New Kickoff rule is official. XFL 3.0 kickoff will be coming to NFL. (1 Viewer)

Probably makes sense just to watch the other team. They are going to have to try to close the gap so they will move as soon as the ball is touched. But, I guess you could get in trouble if they "false start." I wonder what the rule will be if both teams move before the ball is touched? Will the first team get the penalty and not the second team? Or will they just re-kick?
I would say the first team that moves early would get the penalty since they could be guilty of causing the other team to move.

It’s better than a touchback 100% of the time, but looks like peewee league. I never seen a company so determined to make new problems. Just bring back the real kickoff and real onside kick. Fix the broken things, like officiating.

As long as The Clown is in there, the stupidity will just keep on coming. He's the worst Commissioner that ever commissioned.

Rizzi on the McAffe show discussing kickoff... @(1:53:10)

Last edited:
why would they be looking at the returner when they can simply watch for when the kicking team moves to move?

Lets draft someone for this new kick off format. But I do think Taysom is a good option, he's just older now though.

When I first heard this rule I was against it. But after hearing Rizzi on the Dan Patrick show Thursday I started to come around. It could be interesting and will increase the number of returns which is a good thing. The only thing I don't like is the no surprise onsides kick and only a team losing can declare they are going to attempt one.

My husband is watching the San Antonio Brahmas vs. DC Defenders right now. I looked up and saw them interviewing the DC's DC. I said, "Oh. My. Gawd." He said, "Yep, Gregg Williams."

Lol, but why are they so close? Can we separate them like 15 more yards?

The whole point of this new rule is to have less violent collisions. They are doing that in this system to stop guys from running at full speed for thirty yards and then colliding or hitting the returner. Otherwise, the NFL was either going to either eliminate the kickoff or make sure that 90% of kickoffs were touchbacks or fair catches for "player safety".

What also may be different is the makeup of players on the kickoff and return teams.

Will they lean towards more beefier or leaner guys? Could this mean carrying an extra lineman or linebacker or, carrying an extra db or wr?

Also, with 2 returners on the kickoff receiving team we should expect Rashid Shaheed to be one of them. Will the Saints use another speed returner or will they opt to use a RB type such as Taysom Hill?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom