On the bright side, we wouldn't face any 3-4 defenses until the SB. (1 Viewer)

LickenKittens

Very Banned
Reaction score
I really don't think the weather was a factor last game. 3-4 defenses just seem to give us trouble. 3 out of our 4 losses have been to 3-4 defenses and one of our close ones (Dallas) runs a 3-4. Obviously we can beat teams who run this defense, but we fair much better against the 4-3. On top of that the only really stout defense we would potentially face in the playoffs is Chicago. Look, it ain't gonna be easy to win three on the road, but out of any wild-card team, I think we can do it.

This team is responsible for putting themselves in this situation. What really matters is how we're gonna respond. Geaux Saints.

I am a bit confused as to why the 3-4 troubles Brees. It would seem that Coach Payton and Drew Brees are so doggone smart that they could figure this thing out. But that has been the patter for that past few years that the 3-4 gives us fits.

Although, if we had Ivory and he did his normal usual gangbuster job of running it might have made a huge difference.

I am a bit confused as to why the 3-4 troubles Brees. It would seem that Coach Payton and Drew Brees are so doggone smart that they could figure this thing out.

Well our whole division runs a 4-3. That's 6 games a year. Most of the NFC runs a 4-3. It's about exposure. The 3-4 seems to confuse our blocking assignments period.

Well our whole division runs a 4-3. That's 6 games a year. Most of the NFC runs a 4-3. It's about exposure. The 3-4 seems to confuse our blocking assignments period.
I understand that, and it's a given. It's just that Brees and Payton are so cerebral. You'd figure that they'd just be prepared for this system, you know.

I guess in boxing terms, it'd be like fighting a southpaw. And just maybe there are some fundamentals that must be utilized when playing a 3-4.

I am a bit confused as to why the 3-4 troubles Brees. It would seem that Coach Payton and Drew Brees are so doggone smart that they could figure this thing out. But that has been the patter for that past few years that the 3-4 gives us fits.

Although, if we had Ivory and he did his normal usual gangbuster job of running it might have made a huge difference.

I'm not sure how much of a difference Ivory would have made. He would have helped for certain, but our line wasn't getting the push needed.

I understand that, and it's a given. It's just that Brees and Payton are so cerebral. You'd figure that they'd just be prepared for this system, you know.

I guess in boxing terms, it'd be like fighting a southpaw. And just maybe there are some fundamentals that must be utilized when playing a 3-4.

Well it wasn't like it was a total failure. We did some good things too yesterday. It's personnel too. The bigger lineman (and really the bigger front 7 period) seems to give our line trouble.

I'm not sure how much of a difference Ivory would have made. He would have helped for certain, but our line wasn't getting the push needed.

Right, definitely an o-line issue. The Saints simply do not run well against 3-4 D's, especially ones with big run stuffers in the middle (which most of them have).

Whatever, that Ravens defense didn't give us trouble. We move the ball pretty well. Brees had 3 TDs against them. Sean Payton playing Reggie Bush is the thing that gives and gave us trouble. Not to mention defense lost that game.

I think we struggle against 3-4 defenses because our team appears to be built on speed, more than strength. Teams that run 3-4 defenses seem to always have huge D lineman (especially NTs), and big, speedy linebackers, that can and will run with our TE's and RBs.

My biggest concern about yesterday, outside of the poor tackling and questionable play-calling at times, was the fact that the Saints never looked aggressive out there, and also, they allowed the Ravens to get in their heads - When I see a receiver or RB run backwards, the very first thing that comes to my mind is that they are playing in a very non-aggressive manner. When I see our defensive players constantly going t*it for tat throughout the game with their players, I see a team that's not being disciplined, that's allowing the opposing players and environment to take away their focus, resulting in stupid, drive extending/killing penalties.

Whatever, that Ravens defense didn't give us trouble. We move the ball pretty well. Brees had 3 TDs against them. Sean Payton playing Reggie Bush is the thing that gives and gave us trouble. Not to mention defense lost that game.

So they didn't shut down our run game?

No, didnt you see the part about Reggie Bush? Every other running back had an awesome day. It was all Reggie's fault, with a tiny little bit of bad tackling involved (probably Reggie's fault somehow too)

There are plenty of 4-3's that have shut down our run game as well over the years.

While I do believe we struggle more against a 3-4 generally speaking, I'm not sure yesterday was an example of that. We moved the ball, scored a decent crop of points, all while being on the road against a great defense overall (no matter what scheme they run).

The offense did more then enough to win. Ray Rice beat us.

This. SP is an offensive genius. Why can't he figure this out?

Yes, they did.

Bottom line is, we did not have an active running back that was going to be able to do much against that defense. Playing a team like the Ravens, it's about strength more than speed. We can clamor for the Saints to stay committed to the run, or even establish it, but that takes some time against that kind of defense, and while you're doing it, you're losing offensive plays. Rushing for 1 or negative yards is not establishing anything, and if you keep doing it, you're committing to futility. Knowing this, the Ravens prepared to play pass defense most of that game, and blitzed effectively to shake and rattle Brees, and IMO, it worked. He rushed throws when he didn't have to, and their secondary/LBers did a good job of knocking our receivers off their routes.

Finally, I think Payton and Co. were lulled to sleep by that Monday Night game between the Ravens and Texans. What clued me into this was 2 things: 1 - all the throwing to start the game and #2 - What Payton told the sideline reporter at the half, and I paraphrase, "We feel that we still have the advantage because they are wearing down as a result of the short week". Perhaps this would have been the case if there was some way to keep the Ravens' D on the field, but those guys were pretty fresh from beginning to end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom