NYT/ATHLETIC : Surprise contenders coming this season (1 Viewer)

Reaction score

Surprise contenders?​

The Atlanta Falcons and Los Angeles Chargers are a bit of a surprise with how high they sit as potential playoff teams, but each has a top-five easiest schedule, according to my model. Both teams should also see a significant upgrade at the quarterback position compared with last year. The Falcons signed Kirk Cousins, who is a borderline top-10 quarterback in the NFL, and the Chargers are welcoming back Justin Herbert after an injury-riddled season and now have Jim Harbaugh taking over as coach.

Surprise non-contenders?​

The Houston Texans are a little low for my liking, but it’s more the fact they are about to face a top-10 toughest schedule. Last year, the Texans played a last-place schedule; this year they’ll play a first-place schedule. That’s going to limit their ceiling heading into 2024.

The Los Angeles Rams are another team that might seem a little low, but I don’t have a problem with their placement here. On offense, I think they’ll be fine. Sean McVay and Matthew Stafford with all those assets should have no problem lighting up the scoreboard. But a new defensive coordinator paired with a young unit and no Aaron Donald seems like a lot to overcome.
Falcons just became serious contenders this week. People are buying them now. I know it is not what you want to hear but is there anything we can do to stop this? Just frustrated today.

Falcons just became serious contenders this week. People are buying them now. I know it is not what you want to hear but is there anything we can do to stop this? Just frustrated today.

Aren’t they picked to run away with the division every year?

Last edited:
Yeah. We can stop it by beating them. Very beatable team last year and this year. Running QB’s are our kryptonite paired with a good run game. Statues are our strength; eg Tom Brady. Failcon fans like to say “we lost because of Ridder” when it was actually one of the main reasons they had a chance. If you look at last year, we actually carved that defense up both games we played. Major difference being we came to a screeching halt once we got to the redzone in the first matchup. Yeah, they got Judon and Simmons, but color me unimpressed. It will be a toss up and good games, like they always are early in the season.

Contenders for what?

They’re no better than 7th or 8th best NFC team going into the season

SF - Just light years better
Eagles - much better roster up and down
Cowboys - much better roster up and down
Lions - much better coached and better roster
Packers - just better
Bears - much better roster just depends on Williams
Rams - way better roster and coach

Then there’s a couple teams that can come in around this area with the Falcons likely being the best going in of the bunch

Contenders for the South? Of course, they’ve been a big favorite to win the South for months. They’re definitely not a SB contender with a below average defense

Contenders for what?

They’re no better than 7th or 8th best NFC team going into the season

SF - Just light years better
Eagles - much better roster up and down
Cowboys - much better roster up and down
Lions - much better coached and better roster
Packers - just better
Bears - much better roster just depends on Williams
Rams - way better roster and coach

Then there’s a couple teams that can come in around this area with the Falcons likely being the best going in of the bunch

Contenders for the South? Of course, they’ve been a big favorite to win the South for months. They’re definitely not a SB contender with a below average defense

There QB is better than ours.Even if they had to chreat to get him. You can’t even play our QB on Madden. They filled some key voids this week. They will be a headache. Got to give Terry Fontenot some credit for being aggressive. Could this be another 28-3 moment? I hope so!

I also noticed you brought up the Cowboys. They got a problem if the old man is not paying his players.

There QB is better than ours.Even if they had to chreat to get him. You can’t even play our QB on Madden. They filled some key voids this week. They will be a headache. Got to give Terry Fontenot some credit for being aggressive. Could this be another 28-3 moment? I hope so!

I also noticed you brought up the Cowboys. They got a problem if the old man is not paying his players.
I did not include us because I think they are slightly ahead of us. You said they are serious contenders, which they are not. Unless you are referring to just the division or making the playoffs which they have been the favorite to win the division since signing Cousins. It is my opinion that Cousins is also better than Carr, but the stats say they are close, or they are one in the same.

I did not include us because I think they are slightly ahead of us. You said they are serious contenders, which they are not. Unless you are referring to just the division or making the playoffs which they have been the favorite to win the division since signing Cousins. It is my opinion that Cousins is also better than Carr, but the stats say they are close, or they are one and the same.
It’s either Atlanta or Tampa winning the division. The other one ( Atlanta or Tampa) probably gets a Wild Card. It is a step up regardless for Atlanta.

Saints just happy to be at 7-10 again. Would 8-9 be considered a success this season?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom