No corner worth #10 pick (1 Viewer)

Deion Sanders didn't seem to have a problem playing CB. DRC will be fine; he has the frame to get bigger. Besides, CBs are an investment in the future; you can't depend on them as rookies.

:plus-un2: why does everyone think the nfl is gone after next year? just because a guy might not make an impact his first year we shouldnt pick him? you never know how ANY positon will play in the pros. mario williams did nothing his first year and posted double degit sack numbers in year two. arron ross was the last cornerback taken in the first round and he started all year for the giants. most of the guys in this draft would be up grades over our current starters at cb so why not take the best one if we get the shot? we should used this draft to infuse youth and talent on our defense. clearly our dbacks are our weak link, so it just makes sense to go that route come draft day.

i agree that we could use some additional pass rush but we can find that later in the draft of FA. its gonna be much cheaper to get a guy like t-suggs or corey williams to help the dline, than to sign one of the top corners. so what if he struggles as a rookie if he can have a sophmore season like cormartie, or not get burned for a td like jd/freddyt i think its worth the risk.

McKelvin could be the pick if he has a good workout.

You're right though, there will be a better talent available at #10 than any of the CBs

Maybe it has something to do with our immediate need at CB. Maybe if Mckenzie was fully healthy, we could take on a project like DRC ala Usama Young in 2007. Deion Sanders was consider one of the best Corners to have played in college. There is no comparison. DRC is a small school prospect that didn't play quality opponents. That's a huge question mark.

Ross played corner for 3 years at Texas who played quality opponents. It's not like he was some chump either.

HM...Why can't you depend on rookie corners as a rookie? In the last 5 years, Revis, Ross, Huff, Pacman, Rogers, Hall, Robinson, Newman, and Trufant were first round corners who made an impact their rookie year. There are plenty of corners who came in and played well. That's the path we should take if we take a corner in the first.

can we trade our first rounder for a proven veteran CB? trufant perhaps? i would think that the 10th overall pick would be pretty coveted

:ipuker:Rivers

+1

Yeah the guy who led USC in tackles the past 2 years is really that bad.

what is saying much for his NFL career ....

@topic ... probably no corner worth hit. maybe phillips is the only DB worth picking in the top ten. but otherwise mayock had in slipped out of round 1. since i believe the saints won´t trade down anytime , they will move one or two spots to get one of the DTs or the stay and pick the obvious BPA pick , maybe ryan clady for example.

I would love to have Ellis at #10. It's just highly unlikely to happen. This staff is going to start Shanle. Plus, Rivers is highly overrated. Having David as the only healthy starter is like having no starter at CB. He's a small, average talent at best, cover 2 CB. The Saints have to take a CB at #10. The CB's available are certainly as worthy as anyone else that will be available at that spot with Dorsey and Ellis gone. It would be nice to trade down, but this isn't Madden. The only hope is moving down with a team like Detroit who most think wants a CB too. They may want to move up to have their choice. But, there's alot of middle round talent in this draft, and draft picks are a premium in the NFL.

I am not sure who is really the best to take at #10. I don't see any of the ILBs or CBs as a top 10. Most I think are worth a 15-20 pick. IF we can get Ellis or Dorsey at #10 it will be perfect, but I don't think either will last that long.

I'm waiting for the combine to make a real decision on what I think about our #10 pick... Right now, I don't see anyone that is PERFECT accept a couple that won't make it to our pick.

We are position to draft the Best CB in the draft at #10. Lets not screw it up.

BTW, as someone who has gotten to follow the Jenkins "character issues" thing, it's garbage, and it will not hurt his draft status... His character is more likely to help his draft status... His arrest was a weird incident, in which he did nothing wrong really, but he was angered and refused to talk to the cop... And charges were dropped... He was always looked at as a leader and a family man though... Turned down LSU to stay close to his diabetic mother so he could help...

He has shown very good man coverage skills over a 4-year period against some solid competition... Something the other CBs can not boast.

I have got a sneaky feeling tha the Saints will trade down to beef up in numbers rather than sign marquee player(s).

Now I realize that this is a critical position of need for the Saints but I just can't justify this high of a pick for a cornerback this year. It seems that the two up and comers that you hear the most about lately are Cromartie and McKelvin. Well, to me, these two are very suspect as far as the level of competition these two have played against in their college careers and I really don't see how either one could come in and be a starter from Day 1.
Jenkins and Talib both have character issues which we have strayed from and I'm not so sure either are worth the pick if there weren't any off the field issues.

Now, I think we can all agree that if available Dorsey or Ellis is the way to go with the #10 pick but it is a stretch to expect one to fall so far to us. I'm not in favor of moving up but wouldn't mind moving down but that is so hard to project.

So, what to do? Linebacker would seem to be the most immediate need and possibly our best chance at value @ the #10 selection. I would say WR Jackson might be an option but I just don't see Payton burning another 1st round selection at the position......though I do think Meacham has a great chance to succeed for us next season.

In browsing around draft sites only one linebacker seems to be consistently in the top 15 selections and that is Keith Rivers from USC. I think he could come in and start immediately for this team at the Mike linebacker position regardless of what happens in FA. He along with Fujita and Shanle/FA/draftee would improve the defense by adding a playmaker in the middle and replacing a completely inept Mark Simoneaux who should have never been in the starting lineup last season.

After selecting Rivers in Round 1 then I think you should still be able to select a potential nickel/starter at the cornerback position in round 2 with players such as Patrick Lee, Brandon Flowers, Antoine Cason. I do believe that in this day and age of medical technology and players ability to recover quickly that McKenzie will be back in the starting lineup opening day and between Usama Young, Jason David, Craft and draftees/possibly FA's that another starter should emerge.

Gotta say I wouldn't mind us going back to back LB'ers in the first 2 rounds if Lofton available but I would be surprised to see them do it.

Sorry to ramble but not finding much interest in this Pro Bowl and looking for other means of entertainment.

I agree with your position here. The only corner that would have warranted the 10 selection is Malcolm Jenkins and he stayed at OSU. We should stay at number 10 to see if Dorsey or Ellis fall and then move attention to the O-Line. Rivers would not be a bad selection but there is much better value at LB in round 2. This is a rich LB draft. Kenny Phillips may also get a look here. But why not look at a stud Offensive lineman if he is there. If you have a shot at the best OT, draft him and consider moving Stinchcomb to the interior line.

I also don't like the trade scenario. We need all of these picks. We must get our CB help in free agency regardless what it cost.

HOMEWORK PEOPLE! :worthy: antoine cason = darelle revis of last year. if he times sub 4.4 he wont make it to the 10th pick.

He parallels nearer to Daymeion Hughes. 1st-2nd round prospect who was highly productive at college but run a slow 40 and drop

Saintsrays and Pennstater are correct.

He parallels nearer to Daymeion Hughes. 1st-2nd round prospect who was highly productive at college but run a slow 40 and drop

the same was said about revis's speed everyone had him as a 4.5 guy because thats what he ran in highschool same as cason, and thats where i was making the comparison. now as far as cover skills i think cason is above revis and hughes. revis wasnt the best cover guy in his draft, but he was the first cornerback taken because of his return ability. leon hall and arron ross were better cover guys.

Maybe it has something to do with our immediate need at CB. Maybe if Mckenzie was fully healthy, we could take on a project like DRC ala Usama Young in 2007. Deion Sanders was consider one of the best Corners to have played in college. There is no comparison. DRC is a small school prospect that didn't play quality opponents. That's a huge question mark.

Ross played corner for 3 years at Texas who played quality opponents. It's not like he was some chump either.

HM...Why can't you depend on rookie corners as a rookie? In the last 5 years, Revis, Ross, Huff, Pacman, Rogers, Hall, Robinson, Newman, and Trufant were first round corners who made an impact their rookie year. There are plenty of corners who came in and played well. That's the path we should take if we take a corner in the first.

ross may have played corner for the longhorns but he only started 1year! that was the only knock on him, that he was raw. the same can be said for drc and the big 10 is not the sec so the level of competition that ross played in was not that great. good yes but not sec good. my points is if you can play u can play school does not and should not matter. i mean our best draft pick came for HOFSTRA!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom