Next week's tropical threat is Invest 97L...(merged) (1 Viewer)

TPS

Reaction score
Not sure what 97L is going to do. It's in a sheared environment heading into an even worse environment over the next couple of days. But near the end of the weekend, there's a good chance that the SE Gulf or somewhere around the Florida peninsula will be seeing a deepening system. There are other things that have to happen first, and there are no guarantees. But here is what probably is going to happen based on the way things look today:

TD #13 (future Tropical Storm Lorenzo) is sitting in the Gulf of Mexico. It's going to move south, southwest or west into Mexico after spinning down in the Bay of Campeche for a few of days. This could even become a hurricane.

98L (invest off of Southern Florida) is probably going to get picked up by a front/trough this weekend and run up the east coast.

Tropical Storm Karen is going to be a fish spinner, but it may get caught by high pressure building in from the SE post-coldfront and could come back west for a while.

Meanwhile, underneath, 97L will move to a position somewhere near Cuba or Florida with a ridge/cold high building in overtop. This is a classic development pattern underneath. There's a fairly good chance that if it gets going, 97L could become pretty strong. It isn't going to get to Cat 4 or 5, because it's probably too late in the season for anything to get that strong in the Gulf. But it could still become a substantial hurricane and threaten Florida or the Northcentral/Northeast Gulf of Mexico.

You can find a link to 97L at the Naval Research Lab by clicking the link below:
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Also, here's the Goes 12 Hurricane Sector IR Link. Look over toward the islands of Hispanola or Puerto Rico.
http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseasthurrir.html

That's all we've got until probably Friday when the models start picking up on it a little more as the other systems get out of the way.

:shrug:

TPS

And as always...you heard it first, right here on EE.:9:

Tropical Threat this week?

Invest 90L has been declared for a tropical system off the southern Florida east coast. Some global models show it hitting as far east as the panhandle, and as far west as the central TX coast. Just a head's up.

In the spirit of bclemms, here's last week's notes. :hihi: /some selfcongrats

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45490&highlight=tropical

97L was undeclared as 90L ended up being the new invest. Most of the pro mets see this is as likely a subtropical threat if it ever gets going. I know wxman57 said not to expect anything until Tuesday or Wednesday because of 60 and 70k of antcipated shear, but I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree slightly. It may stay in a cold environment, but it's possible that the pattern will reverse as that deep trough splits out towards Mexico and the Pacific. This could lead to a deepening storm at landfall again if landfall was to be in the Western Gulf. I haven't really looked at it too much yet because there isn't much to track yet.

TPS

gboudx and TPS...any sites to show the predicted wave conditions for next week in the gulf. I know there was one with the tropical stuff but i cant locate it. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

/research cruise next week..

FWIW, globals still targeting SWLA/SETX with something. Whatever it is probably won't get too strong. Jeff Masters sees it likely transitioning from Subtropical to Tropical and says the most likely landfall is as a tropical storm (didn't clarify if he was assuming development or if it did develop). 72 hour GFS brings the low to just off the LA Coast Friday morning.

An interesting feature in some of the models and possibly something to pay attention to is a second low, hinted at being much stronger, coming in from the Caribbean in the wake of 90L.

Here are some 12z (7am central) models:

NAM: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/index_pcp_s_loop.shtml

Weakens the low as it moves WNW across the Gulf. Note the secondary low moving toward the Yucatan.

GFS:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/index_pcp_l_loop.shtml

Similar solution as the NAM. Just dissipates 90L (again, note the next low moving toward the Yucatan).

None of the other 12z globals are out yet but should be filtering in over the next hour or two. Anything curious will be posted. FWIW, NOGAPS and ECMWF did not perform well with TD #10 whose situation most resembles 90L. At this time, their solutions are discounted per Derek Ortt.

TPS

An interesting feature in some of the models and possibly something to pay attention to is a second low, hinted at being much stronger, coming in from the Caribbean in the wake of 90L.
TPS

Our local forecaster mentioned something about that last night and had a hint of concern in his voice when he said it.

Where you at Champ, Ft. Lauderdale? :shrug:

This is a cut and paste of Ed Mahmoud's (abdul-raouf) post over at Storm2k (recap of Joe B Big Dog video):

JB (on video) says this may develop a small area of relatively warmer temps aloft within larger upper low, and have narrow area of outflow even as shear screams by in the wrong direction (ie, not an outflow jet, but almost like an anti-outflow jet) such that this can never get above TS strength. He said 40 to 50 knots, 60 knots top, aimed at extreme corner Texas or Louisiana.

But boy, is he ever stoked, about something developing East of the Bahamas, possible with remnants of Karen, possibly not, with very favorable flow aloft, moving general direction of South Florida to Gulf.

He didn't say it, but the overlay MSLP and 500 mb Euro map looked like an Andrew or Katrina type into Gulf then turn Northwestward. The ridge next week ends pretty much right over Lousiana.

Of course, that is just what the EURO map from next week would suggest to me, a guy with a degree that used to know the diffusivity equation, mass balance, multiphase flow in heterogenous porous media, but not a single class in meteorology.

Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
----------------------------------------------------
As for additional 12z models that are out so far (these are the sea level pressures at 1000mb):

Canadian:
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cgi?time=2007100212&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Brings that second low down to the Bay of Campeche but at least in the Gulf. However, note the weakness across Louisiana in the timeframe ahead of the next high pressure. :shrug:

GFS (different presentation than the NOAA 12z posted above):
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfstc2.cgi?time=2007100212&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Does essentially the same thing as the Canadian but then moves the second low towards Texas.

MM5, HRWF, GFDL, NOGAPS, UKMET, ECMWF to be continued...

TPS

Our local forecaster mentioned something about that last night and had a hint of concern in his voice when he said it.

The GFS was picking up on this yesterday morning but I didn't mention it because it tends to produce a second low just behind weak systems that never verify. If this does happen the shear would be much lower and it could become a real concern. As for 97L, it may water some gardens.

Do you have a dictionary or primer for the rest of us to use to translate these posts? The best I can tell, you're predicting a Klingon attack, but I can't be sure

Where you at Champ, Ft. Lauderdale? :shrug:

TPS

I wish, lol. No, I am right down the road from you in New Iberia. Rob Perillo on Channel 3 was telling us to keep an eye on the Carribean next week.

Do you have a dictionary or primer for the rest of us to use to translate these posts? The best I can tell, you're predicting a Klingon attack, but I can't be sure

Well, we'll dumb it down for ya Jonesy. These dark black clouds with lots of rain and wind might affect areas along the Gulf Coast. But these computers that run variants of the Magic 8 ball algorithm(math stuff) are showing different projected paths for these mean looking clouds. :9:

Well, we'll dumb it down for ya Jonesy. These dark black clouds with lots of rain and wind might affect areas along the Gulf Coast. But these computers that run variants of the Magic 8 ball algorithm(math stuff) are showing different projected paths for these mean looking clouds. :9:

Was that so hard? Why don't you just post THAT?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom