N/S NFL Kickers better than ever (1 Viewer)

I remember a couple years ago listening to the Dan Le Batard show, and they were discussing Jason Sanders’ accuracy after a game where he made multiple field goals.

We’re at a point now where all a team’s current kicker has to do is attempt enough field goals to qualify, and he’ll wind up as their most accurate kicker in team history.

For example, Anders Carlson, 2023 kicker for the Packers, went 27/33 on field goals last year, good enough to sneak him past Ryan Longwell and Mason Crosby for the top spot on their all-time list… but he also missed five XPs (Longwell and Crosby each only missed four on the shorter XP, with Crosby missing another 16 in the eight years he spent kicking the longer ones), and Carlson had some misses vs. SF in the playoffs last season, so they brought in competition this spring. Rookie Brayden Narveson has replaced him in 2024, and you can already find local beat articles preaching patience with him (he’s 6/8 on field goals for the year so far, and made all three of his XPs). Now imagine me not knowing any of this before randomly deciding to select the Packers to make this point. Kicking has come such a long way.

If this trend continues I can see talk of narrowing the goal posts start.

There was talk of narrowing the goal posts back in 2015 when the league experimented with it at the Pro Bowl that year.

Excerpts from a 1/20/15 article by Josh Weinfuss, ESPN Staff Writer, as viewed at www.espn.com

NFL tries smaller posts, longer PATs​

Adam Vinatieri and Cody Parkey won't have as easy of a Pro Bowl as they were expecting.

The NFL is narrowing the goalposts for Sunday's game, moving them from 18.6 feet wide to 14 feet wide, NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent said at a Pro Bowl news conference Tuesday at the Arizona Biltmore.

And as the league did early in the preseason, extra points will be moved back to the 15-yard-line, making them 33.5-yard attempts, Vincent added.

"It'll allow us to see exactly how skilled the kicker position has actually become," Vincent said.

Kickers made 83.9 percent of all field goals in 2014 -- including 77.4 percent from 40 to 49 yards and 61 percent of field goals 50 yards or longer -- and 99.3 percent of extra points.

The NFL experimented with moving extra points back to the 15-yard line during the first two preseason games of 2014 and the results didn't change much -- only eight PATs were missed in 141 attempts (94.3 percent). By comparison, only eight extra points out of 1,230 attempts were missed during the 2014 regular season.

Full Article In Link Below:

Then this...Excerpts from a 1/26/15 Staff article Around The NFL as viewed at www.nfl.com

Adam Vinatieri not 'happy' with narrower goal posts​

Adam Vinatieri handled the circumstances with grace on Sunday, but beneath the veteran kicker's gentle facade stood a player who couldn't help but wonder if his position group was getting picked on a bit.

Specifically, Vinatieri wondered how significant the league's average field goal percentage would dip with the narrowed uprights that the NFL experimented with on Sunday.

Vinatieri missed a pair of 35-yard extra points, and a 38-yard field goal after having fewer than five attempts on the new posts before Sunday.

"Ask a receiver, can we take his gloves off because he's catching the ball too well?" Vinatieri said on the field following Team Irvin's 32-28 victory. "Nobody is going to be overly happy about that. But I understand the wheels of change are in motion and people want to change stuff, but I feel bad for the young bucks that will have to deal with it their whole career."

Vinatieri said that a change could make kickers more valuable, but that it will also alter the way a team operates inside their opponent's 40-yard line.
"Yeah, I mean obviously," he said. "I don't know, there was an 83 or 84 percent field goal accuracy this past year, I think this would knock it down to ... I don't know. I do know one thing, I doubt there would be as many 50-yarders attempted because the percentage would go way down."

But on the flip side, how much more exciting does it make a game when the odds of an extra point decrease so significantly? How much better does a matchup become when field goals decrease by 10 percent in reliability?

And this from the company website at:

Call them skinny field goal posts, narrow uprights, thinner goal posts, or arena uprights. The Pro-Posts are a second set of uprights (9 feet) attached to the inside of the standard-width uprights (18 feet 6 inches.) It narrows the space that a kicker can make a kick for practice. Kickers who aim small on Pro-Posts, miss small in games.

Since 2002, the most common margin of victory in the NFL has been 3 points with 418 games out of 2,668 games. This is equivalent to 15.67% of games finishing with a 3 point difference between the winner and loser at the end of the game (sporting charts).

Pro-Posts create a narrower channel, forcing kickers to concentrate on kicking through a much more difficult target. Kickers have to make more accurate kicks in practice, which translates to more points in games. Combined with the Simple Kicking App, kickers significantly increase the chances of winning more games.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IIRC, Morten Anderson began practicing on narrow uprights. Garrett Hartley did as well. I haven't seen anything about Saints recent kicker Will Lutz or current kicker Blake Grupe doing so, but it appears to have been a common practice around the league over the past 25 years or so.

Narrowing the goal posts for NFL kickers would change the game in a number of ways. First, the accuracy of FGs, especially at longer distances, would decrease significantly. Secondly, there would be more routine misses of extra point attempts. Coaches would have to reconsider either going for it or punting more often in situations that are now standard practice to attempt a FG.

Excerpts from a 9/19/24 article by John Breech of CBS Sports as viewed at www.cbssports.com
  • There have been more field goals (141) than touchdowns (136) through two weeks. This marks the first time in NFL history that there have been more field goals than touchdowns through the first two weeks of the season. If the field goal number stays ahead of the touchdown number, we'll see another NFL first because there has NEVER been a season in league history where there have been more field goals than touchdowns.

• Most field goals ever in a single week (73 in Week 2). If your Fantasy kicker scored you a ton of points in Week 2, you're not alone. There were a total of 73 field goals kicked in Week 2, which set the NFL record for a single week. There were 68 field goals in Week 1, which is the third-most ever for a single week.

• Two distance records. Through the first two weeks of the season, kickers have combined to hit 35 of 39 field goals from 50 yards or longer. To put that number in perspective, just consider this: As recently as 2006, there were only 40 field goals from 50 yards or longer for the ENTIRE SEASON and this year's kickers have almost passed that number through two weeks. Their 89.7% conversion rate on long field goals is also the highest accuracy rate ever in any season where there's been at least 15 attempts through the first two weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom