Need a new phone (sigh) (1 Viewer)

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
My last phone was a Nokia Windows phone and I liked it a lot, except nobody supports it anymore, so things like Facebook Messenger (which I find extremely handy talking with my wife and kids) have stopped working over the last few months. Also the carrier was T-Mobile and they have absolutely the worst coverage ever.

tl;dr, I know, sorry.

So I'm looking for a new phone. Need good network service, ability to do basic apps (email, Facebook, Skype, web browse) and text-to-talk which is invaluable since I have clumsy sausage fingers and do a lot of texting from the car.

I'd prefer Android because I just don't like Apple very much, but that's not a deal-breaker. And it needs to be cheap. Anything much over $100 kills it for me, these things are lousy investments.

Do they make smartphones over $100? I'd just look for one that costs $100 and if it exists, there you go. Lol

Do you mean $100 with a contract? It was my understanding that contracts were going away as a business model. You might need to spend a bit more. It might be worth a trip to the store to see what programs are available. Verizon has the best coverage by far, in my experience.

That said, you can get a capable Android phone for surprisingly cheap. And if you've been living with a Nokia Windows Phone, you're not that demanding of your phone.

Take a look at the Motorola Moto G line up if you are looking to go cheap and off any sort of contract.

You checked what Friends and Relatives have collecting dust? Galaxy S5. LG G3. MOTO X

Do you mean $100 with a contract? It was my understanding that contracts were going away as a business model. You might need to spend a bit more. It might be worth a trip to the store to see what programs are available. Verizon has the best coverage by far, in my experience.

That said, you can get a capable Android phone for surprisingly cheap. And if you've been living with a Nokia Windows Phone, you're not that demanding of your phone.

Take a look at the Motorola Moto G line up if you are looking to go cheap and off any sort of contract.

I was looking specifically at Straight Talk right before I posted so that's kind of where my head was at. You can get a phone anywhere from free to that $100 range (and higher obviously) when you purchase x months plan ahead of time. Most of the phones were like Samsung and LG but lesser known models (Samsung Core Prime/Grand Prime?....any good?). and of course a bunch of off-brands.

Basically all I really want is something that's cheap and won't blow up/burn the house down and hopefully won't be totally obsolete in a year or two.

GoogleFI and Republic Wireless are two cheap ways to go that don't get the attention they deserve. I have WiFi at work and home and don't travel as much anymore, so it works great for me.

Try these. S6 or S6 Active..supposedly unlocked. Great deal at $150 if you can find one at a Wal-Mart near you. These links will tell you the stock on the S6. For S6 Active you will just have to look when you go to the store.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Smartphone (Unlocked)

Samsung Galaxy S6 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked), White

Is that off contract? That's a great deal. I use a Galaxy s6 for work and it's a good phone, albeit getting a little old. Still, it's updated regularly and has solid components that are surely better than a modern 'cheap' phone. I don't care for the samsung customization of Android. But it's a solid device at that price for sure.

Is that off contract? That's a great deal. I use a Galaxy s6 for work and it's a good phone, albeit getting a little old. Still, it's updated regularly and has solid components that are surely better than a modern 'cheap' phone. I don't care for the samsung customization of Android. But it's a solid device at that price for sure.

Supposedly off contract and unlocked. YMMV on finding one though. Great phone for $150

My last phone was a Nokia Windows phone and I liked it a lot, except nobody supports it anymore, so things like Facebook Messenger (which I find extremely handy talking with my wife and kids) have stopped working over the last few months. Also the carrier was T-Mobile and they have absolutely the worst coverage ever.

tl;dr, I know, sorry.

So I'm looking for a new phone. Need good network service, ability to do basic apps (email, Facebook, Skype, web browse) and text-to-talk which is invaluable since I have clumsy sausage fingers and do a lot of texting from the car.

I'd prefer Android because I just don't like Apple very much, but that's not a deal-breaker. And it needs to be cheap. Anything much over $100 kills it for me, these things are lousy investments.

I feel you, man. I really don't like the interface of the other phones, but I'm looking to move on myself since mine keeps crashing lately. Think it's a hardware issue, but I didn't complain soon enough or they would have bought it back from me.

TMobile just gave me an LG K20 Plus for switching to their service. Only carrier with truly unlimited data with NO bottlenecking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom