N/S: Hines Ward - NFL's Hypocritical, Doesn't Care about Players (1 Viewer)

Well then. Nevermind.
y1pR5kMzOs_gvX-U2_ldQb2loUEP3HZhrR-V6sPjn7yec6O2awpM_881zLonxLF44QIl1SIdMRFV94

I hate to end a good debate by agreeing with u but if I'm understanding u correctly, ur saying that the NFL doesn't care about the players, their actions r more to cover their backside, then YES.. I agree with that but would simply say every company does that... Just about every program, training, meeting, HR consult etc is so the company can say "look, we trained them properly"

Look at any manufacturing company... All the safety training and constant talk about safety and the signs that say "this plant has gone xxx days since our last injury". That has nothing to do with the companies concerns about employee safety, it has everything to do with work related injuries account for an extremely high $$$$ for the company... Having said that, as a business owner, I have a hard time faulting a company for tring to keep their expenses down..

I know this is a cynical attitude but if u drill down to the bottom of everything, it's usually done for selfish reasons.. We care about every's safety but u push the issue more cuz safety is 30% if our monthly bonus.. Etc

All true....but we, as fans want to see the big hits....that's the fuel for us getting glued to the sport. However, the league, although loves our enthusiasm, and agrees with our taste for the big hits, and loves charging us for that extravaganza...are facing increasing costs for their indulgences regarding big hits, which we all know are the cause for players becoming veggies. So as the cost going up, & up, they will eventually curb the biggest reason for those high costs....the hits. Now I, just like you, hate that to see happening....however it will be the main issue shaping future rules guarding the sport....and we the fans will be the ones suffering, while we pay more & more for the privileage to see those games, in which the hits will be almost nonexistent, and tackling will be on front of every defensive action...

"They sure do talk a lot for a team that's beat us once in 9 years." - Tom Brady on the Baltimore Ravens. Well said, Tom.

Suggs is a whiny ***** who has never won anything on a team that is overrated every single year.

"They sure do talk a lot for a team that's beat us once in 9 years." - Tom Brady on the Baltimore Ravens. Well said, Tom.

LOL....this quote reminds me of Keshwn Johnson when he went through almost a whole season scoring just one lousy TD. However, one day he managed to score his second TD, and that fact somehow was missed for the following Sunday, when Terry Bradshaw criticized KJ for scoring just one TD....

That propmted KJ to come back and call out Bradshaw for his inaccurate reporting.....saying it was false, for he did score his 2nd TD....it was hillarious!

Tom Brady's claim is also not true....the Jets did beat the Pats two times, not only one time in 9 years! LMAO!!!

All true....but we, as fans want to see the big hits....that's the fuel for us getting glued to the sport. However, the league, although loves our enthusiasm, and agrees with our taste for the big hits, and loves charging us for that extravaganza.

Speak for yourself. Fans are glued to this sport because their team has a shot to win a championship which can't be said for college football. And your chances of winning a championship goes down dramatically when you backup QB is playing because your starter is hurt (I know it's been done. Nobody has to pull out the few instances of backups or bad qb's winning a SB).

The NFL is basically a soap opera for grown men (and some women). There is so much that goes on besides the actual game itself. But the NFL knows that if the star of the show can't play, ratings go down.

LOL....this quote reminds me of Keshwn Johnson when he went through almost a whole season scoring just one lousy TD. However, one day he managed to score his second TD, and that fact somehow was missed for the following Sunday, when Terry Bradshaw criticized KJ for scoring just one TD....

That propmted KJ to come back and call out Bradshaw for his inaccurate reporting.....saying it was false, for he did score his 2nd TD....it was hillarious!

Tom Brady's claim is also not true....the Jets did beat the Pats two times, not only one time in 9 years! LMAO!!!

Except he was talking about the Ravens?

Come on man... That's ridiculous!!! Should they outlaw punching in boxing while they're at it??? Just silly argument...

The sport is inherently violent and dangerous. The players already know this when they step in the field and they do it willingly for the money and notoriety.. The league is trying to make a dangerous sport as safe as possible without making it something it a completely different sport...

To try to relate adding more games to directly = don't care about injuries is silly... Heck, why don't they just play 6 games against division opponents, have the playoffs n superbowl n call it a season.. Cuz that would be dumb!! Same reason driving a car and crossing the street are not outlawed... Its a risk we take BUT the powers do make speed limits n crosswalks to make driving n walking as safe as possible...

Its a dangerous sport.. Do what u can to keep the game but make it as safe as possible...

See, this is how the league wants to appear. They want to appear in the eyes of concerned folks that they are doing something, anything, about the safety of the sport. In reality, eliminating helmet-to-helmet hits is not going to make an appreciable difference in the amount of injuries. But as long as they appear as though they're doing something highly important, they'll get a pat on the back for it.

And he's absolutely right about 18 games. What other benefit does reducing the preseason and extending the season provide other than to make more money?

See, this is how the league wants to appear. They want to appear in the eyes of concerned folks that they are doing something, anything, about the safety of the sport. In reality, eliminating helmet-to-helmet hits is not going to make an appreciable difference in the amount of injuries. But as long as they appear as though they're doing something highly important, they'll get a pat on the back for it.

And he's absolutely right about 18 games. What other benefit does reducing the preseason and extending the season provide other than to make more money?

Well, if you look at my post a couple replies above, we agree in principal but where we differ is I think you're naive about business in general... The NFL is a business and their purpose is to make money and I don't think they have to apologize about that... Having said that, they do have to take actions that, at a minimum, take on the appearance that they're doing everything they can to make the sport as safe as they can...

BUT what do you do when your sport is dirt diving from 50 feet. You can clear the rocks out of the way but you're still diving into dirt from 50 feet up... AND if you owned one of the dirt diving teams and you divers were coming after you for injury settlements, you would start researching softer dirt and maybe consider no head first dives or requiring mouth pieces to reduce head injuries... Would this work, probably not but it would help you when you went to court to defend yourself...

Personally, I don't watch games to see "big hits" I watch games for precision and exciting plays and to support my team.... I'm not the guy who run outside when someone yells "FIGHT"

Well, if you look at my post a couple replies above, we agree in principal but where we differ is I think you're naive about business in general... The NFL is a business and their purpose is to make money and I don't think they have to apologize about that... Having said that, they do have to take actions that, at a minimum, take on the appearance that they're doing everything they can to make the sport as safe as they can...

BUT what do you do when your sport is dirt diving from 50 feet. You can clear the rocks out of the way but you're still diving into dirt from 50 feet up... AND if you owned one of the dirt diving teams and you divers were coming after you for injury settlements, you would start researching softer dirt and maybe consider no head first dives or requiring mouth pieces to reduce head injuries... Would this work, probably not but it would help you when you went to court to defend yourself...

Personally, I don't watch games to see "big hits" I watch games for precision and exciting plays and to support my team.... I'm not the guy who run outside when someone yells "FIGHT"

Dude I know your whole position and how you're always going to take the side of the business since you're a business owner. I get it. I'm not naive about it. I actually have a pretty good understanding about it. I'm just surprised that more don't see right through what they're doing.

Actually with your position you're just validating what Hines Ward said. He understands and I understand that the business is doing what they need to do to make money, and it's not based on the wellness of the players. It's increasing their profit margin while trying to give the appearance that they're doing what they're doing primarily for the greater good of the players, which isn't the case. It's all to gain favor with those who actually are concerned with things like this, and apparently it's working.

You may not watch for the hits but the NFL wouldn't be the top sport in the nation if it weren't for it's violent nature. The NFL primary appeal value is based on the violence.

All this talk about the Steelers players being whiny comes from a team that hasn't and doesn't have a reputation for being physical. When you've been intimidating for the last 40 years as a team that's going to hit you hard, and the league comes out and calls your play style no longer allowed, it's a bit of an Identity crisis. Back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's no one gave two craps about big hits. It's what drew most of us to the game. Now that isn't going to be allowed. Because 100 point games are what the league thinks will draw more viewers now, and if guys like Clark and Harrison are running around knocking guys out, fewer points are scored. I, knowing I'm likely in the minority on this board, think 45-42 games are horribly boring and I'll take the 14-10 defensive slug fests any day.

Hits are fine... It's the leading with helmets and Hines wards "blocks" on players that aren't even in the play and heading to the bench...

And last time the saints and steelers played, one team was very physical ... And they had logos on both sides of their helmets

Dude I know your whole position and how you're always going to take the side of the business since you're a business owner. I get it. I'm not naive about it. I actually have a pretty good understanding about it. I'm just surprised that more don't see right through what they're doing.

Actually with your position you're just validating what Hines Ward said. He understands and I understand that the business is doing what they need to do to make money, and it's not based on the wellness of the players. It's increasing their profit margin while trying to give the appearance that they're doing what they're doing primarily for the greater good of the players, which isn't the case. It's all to gain favor with those who actually are concerned with things like this, and apparently it's working.

You may not watch for the hits but the NFL wouldn't be the top sport in the nation if it weren't for it's violent nature. The NFL primary appeal value is based on the violence.

It's really hard to argue this because it's simply being a lawyer... Argue something when you know the other guy has a valid point... I could easily take your position and argue it to death as easily as I could argue mine. I think it's perspective. As the owner, they do care about the product and well being of the product but maybe for a different reason then you.

good debate sir....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom