National Geographic - New Orleans' Rebuilt Levees "Riddled With Flaws" (1 Viewer)

kooldak

Retired
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting article.

Almost a year ago the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers declared that it had restored New Orleans' levees and floodwalls to pre-Hurricane Katrina strength.

But the system is actually riddled with flaws, and a storm even weaker than Katrina could breach the levees if it hit this year, say leading experts who have investigated the system.

The unwelcome news comes as residents gird for what is predicted to be a "very active" Atlantic hurricane season, and as residents are still slowly rebuilding their homes and lives after Katrina.

During a recent inspection of the levee system with National Geographic magazine, engineering professor Bob Bea of the University of California, Berkeley, found multiple weak spots.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/05/070506-orleans-levees.html?intcmp=InsideMay07

Associated video here:

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/levees/video1.html?fs=www.nationalgeographic.com

Alarmist reporting? Maybe, but considering that the source is Nat. Geo, I would doubt it.

Well, the pumps couldn't handle that rainfall last Friday! :(

Yeah, wife and I having been talking about maybe moving back to N.O. Not soon, but in the next few years. Thinking about a Warehouse District condo.

This kind of thing is concerning...

Just go back and look at the old maps. What was high back then, is still high, and if you stick to those areas you'll be just fine. :) I don't blame anyone for not trusting the Corps of Engineers on this one...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom