N/S: Panthers @ Falclowns: confidence lowered? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
How many quotes (from Falcons coaches and/or players) in the following article give the impression that the Atlanta Falcons may have lost their mojo? :scratch:

There's also an embedded video (preview) of this Week 17 matchup.

Here's my nomination (from the article):
"There was never a doubt in our mind we were going to win (vs. the Saints this past Monday night)," said fullback Ovie Mughelli. "It just didn't happen in this game. It hurt so much because we're so used to winning (with referee help and Roddy pushoffs :hihi:) after eight wins in a row."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...alcons-look-to-bounce-back-and-earn-no-1-seed

:gosaints:

They're just realizing they're not ten foot tall and bullet proof!?!?!?!? It (losing to inferior team you're expected to beat) happened to us at the end of the season last year (Tampa Bay) and could very well happen to them this weekend.

"Ryan said an offense with so many weapons shouldn't be held to 14 points".

Excuse me, your offense scored only 7 points poo pants!

The Falcons have five newly named Pro Bowl players from their offense: Ryan, Mughelli, Turner, White and Gonzalez. Ryan said an offense with so many weapons shouldn't be held to 14 points.

Uh, that'd be 7 points, Mr. Ryan.

Falcons coach Mike Smith said the Panthers may try defensive strategies that worked for the Saints, including extra attention on White.
"That's been going on for quite some time and over the last couple of weeks probably more snaps of it," Smith said. "Again, when you're a Pro Bowl player and you have the production Roddy has, you're going to get that attention.
"We have to be prepared to make sure we have a plan to offset that. ... I think when they take something away they're going to leave something open, and we've got to make sure we can find it and go ahead and execute because they can't take everything away."

The difference between Payton and Smith is that Payton realizes he needs to adjust his offense mid-game when something's being taken away by the defense. It takes Smith the entire season to realize such an adjustment needs to be made.

Why I think the Panthers have a slim chance to repeat what the Saints did?

For one, the Saints had an outstanding defensive performance....they stopped Turner for the most part, doubled up on Gonzo, & White, and made sure that Ryan stays in the pocket.

The strength of the Panthers team is their defense. They're a pretty good defense, and are quite capable to do what the Saints D did. And if they bottle up Turner, and defend Gonzo, & White with double coverages, they might have a chance, considering that offensively, they still have one of the better running game. In this game punting the ball is not bad, they have to play the field position game, relying on the defense, and the running game, with the occasional deep pass. They still have Steve Smith, and they might get lucky scoring a TD with the pass.

But I would rely on the running game, and the defense on the most part. The blueprint has been made by the Saints, and following it might bring out the same results. The Panthers D has to make sure they stay close, and frustrate the clowns. If they can do that, they might have a chance winning this game.

Why I think the Panthers have a slim chance to repeat what the Saints did?

For one, the Saints had an outstanding defensive performance ... ... The Panthers D has to make sure they stay close, and frustrate the clowns. If they can do that, they might have a chance winning this game.

Along with what you said, lets hope they win the turnover battle about 5 to 1. Then, add the next to impossible "less penalties" and we might really have a Panthers win!

Vikings at Philly.......With a third string QB, who knows what will happen....?

"Ryan said an offense with so many weapons shouldn't be held to 14 points".

Excuse me, your offense scored only 7 points poo pants!

And without the bogus roughing the passer call it was 3 points...

After the Saints lost to Dallas, their confidence took a hit and they lost the next two (can't really count Carolina, because they clinched by then) but the loss to Tampa, at home, when they needed a win to clinch the #1 seed was bad. Let's hope history repeats itself, and the Saints don't help the Falcons out like the Vikings helped the Saints out by losing.

After the Saints lost to Dallas, their confidence took a hit and they lost the next two (can't really count Carolina, because they clinched by then) but the loss to Tampa, at home, when they needed a win to clinch the #1 seed was bad. Let's hope history repeats itself, and the Saints don't help the Falcons out like the Vikings helped the Saints out by losing.

Outstanding observation!....I might add, that the last year's Bucs, were every bit as bad as this year's Panthers.....yet they rolled into the Big Easy, and stole a victory from a dumbfounded team, who couldn't believe what happened in the previous week against Dallas.

A bad loss will do more damage than is given credit for. I remember long time ago, the Cowboys were as bad as they could be.....0&13, or 0 & 14, something like that rolling into Washington playing a very good Skins team....and winning the game, they had no business winning.....or just look at last Tuesday game....INCREDIBLE!

It could be done.....right now the Panthers have nothing to lose, why not just go out and produce the Mother of all upsets??....wouldn't that be something?!

I liked this one.

"There's nothing given," Ryan said Thursday. "There's nothing automatic in this league. But with that said, we have the same expectation that in a tight game, late in the game, we're going to make the plays that we need to win. We just didn't do that at the end of the last game. We had some chances but I **** myself again."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom