My take on Reggie and the running game... (1 Viewer)

jimmac

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yes I'm dissappointed with Reggie's output running the ball, and some of his decision making as far as not running North to South, but to be honest the holes are just not there. Deuce has not exactly set the world on fire, 20 carries for 43 yards the last two games. What Baltimore and Tampa tried to do was completely take away our run and especially the short passing game. This is where I think coach Payton has really showed what he is made of as far as in game and game to game adjustments. Before the bye, we came out almost every game trying to dink and dunk, loosen up the defense and get Drew going and in sinc to set up the run and the downfield passing game as the game goes on. After the bye Baltimore obviously did there homework, because we came out the same way against them and Baltimore not only took away the run, but most importantly completely took away the short passing by not only batting down passes but forcing Brees to pull balls back in on those swing passes. Tampa tried to do the same thing, at times today there were 8 and 9 guys within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. this is where Payton was brilliant, he new we had a Rookie starting at LT, so he moved Brees away from that side and threw the ball down the field, over the middle and Tampa was not prepared for that. We schooled them down field all day. Tampa continued to stack the box and we continued to burn them.

It may not happen this week against a stingy Steeler D, but there is no doubt in my mind with Payton's wideopen and brilliant playcalling that defenses will start to backoff and the holes will start opening wideup for Reggie and Deuce. Defenses are not going to let Brees just pick them apart, he has thrown for almost a 1000 yards and 9td's the last three games. I love this coach and what he brings to our offense. We have not seen the likes of this here in New Orleans before, and a am willing to bet we have not even seen half of his plays yet. It's almost like he has a plan from week to week of breaking out new stuff. Brees showed he could blister the middle of the field and go deep today so watch out folks it is going to be a fun ride the second half.

P.S.- I hope Devery can be consistant and stay on the field, because regardless of what people think, he is a huge part of what Payton wants to do with this offense as a whole. Look out once we get everyone on the field(Joe Horn).

Yes I'm dissappointed with Reggie's output running the ball, and some of his decision making as far as not running North to South, but to be honest the holes are just not there. Deuce has not exactly set the world on fire, 20 carries for 43 yards the last two games.
Faulty opening argument. Can't just look at two games. This has been a season-long problem for Mr. #(2)5.

Deuce has had games of 90, 123, 81, and 64 yards this season. Throw out the Ravens game because we had to become passaholics in that one, and you may as well do the same for the Packers game because he only had 12 runs in that one, and under similar circumstances. He's really only been shut down in this past game and the Carolina game. Throwing out the same games for Bush, he's had rushing totals of 61, 5, 53, 23, 25, and -5 yards. That's two average games, two poor ones, and two unspeakably bad ones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom