Oak Island Buried Treasure (1 Viewer)

cpg

Catacomb the desert
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I initially read about the mysteries of Oak Island and its supposed buried treasure in a Rolling Stone article several years ago and have been intrigued by the story ever since. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find that article online currently - which is more interesting for its engineering theories than its actual treasure hunting aspect. There are many theories as to the contents of the supposed "money pit" including Marie Antoinette's jewels, unseen works of Shakespeare, the treasure of Spanish marauders and the buried treasures of Captain Kidd and Blackbeard. Whatever is down there, if anything at all, someone went to some pretty great lengths to make sure that no one ever found it.

Several excavations have been attempted and are doomed to a similar fate of having the excavation flooded. Many millions of dollars have been spent during these excavations and it has cost no less than six lives. Franklin D. Roosevelt was among one of the workers in one excavation and was apparently quite intrigued by the contents of the pit.

Anyway, I figured I would pass this along on a slow Friday before the week of Christmas. Also, all "treasure trove" excavation on the island must cease on December 31, 2010, so it would seem that unless something is uncovered in the next week, the mystery surrounding the island will be there forever.

According to one of the earliest written accounts, at 80–90 feet (24–27 m), they recovered a large stone bearing an inscription of symbols. Several researchers apparently attempted to decipher the symbols. One translated them as saying: "forty feet below, two million pounds lie buried."<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-Trans002_4-1>[</SUP>

Investors formed The Truro Company in 1849, which re-excavated the shaft back down to the 86 feet (26 m) level, where it flooded again. They then drilled into the ground below the bottom of the shaft. According to the nineteenth-century account, the drill or "pod auger" passed through a spruce platform at 98 feet (30 m), a 12 inches (300 mm) head space, 22 inches (560 mm) of what was described as "metal in pieces", 8 inches (200 mm) of oak, another 22 inches (560 mm) of metal, 4 inches (100 mm) of oak, another spruce layer, and finally into clay for 7 feet (2.1 m) without striking anything else.

The 1931 excavations by William Chappell sank a 163-foot (50 m) shaft 12x14 feet to the southwest of what he believed was the site of the 1897 shaft, close to the original pit. At 127 feet (39 m), a number of artifacts, including an axe, an anchor fluke, and a pick were found. The pick has been identified as a Cornish miner's poll pick. By this time, the entire area around the Money Pit was littered with the debris and refuse of numerous prior excavation attempts, so exactly to whom the pick belonged is unverifiable.

Around 1967, Daniel C. Blankenship and David Tobias formed Triton Alliance, Ltd. and purchased most of the island. In 1971, Triton workers excavated a 235 feet (72 m) shaft supported by a steel caisson to bedrock. According to Blankenship and Tobias, cameras lowered down the shaft into a cave below recorded the presence of some chests, human remains, wooden cribbing and tools; however, the images were unclear, and none of these claims have been independently confirmed.

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQnpvOV0hGI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQnpvOV0hGI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think its a cool phenomenon. The shaft is like a death chamber, the waters can come in from both sides and they have even use dye to find reference points.

My favorite theory of them all would be that of the Knights Templar may have rested the Holy Grail down there. Who knows, probably no one ever will.

I think its a cool phenomenon. The shaft is like a death chamber, the waters can come in from both sides and they have even use dye to find reference points.

My favorite theory of them all would be that of the Knights Templar may have rested the Holy Grail down there. Who knows, probably no one ever will.
Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. I just find it stunning that with all of the modern technology and equipment we have, no one has figured out a way to shore or brace the water from rushing in while excavation is ongoing. Just crazy the engineering that went into it some 500 years ago.

Forgot to add the wikipedia link in the first post for anyone interested in the whole story...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

They could but it would cost billions to make a structure on each side the water go into the island with such force. Then basicaly destroying the entire area into a mudd slosh. I guess its who wants to deal with it and who wants to pay for it is what it comes down to. Would be cool though to see if all those theories were true it would change alot of things in christianity forever.

I wish you would have just sent this info to me via PM, now everyone is going to know.

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. I just find it stunning that with all of the modern technology and equipment we have, no one has figured out a way to shore or brace the water from rushing in while excavation is ongoing. Just crazy the engineering that went into it some 500 years ago.

[/URL]

I think this is more likelyz (from Wiki)

Suggestions that the pit is a natural phenomenon, specifically a sinkhole or debris in a fault, date to at least 1911.[25][26][27][28] There are numerous sinkholes on the mainland near the island, together with underground caves (to which the apparent booby traps are attributed).

The appearance of a man-made pit has been attributed partly to the texture of sinkholes: "this filling would be softer than the surrounding ground, and give the impression that it had been dug up before",[28] and the appearance of "platforms" of rotten logs has been incorrectly attributed to trees or "blowdowns" falling or washing into the depression.[29] An undetermined pit similar to the description of the early Money Pit had been discovered in the area. In 1949, workmen digging a well on the shore of Mahone Bay, at a point where the earth was soft, found a pit of the following description: "At about two feet down a layer of fieldstone was struck. Then logs of spruce and oak were unearthed at irregular intervals, and some of the wood was charred. The immediate suspicion was that another Money Pit had been found."

I think this is more likelyz (from Wiki)

Suggestions that the pit is a natural phenomenon, specifically a sinkhole or debris in a fault, date to at least 1911.[25][26][27][28] There are numerous sinkholes on the mainland near the island, together with underground caves (to which the apparent booby traps are attributed).

The appearance of a man-made pit has been attributed partly to the texture of sinkholes: "this filling would be softer than the surrounding ground, and give the impression that it had been dug up before",[28] and the appearance of "platforms" of rotten logs has been incorrectly attributed to trees or "blowdowns" falling or washing into the depression.[29] An undetermined pit similar to the description of the early Money Pit had been discovered in the area. In 1949, workmen digging a well on the shore of Mahone Bay, at a point where the earth was soft, found a pit of the following description: "At about two feet down a layer of fieldstone was struck. Then logs of spruce and oak were unearthed at irregular intervals, and some of the wood was charred. The immediate suspicion was that another Money Pit had been found."
Certainly a possibility, maybe even a probability, but decidedly less fun.:hihi:

I became interested in the story after reading "Riptide" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Even though the book is fiction, the authors certainly did their homework in researching the Money Pit. I enjoyed the story and used the info given to look up more articles about the "treasure." I would compare it to "The DaVinci Code" of buried treasure. Enjoy the story, but leave it to the reader to separate fact from fiction.

<object width="640" height="385">they kinda get into the whole ancient alien theory but the way they describe the pit is whats most interesting.. it doesn't sound like a natural phenomenon to me..

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw-lCOHbya8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

Whomever gets close to finding the treasure, I sure hope Jaraldo Rivera does a live special on it.....

It is a vault that floods, so if it held Shakespeare's manuscripts and various treasure, would it not be ruined by water?

The mystery of the Oak Island Money Pit is less of a mystery than this dudes hair...
images

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom