N/S Vince Wilfork is franchised (1 Viewer)

I don't recall Remi ever being a first round pick. He was undrafted. Norman Hand was a 5th round pick.

You don't waste high picks on guys that might have conditioning issues. You can get similar massive players in the later rounds and they may pan out for a year or two before they disappear. And being a big guy doesn't guarantee a double team. Every lineman in the NFL can easily lift what Cody weighs. Cody's going to have to prove that he has range and that he can keep his weight under control when he's being paid.

Right now I would put my money on both Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans being able to single block him in both passing and running situations very effectively.

All that means is that this likely will be Wilfork's last season in New England. Unless the two sides come to a long term contract during the season he is franchised (2010 season) Wilfork will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, and free to sign with any team.

Pats, Wilfork hope for long-term deal

"A long-term agreement with Vince Wilfork has been the team's top contractual priority for some time," the Patriots announced in a statement confirming Wilfork was tagged. "Unfortunately, despite numerous conversations and proposals, the goal has not yet been realized. Vince is a tremendous player for our team and remains a significant part of our future plans. It is because of Vince's importance to this organization that we have assigned the franchise designation as we continue to work toward a long-term agreement. We are hopeful that Vince will remain a Patriot for many years to come."

The Patriots used the nonexclusive tag on Wilfork, according to an NFL source, meaning that other teams can host Wilfork on a free-agent visit and potentially sign him to an offer sheet. If the Patriots decide not to match a potential offer sheet, they would receive two first-round draft choices. Because of that high cost, it is extremely rare for a nonexclusive franchise tag player to change teams with an offer sheet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4936236

Brad01;2836306[B said:
]I don't recall Remi ever being a first round pick.[/B] He was undrafted. Norman Hand was a 5th round pick.

and in his case you get what you paid for.

You don't waste high picks on guys that might have conditioning issues. You can get similar massive players in the later rounds and they may pan out for a year or two before they disappear.

when has his conditioning ever caused him to miss time?

And being a big guy doesn't guarantee a double team.

agree. this has never been truer more than in the case of remy ayodele.

Every lineman in the NFL can easily lift what Cody weighs. Cody's going to have to prove that he has range and that he can keep his weight under control when he's being paid.

"range"?

cody nor vince wilfork will ever be asked to run sideline to sideline across the field.

he's also been pretty good at keeping his weight in check at alabama without the incentive of a paycheck. any player in any year can let their weight spiral out of control but what evidence is there that vince wilfork ever let it interfere with his duties on the football field?

Right now I would put my money on both Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans being able to single block him in both passing and running situations very effectively.

righ.... carl nicks needed help to double wilfork several times in the patriots game.

Conditioning for college vs conditioning for the NFL are two completely different things. And you keep comparing him to Wilfork. Besides the fact that they're nearly the same size and play the same projected position, they're abilities on the field are nothing alike.

And yes, Cody will have to increase his range to play in the NFL. Offenses use the entire field. He better be ready to run with his blockers sideline to sideline or he'll soon be on the sideline.

I think you're just too enamored with the size of the guy.

Don't know where you got your numbers but Cody is only 6'4". If he was 6'6" he'd be a guaranteed high 1st rounder. For a good comparison, Haynesworth plays at 6'6" 350 and is pretty much the most dominant defender in the game. He came out at 318 and ran a 4.82 40 which I guarantee Cody will not do heh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom