NetFlix/Blockbuster/Redbox/Retail (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I drive past my local Blockbuster last Monday, and they have a big sign in the window saying that they have movies 28 days before Redbox and Netflix.

Tuesday, 'Shrek: Forever After' is released, and I swing by my local Redbox and pick it up.

Today, in Best Buy's ad they show that 'The Town' and 'Despicable Me' are coming out Tuesday, and that NetFlix and Redbox won't have it until January 11, 2011.

Has anyone actually experienced having to wait 4 weeks after a movie is released to get a movie from Netflix or Redbox?

Haven't really noticed because my Netflix que is over 60 movies long. I don't feel the need to see the newest movies right now. If I'm that excited I'll see them at the theater. Otherwise, I can wait.

I never usually get movies right away on Netflix because I also use Usenet, but I think they come out right away.

Netflix does have a 28 day wait for new releases. its a bummer been waiting to see if they are going to start streaming more new releases faster before i cancell my subscription

I'm pretty sure it depends on the company that is releasing the movie for purchase/rental. Some have agreements in place that delay release to Redbox, etc.

Warner Bros. has a 28 day agreement with Redbox: Link

Loks like Netflix is for Fox and Universal: Link

I download all the blockbusters, because mostly they suck too much to pay for but they're fun. icefilm is good.

I use netflix to watch TV sets or classic films that I wouldn't otherwise get to see.

I've honestly never used redbox and I refuse to pay what blockbuster is charging now-a-days. I mean seriously blockbuster, get with the program!

I'm pretty sure it depends on the company that is releasing the movie for purchase/rental. Some have agreements in place that delay release to Redbox, etc.

Warner Bros. has a 28 day agreement with Redbox: Link

Loks like Netflix is for Fox and Universal: Link

That sucks...

So, they'll sell movies to company A to release immediately, but they'll make company B wait a month because...they have a different business model?

"We want to move consumers to activities such as retail rental, video on demand and buying that have the best economics for the studio," said Kevin Tsujihara, president of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. "Those who want to pay $1 and are willing to wait, God bless them."

I don't get this part at all. They sell a movie to Blockbuster for $10. They sell the same movie to Redbox for $10. They sell the same movie to NetFlix for $10. How does it affect the studios economics on how those three companies use that movie? They've made their money.

That sucks...

So, they'll sell movies to company A to release immediately, but they'll make company B wait a month because...they have a different business model?

I don't get this part at all. They sell a movie to Blockbuster for $10. They sell the same movie to Redbox for $10. They sell the same movie to NetFlix for $10. How does it affect the studios economics on how those three companies use that movie? They've made their money.

i suspect they in fact sell rights to rent, and promote availability etc.... right at release for a lot more to one company then the other. Completely arbitrary numbers but blockbuster pays $10 for early rights and netflix pays $5 for delayed

i suspect they in fact sell rights to rent, and promote availability etc.... right at release for a lot more to one company then the other. Completely arbitrary numbers but blockbuster pays $10 for early rights and netflix pays $5 for delayed

Exactly....so, they don't want to allow Redbox or Netflix to make them available immediately because it hurts the studio's economy....but they'll sell it at a discount for later..Doesn't that hurt the studio's economy more?

doesn't matter. Movies are already available to rent about 4 months after it was in theaters. Blockbuster is restupid with their rental prices. Redbox is whatever. It works. It is cheap. I use netflix now. One simple price, I can get about 8 to 10 movies a month if i watch them and return them immediately plus I get access to alot of streaming movies. I've already watched about 15 movies and TV shows in the 3 weeks I've had netflix.

So instead of the 4 months I have to wait 5 months for the new releases. No bid deal, It used to be almost a year before Movies were released on DVD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom