New pup. Advice needed (1 Viewer)

Well, right now my g/f is on her way to come pick me up so we can go get the puppy. We'll get pics and I'll post them here.
This is so cool !

Cute puppy! I don't have any advice for you on this one, RCS. I'm sure they'll all do fine after the intitial grr'ing.

Cute puppy! I don't have any advice for you on this one, RCS. I'm sure they'll all do fine after the intitial grr'ing.

Sharon,
As soon as we got Ladybird home, we introduced her to the other Dachs one at a time, and from moment go, all tails were wagging, no fighting...it was great. It was like the other two were just waiting on her to get here.
This morning RCSg/f took Ladybird to the vet and the older (2 y/o) Dach sat in the living room delivering a head-back howl for an hour. I know she was calling the pup and was upset when she didn't come. Needless to say, the adult Dachs were pleased when she got home :)

But yesterday there were no problems at all. Ladybird has a great home and will have a fun life.
She's even used to her little walking harness :) but didn't quite make it around the block. I think she was frustrated that she couldn't keep up with the other two. LOL

Find another girlfriend. LOL.

UPDATE:
The new pup is great. It has been 3 weeks now and she is learning the important ways of being a Dachshund.
Recently the older one taught her how to stand up and wrestle, which has proven effective against the 3rd and less agile Dach. Of course everything is a toy, including my g/f's shoes. NOt good and we put a stop to that.
Oh yeah, the barking. Learned how to do that too, but her voice hasn't changed, as it were, to what it will be.
Squirrels, Jays, the cat........all are fair game. This has been fun watching her grow.

What's really fun is watching her try to take a flying leap up on to the lounge chairs in the back yard. ~~ Gravity is NOT on her side yet ! LOL

They're great dogs, River City, and the pup's a beauty -- mine is a Dorkie -- half Dachsund/half Yorkie.

And while he looks funny jumping, he's learned the gravity thing and looks like a weenieish Air Jordan grabbing air as he jumps up on the bed or couch. At Primadox's suggestion we got him stairs for the bed, but he jumps right over them (Meaux Jeaux shares the house with four cats -- Archie, Duece, Reggie and Callie) and has a black lab across the street as a friend, so he's a pretty tough and strong little dog.

Last edited:
How in the heck did I miss this thread??? RCS, sounds like everything went well; you got good advice here. Introducing dogs on neutral territory is always a good idea, but honestly with a puppy it's fine even at home; the older dogs will have no fear of any sort of challenge from a baby. They will instictively "care" for the baby in their pack.

As with all doxies...watch the backs. Harness walking, stairs/ramps to furniture, keeping weight down (they should NOT look like stuffed sausages!) are all useful. Steady walking for exercise is a great way to keep their bodies muscled up, and therefore provide stronger support for that long spine.

Fiyo, great looking dog!!! And of course little Ladybird is a doll...post pictures of the others, RCS. Here's a link to pictures of my guys, past and present: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123398&id=1263185143

Update:
Ladybird (pup) is doing great. She has been nicknamed "Torpedo" because of her long snout and ability to go from sleep to 900 mph (aimed at my face) in 1.2 seconds flat.
She can hold her own with the other Dachs and 3 cats. The eldest has taught her to "Daxie box", as my g/f calls it. I think one of the lessons she learned was how to effectively remove her collar.....

Kellye, is it common for Dachshund puppies to dig ?

Kellye, is it common for Dachshund puppies to dig ?

This is very common. They are originally bred to hunt, and to hunt underground. Meaning digging holes to get to that darn badger. Ours dig but not outside. They dig at the sheets on the bed and in between the cushions on the couch, which we've been desperately trying to get them to stop.

This is very common. They are originally bred to hunt, and to hunt underground. Meaning digging holes to get to that darn badger. Ours dig but not outside. They dig at the sheets on the bed and in between the cushions on the couch, which we've been desperately trying to get them to stop.

LOL One of ours digs in the bed and on the sofa also :banghead:, but not too much outside. She pretty much does that only when the pup is doing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom