My "What’s Taking So Long" Drew Retirement Tin Foil Hot Take. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Payton, Loomis, and Brees are trying avoid NFL retaliation on a early Post June designation retirement.

Last year... We had the NFL trying to accuse us trying to manipulate the comp pick system by signing Winston after the comp pick deadline. Even though, a bunch of other teams where doing the same thing. We get targeted and accused. They denied a trade(Clowney) that has happened in this league a couple of time. Then, the covid penalty pick.

Goodell or whoever hates us at NFL HQ probably sees with blood in the water to send us back in to the 7-9 basement if they can find any fabricated salary cap manipulation.

Here is what the Saints want to do... Post June Retirement.

If Brees announces his retirement now and doesn't wait to put in his retirement notice till after June 1st.

Drew if he stays on the roster: $22,650,000
Pre-June Retirement 2021 Dead Cap: $22,650,000
Post-June Retirement 2021 & 2022 Dead Cap: $11,150,000

If you ask why this is sooo important... $11 in one year can account for resign one Marcus Williams in Full or about 4-5 depth players. It would cripple us to not have that cap savings.

I went through the whole CBA and there is really nothing protecting from the NFL from challenging that late retirement designation if the NFL decides to be petty and make things hard for us.

It's more about not giving up an avenue for a situation to arise. If NFL can somehow blow up it into manufactured CapGate, wouldn't they? After Winston Comp pick, NFL denying the Clowny trade after its already been done, and Covid pick pettiness? I mean... It's not hard to believe why Saints organization is probably playing this situation as close to the letter as possible. It's to avoid possible ramifications.

When Loomis and Payton said the same thing verbatim in interviews to expect a decision in a couple of weeks over a month ago. Then, behind closed doors reduced Brees salary to one million.

They had a plan set in motion as early as January and clearly collectively agreed upon. This isn't like last year with the salary cap implications, Drew battling tough injuries, or taking a crazy paycut.

I wouldn't be surprised that Saints have all their moves planned out and wait for the official salary cap numbers. I don't think Brees will wait till June to retire. Just be close enough to make unchallengable.

If Drew decides Monday morning to retire... Clearly this was all a tin foil hat "Watching to much Netflix thriller drama" off season boredom hot take.

Last edited:
Or...what if Drew wants to play one more year...Payton and/or Loomis don't agree so both parties agreed to part ways on amicable terms. Then Drew signs somewhere closer to home (SD) next year for one more season.

I personally feel like he’s waiting for things to shake out in the team‘s favor with a clear replacement. I mean there’s Wilson rumblings, Winston is unsigned and the heir isn’t clear. I don’t think he’ll make an announcement until it’s clear we’re in good hands

It’s been done before with announcing retirement prior to June 1 and then doing the transaction for after June 1. No rule against it.

Either he’s keeping his name in the press by waiting and having workout posts and Analysts talking about him or the saints let him know they don’t want him back.

I just hope he’s not pulling a Brees from last season when talk of Brady coming here with Russell Wilson saying we are one of four teams.

There have been plenty of pre-June 1st retirements that were counted as post-June 1st. BUT I have no doubt Goodell would suddenly find something wrong with it when the Saints do it.

I wish people would quit repeating this "June" thing over and over.......as if the Saints are somehow "tricking" Roger Goodell.

It's been said over and over that his retirement could be designated post-June even if he announced it 30 minutes from now, and yet people keep going with this "oh, we're totally just waiting till June so as not to raise suspicion". Yeah, I'm sure Roger is just sitting around nervously twitching, wondering/actually caring what Brees does.

This part isn't really directed to the OP, but the vocal contingent of Saints fans who want him to retire are, in my opinion, starting to get a little bit nervous with each passing day that a retirement announcement doesn't get made. So when you see them insisting that there is no way he returns, they're trying to convince themselves more than anyone.

I wish people would quit repeating this "June" thing over and over.......as if the Saints are somehow "tricking" Roger Goodell.

It's been said over and over that his retirement could be designated post-June even if he announced it 30 minutes from now, and yet people keep going with this "oh, we're totally just waiting till June so as not to raise suspicion". Yeah, I'm sure Roger is just sitting around nervously twitching, wondering/actually caring what Brees does.

This part isn't really directed to the OP, but the vocal contingent of Saints fans who want him to retire are, in my opinion, starting to get a little bit nervous with each passing day that a retirement announcement doesn't get made. So when you see them insisting that there is no way he returns, they're trying to convince themselves more than anyone.
It's all good. I'm just bored.,

They are probably just working out the final language on Brees' three-year extension.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom