ryan is solid. Brian Brohm is still my favorite QB in this draft, but Ryan has the physical tools to be a Troy Aikman type of QB--very calm, cool, and collected--while also being quite talented. He should be a much better QB than Boller has been. Leodis McKelvin is possible too.

9 – Bengals – Kentwan Balmer – DT – North Carolina – 6’4 311lbs – Balmer is massive and extremely strong at the point--he stacks the line better than any other DT in this draft; also, he can be disruptive in the pocket and he seems to have great instincts. He wasn’t as active before ‘07 and that scares some teams. His hand and foot quickness really stand out as well. The Bengals need front seven help and without Ellis or Rivers, they reach for a future stud in Balmer.

10 – Saints – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – CB – Tennessee St. – 6’1 186lbs – Coming from a 1-AA school, he lacks great refinement (occasional extra steps) but he has simply awesome tools, size, and speed. His awareness and instincts are stellar and he breaks on the ball as quickly as anyone I’ve seen since Terrence Newman came out. He is also a very solid return man with the ability to make people miss in close quarters--he has worked with Deion Sanders and he reminds me a little of Primetime. If Rivers or Ellis falls, either could go here, but DB is more likely.

11 – Bills – Leodis McKelvin – CB – Troy – 5’10 192lbs – The Bills need speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball, but their lack of solid CB play hurt them last year. McKelvin is very instinctual and is a solid athlete from top to bottom--his hip flip is the best in the draft and he has great feet. He needs reps and refinement but his ability is very good and his cover ability is needed here. He may not have the best ball skills though. Limas Sweed or Devin Thomas could go here, as could Ryan Clady or Brandon Albert.

12 – Broncos – Ryan Clady – OT – Boise St. – 6’6 312lbs – I think that Shanahan could go in several directions here--I think they really want Balmer--but they are in desperate need of a LT and Clady is extremely athletic, massive, and quick. He has the most upside of any tackle in the draft. He is a bit raw and he needs more strength, but he has great tools. I think a WR is very possible here and if Balmer drops, he’ll go right here, but Clady will start for years to come and make Jay Cutler very happy.

13 – Panthers – Chris Williams – T/G – Vanderbilt – 6’6 317lbs – He should step in opposite Jordan Gross immediately at LT. He could easily go higher if certain picks go in other directions but he isn’t considered the mauler that some others are and that will make his stock drop just a bit. He has great feet, a massive frame, and long arms. He is an ideal tackle in this type of offense, but he does need a little more strength. A WR isn’t out of the question and Sweed would fit nicely.

14 – Bears Devin Thomas – WR – Michigan St. – 6’2 217lbs – The Bears Need WR and safety help, but WR must be a priority. Thomas is used to the cold weather and he could become a lethal weapon for whomever is playing QB. He is cat-quick and super fast, plus his size is outstanding. Is he a one year wonder, I do not think so, but he drops a few too many passes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the bears trade up to get Matt Ryan or move down to get more picks.

15 – Lions – Brandon Albert – OL – Virginia – 6’6 312lbs – The Lions have a good young team but they need depth and strength along the O-line and Albert can play inside or out—although he mostly played LG at UVA. He is very athletic and powerful and he should immediately help that young backfield by playing LG or RT; also, he has the room to get bigger and stronger. He has great knee bend and awesome leverage. Rashard Mendenhall isn’t out of the question here.

16 – Cardinals – Derrick Harvey – DE – Florida – 6’5 293lbs – The Cards need help at CB and D-line and RB and LB but the biggest need by far is at both the DE spot and the LB spot. Harvey is a massive DE who will fit well in this 3-4 defense and work opposite Darnell Dockett. Harvey is quick and extremely stout and athletic and can be very disruptive. He can stack the point and is a rock against the run, plus he has the size and athleticism to play inside at times. Rashard Mendenhall or Mike Jenkins are both possible here.

17 – Vikings – Phillip Merling – DE – Clemson – 6’4 279lbs – He stands out on tape and is a pure DE in a 4-3 scheme that can play the pass with greatness and will get much better against the run--although he does stack the point nicely. He can get too high on occasion. He can get bigger and shows great burst and pass rushing instincts; also, he is very stout at the point and can eat space. He will immediately help the Viking front seven. A CB isn’t out of the question.

18 – Texans – Rashard Mendenhall – RB – Illinois – 5’10 227lbs – This is quite possibly the most overrated player in the draft to me but he is still solid at hitting creases and he is stout and quick. I think he’ll have trouble in a pro-style offense but he is a talented RB. He should be able to provide the Texans with a much more consistent running game than they have now. If Albert or Clady fall, either could go here, plus a WR like Limas Sweed is very possible.

19 – Eagles – Andre Caldwell – WR/RM – Florida – 6’0 205lbs – A super speedy and good sized WR and return man that can split seams and get deep. He has huge hands and ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine. He will give McNabb options like he’s never had as an Eagle. Caldwell, Curtis, and Reggie Brown should immediately form one of the best WR corps in the league. He will allow McNabb to expand the offense, and his size, speed, and talent will make him an instant star.

20 – Buccaneers – Trevor Laws – NT – Notre Dame – 6’1 307lbs – The Bucs could go DB here but they really need to fortify the interior of their D-Line and Laws should team nicely with Chris Hovan to make a solid middle. This will provide depth and strength along the line; plus, good DTs are hard to come by. They can nab a CB in later rounds. Laws is a bundle of energy who goes all out all of the time and is super quick and disruptive and can be very powerful. He should start on day one. Mike Jenkins is possible here too.

21 – Redskins – Limas Sweed – WR – Texas – 6’4 216lbs – The Skins have lacked a big WR who could get downfield and make plays for a while. I have Sweed ranked #1 amongst my WRs and I believe he is just a notch below Roy Williams--which is saying a lot. He flows smoothly, he gets good separation, he is football fast, and he has great hands. The Skins need someone to help out Jason Campbell and Chris Cooley and Sweed is a great seam route runner who cuts like a much smaller WR. I think he could vie for rookie of the year honors. A LB or DE are possible here too.

22 – Cowboys – (from Browns) – Mike Jenkins – CB – S. Florida – 5’10 199lbs – They need a CB and a WR the most. Jenkins is an ultra talented DB that can play bump coverage with the best of them in this draft. He lacks ideal height but he is cat quick and is one of the best return men in the country. James Hardy isn’t out of the question here either. The Pokes have been searching for someone to line up opposite Terrence Newman for a few years now and Jenkins is an instinctive and athletic CB, although sometimes lazy, who makes his share of plays. They have or will sign Pac-Man Jones but he is no sure thing.

23 – Steelers – Jeff Otah – OL – Pitt – 6’6 323lbs – He’s a big local guy that can step in and play LG as a rookie (replace Fanneca) and possibly move outside to tackle later on. He is a mauler who simply loves to get in there and fight; plus, he has a nasty attitude and he likes to beat up his opponent. He isn’t the most athletic, but he is quick off the ball and has very quick hands and is absolutely massive. He will start on day one at LG. The Steelers biggest needs are on the O-line but a big WR like Kelly isn’t out of the question either.

24 – Titans – Lawrence Jackson – DE – USC – 6’4 274lbs – Replacing Odom and LaBoy at DE is a must--they need a CB and a WR badly too but a DE like Jackson, who is a big, athletic DE and who is equally good against the run and the pass is hard to come by. He has an excellent frame and could add ten or so more pounds, but he is also very athletic and instinctive--reminds me a lot of Wayne Martin. He isn’t a pure pass-rusher and that is what is dropping him some but good workouts and time to watch film have pushed him back into the first round. This guy will be a solid starter for years to come.

25 – Seahawks – James Hardy – WR – Indiana – 6’5 218lbs – The Hawks want to make a serious run at the Super Bowl but they need WR help and Hardy is a special talent with size and great quickness. With his size, he can simply tower over most CBs and outmuscle them too. He is similar to a Larry Fitzgerald. A linear pass-catcher in the mold of Plaxico Burress. He is more fast than quick but he has an instinctual knack of where to be and when to be there. He fights hard and he loves to play. He has massive hands. Kenny Phillips is possible too.

26 – Jaguars – Cliff Avril – OLB/DE – Purdue – 6’3 255lbs – Some people have timed him in the 4.4 range and he is cat-quick and explosive off of the snap—very similar to Demarcus Ware—but he has always played DE and he is now seen more by some as a SAM; however, I believe he can still be effective with his hand in the dirt as well as at LB. He is instinctive and active and is always in an opponent’s backfield. He is unbelievably disruptive and stout at the point--he makes plays. He is also very smart and quick and he should start early.

27 – Chargers – Sam Baker – OT – USC – 6’5 312lbs – This four year starter is extremely athletic and quick, and he has the ability to fortify an O-Line that could lead this team to a Super Bowl. Baker gave up just one sack in four years as a starter and only missed two games to injury--he is very consistent and a team leader. He will start at RT and make Phillip Rivers and LT very happy men. He is a better pass blocker than he is a mauler but he is a massive tackle with great quickness and strength and a ton of upside.

28 – Cowboys – Malcolm Kelly – WR – Oklahoma – 6’4 224lbs – He is very similar to Keyshawn Johnson in talent--he has a simply huge wingspan and massive hands. Kelly snags the ball out of the air and is a great hands catcher. The Pokes need a third WR badly and kelly is a top-10 talent who should still be here. However, he’s had some issues with his knees that have scared some teams off. He seems to be healthy now and if so, he could be an absolute steal at this spot. Early Doucet is also possible, as is an O-lineman.

29 – 49ers – (from Colts) – Gosder Cherilus – OT – Boston College – 6’6 317lbs – Gosder is more of a pure RT but he can play both tackle spots if needed. He is an instinctive mauler that likes to get in the trenches and hit people. He has a massive frame and has good feet and excellent strength but he does overextend a bit too often. The Niners biggest needs are on the O-line but LB is definitely not out of the question either—Jerod Mayo or Dan Connor are possible too.

30 – Packers – Dustin Keller – TE – Purdue – 6’2 244lbs – Another in the Dallas Clark mold to come into the NFL. Keller has been timed at 4.49 and he will give Aaron
Rodgers a nice new target up the middle--this should make the Pack offense very potent. He is more of an H-back than a pure TE but he has good bulk and the room to get even bigger, plus he has great hands and runs great routes. He’ll team with Donald Lee in the TE rotation.

31 – Giants – Dan Connor – OLB/MLB – Penn St. – 6’2 234lbs – He is an extremely active LB who can play both WILL, MIKE, or SAM, but he is best suited to WILL in my opinion. He should allow this defense more options to attack from day one--but he needs a little more bulk. He isn’t a sack machine but he is an athletic guy and a huge tackling machine with a great heart for the game—he could go much higher if a team just falls for him. Jerod Mayo or Erin Henderson aren’t out of the question here.

2nd Round

32 - Dolphins – Aqib Talib – CB – Kansas – 6’1 204lbs –
33 - Rams – Oniel Cousins – OT – UTEP – 6’4 311lbs –
34 - Falcons – Reggie Smith – CB – Oklahoma – 6’0 202lbs –
35 - Chiefs – Antoine Cason – CB – Arizona – 6’0 193lbs –
36 - Jets – Dre Moore – DT – Maryland – 6’4 308lbs –
37 - Falcons – Joe Flacco – QB – Delaware – 6’6 233lbs –
38 - Ravens – Brandon Flowers – CB – Virginia Tech – 5’10 188lbs –
39 – 49ers – Mario Manningham – WR – Michigan – 6’0 183lbs –
40 - Saints – Kendall Langford – DT/DE – Hampton – 6’6 294lbs –
41 - Bills – Early Doucet – WR – LSU – 6’0 209lbs –
42 - Broncos – Pat Sims – DT – Auburn – 6’2 313lbs –
43 - Panthers – Brian Brohm – QB – Louisville – 6’3 229lbs –
44 - Bears – Tony Hills – OT – Texas – 6’6 309lbs –
45 - Lions – Curtis Lofton – LB – Oklahoma – 6’0 249lbs –
46 – Bengals – Erin Henderson – OLB – Maryland – 6’3 247lbs –
47 – Vikings – Earl Bennett – WR/RM – Vanderbilt – 6’0 212lbs –
48 - Falcons – Chilo Rachal – G/T – USC – 6’6 326lbs –
49 - Eagles – Quinton Groves – DE/OLB – Auburn – 6’3 253lbs –
50 - Cardinals -- Jonathan Stewart – RB – Oregon – 5’10 234lbs –
51 - Redskins – Calais Campbell – DE – Miami – 6’8 294lbs –
52 - Bucs – Jordy Nelson – WR – K-State – 6’3 218lbs --
53 - Steelers – Kenny Phillips – FS/SS – Miami – 6’2 213lbs –
54 - Titans – Tracy Porter – CB – Indiana – 5’10 186lbs –
55 - Seahawks – John Carlson – TE – Notre Dame – 6’5 254lbs –
56 - Packers (from Browns) – Patrick Lee – CB – Auburn – 6’0 203lbs –
57 - Miami – Matt Forte – RB – Tulane – 6’1 218lbs –
58 - Jaguars – Mike Pollack – C/G – Arizona – 6’4 304lbs –
59 - Colts – Jerod Mayo – OLB – Tennessee – 6’2 243lbs –
60 - Packers – Stephen Sene – OT – Liberty – 6’5 328lbs –
61 - Cowboys – Felix Jones – RB – Arkansas – 5’10 208lbs –
62 - Patriots – Chevis Jackson – CB – LSU – 6’0 193lbs –
63 - Giants – Josh Barrett – SS/FS – Arizona St. – 6’2 224lbs –

3rd Round
64 – Dolphins – Donnie Avery – WR/RM – Houston – 5’11 193lbs –
65 – Rams – Justin King – CB – Penn St. – 5’11 192lbs –
66 – Chiefs – DeSean Jackson – WR/RM – Cal – 5’10 173lbs –
67 – Jets – Xavier Adibi – OLB – Virginia Tech – 6’2 234lbs –
68 – Falcons – Eric Young – OT – Tennessee – 6’4 313lbs –
69 – Patriots (from Oakland) – Chad Rhinehart – OL – Northern Iowa – 6’5 322lbs –
70 – 49ers – Phillip Wheeler – OLB/ILB – Georgia Tech – 6’2 249lbs –
71 – Bills (from Ravens) – Martellus Bennett – TE – Texas A&M – 6’6 253lbs –
72 – Bills – Jeremy Thompson – DE – Wake Forrest – 6’5 269lbs –
73 – Vikings (from Denver) – Anthony Collins – OL – Kansas – 6’5 319lbs –
74 – Panthers – Dajuan Morgan – FS – N.C. State – 6’0 206lbs –
75 – Bears – Chris Johnson – RB/RM – East Carolina – 5’11 202lbs –
76 – Lions – Red Bryant – DT – Texas A&M – 6’4 319lbs –
77 – Bengals – Eddie Royal – WR/RM – Virginia Tech – 5’10 186lbs –
78 – Saints – Mike McGlynn – C/G – Pitt – 6’4 314lbs –
79 – Texans – Tyvon Branch – CB/RM – UCONN – 6’0 204lbs –
80 – Eagles – Charles Godfrey – CB/FS – Iowa – 6’0 208lbs –
81 – Cardinals – Antwaun Molden – CB – Eastern Kentucky – 6’1 199lbs –
82 – Vikings – Thomas DeCoud – FS – Cal – 6’1 209lbs –
83 – Bucs – Tashard Choice – RB – Georgia Tech – 5’11 216lbs –
84 – Redskins – Duane Brown – OT – Virginia Tech – 6’4 318lbs –
85 – Titans – D.J. Hall – WR – Alabama – 6’2 196lbs –
86 – Seahawks – Marcus Harrison – DT – Arkansas – 6’3 318lbs –
87 – Lions (from Browns) – Ray Rice – RB – Rutgers – 5’8 202lbs –
88 – Steelers – Kenny Iwebema – DE – Iowa – 6’4 279lbs
89 – Jaguars – Tyrell Johnson – SS/FS – Arkansas St. – 6’0 208lbs –
90 – Bears (from San Diego) – Chad Henne – QB – Michigan – 6’3 232lbs –
91 – Packers – Lavelle Hawkins – WR – Cal – 5’11 190lbs –
92 – Cowboys – Brandon Keith – OL – Northern Iowa – 6’5 345lbs –
93 – Colts – Roy Schuening – OL – Oregon St. – 6’4 308lbs –
94 – Patriots – Dexter Jackson – WR/RM – Appalachian St. – 5’10 183lbs –
95 – Giants – Jamaal Charles – RB – Texas – 5’11 204lbs –

Complete Saints Draft:
1. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – CB – Tenn. St. – 6’1 186lbs – Rookie starter.
2. Kendall Langford – DT/DE – Hampton – 6’6 294lbs – Rookie starter.
3. Mike McGlynn – C/G – Pitt – 6’4 314lbs – Could start at Center this year.
5. Cory Boyd – RB – South Carolina – 6’0 214lbs – Great back to groom.
6. Derrick Doggett – FS/SS – Oregon St. – 6’2 203lbs – Great depth for either FS or SS.
7. Steven Hauschka – K – N.C. State – 6’2 192lbs – Best kicker in draft.

I would love to add an extra third round pick or replace the fourth and possibly get another DB or DT. I adore Keith Rivers and I think we could try and trade up for him but DRC is a wonderful choice at 10 too.

Last edited:
Amazing Mock. Guess your username should have given it away. IMO Desean Jackson, Jerod Mayo, Charles Godfrey, Jon Stewart, Phillip Wheeler, And Justin King have all improved their stock and will be taken higher. Other than that excellent mock with interesting twists.

That's a lot of work and I commend you for putting it all together... That's why I hate to say some of this.

If Albert is available at 10 and Dorsey, Ellis and Rivers are gone, I expect us to pick him...

And Langford at the 40th pick? He is flexible enough to play DT, but is listed on most sites as a DE. He is a 3-4 D-lineman... And... that's a HUGE reach. Especially when you have Lofton and Henderson and Mayo available?

Kendall Langford Scouting Report - 2008 NFL Draft Prospect
Kendall Langford - FootballsFuture.com NFL Draft Profile

He's not even listed in the top D-lineman lists!

2008 NFL Draft DL Rankings
NFL Draft Countdown - Defensive End Rankings
2008 NFL Draft Value Board

Nice job. Very realistic. Thank you for not including crazy trade up/down scenarios that have us smelling like a rose.

very well done. the most complete amatuer mock i have seen. the most realistic too. your's is better than mine, but then again, i'm ADD.

Sorry, I saw a bunch of picks that don't make much sense to me.

There is no way we are passing on Kenny Phillips if he falls to us in the 2nd round.

Sell me on Langford.
Very agressive. High motor.
Can play at DE or DT with nice size and strength, and carries his bulk so much better than any other DL in the draft.
Sleeper, but I think definately our 3rd he'd be there and maybe our 5th. But we know Payton likes the small school guys a bit so you never know.

Langford over Brohm, Lofton and Mayo in the second? Please God no.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom