Our best pick (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
McCoy is good but I love the chancyy Johnson pick. I believe that the saints will let von bell walk next year. Von was supposed to be a ball hawk but wasn't. Johnson is. I love this pick.

In terms of value, it was certainly the Saints best pick, and arguably the best pick of the round in terms of projection vs actual landing spot. Close to draft day, CGJ was often mocked in round 1. The production and athletic profile certainly suggest he can be a productive NFL player.

He’s our version of Tyrann Mathieu for sure. He can play in the box safety, deep safety, and his best spot, slot corner.

I don’t think this means Vonn Bell is gone. Plus Bell is our strong safety, so he doesn’t need to be a ball hawk. I don’t think CGJ will be a strong safety due to his size, but who knows. Today’s NFL has made certain positions totally different than what they used to be a decade ago.

Marcus Williams is supposed to be our ball hawk. I think Marcus will work his tail off and show to be the player he looked like as a rookie. I think the CGJ & Hampton picks will make him work even harder to keep his spot.

I think CGJ will likely never be a starter. He is probably gonna be our long term slot corner and 3rd safety. In today’s NFL having 5 or more DBs on the field is used the most, so he may not start but he will be on the field more than the 3rd linebacker. I rather him in the slot covering slot receivers, tight ends, and backs. I also rather him blitzing from the slot cause he has shown to be a really effective blitzer. The kid is a playmaker and you could always use those in the secondary either getting interceptions or sacks.

He’s our version of Tyrann Mathieu for sure. He can play in the box safety, deep safety, and his best spot, slot corner.

I don’t think this means Vonn Bell is gone. Plus Bell is our strong safety, so he doesn’t need to be a ball hawk. I don’t think CGJ will be a strong safety due to his size, but who knows. Today’s NFL has made certain positions totally different than what they used to be a decade ago.

Marcus Williams is supposed to be our ball hawk. I think Marcus will work his tail off and show to be the player he looked like as a rookie. I think the CGJ & Hampton picks will make him work even harder to keep his spot.

I think CGJ will likely never be a starter. He is probably gonna be our long term slot corner and 3rd safety. In today’s NFL having 5 or more DBs on the field is used the most, so he may not start but he will be on the field more than the 3rd linebacker. I rather him in the slot covering slot receivers, tight ends, and backs. I also rather him blitzing from the slot cause he has shown to be a really effective blitzer. The kid is a playmaker and you could always use those in the secondary either getting interceptions or sacks.
I just have a feeling he'll end up being our Strong safety, plus he's is a little bigger than Vonn Bell.

I think McCoy’s a great pick & will be an All Pro/Pro Bowl level player like Ry-Ram ended up being. But i honestly think Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is the best guy we drafted. Straight up, i think he has superstar level potential.

I can't choose between the McCoy and Gardner-Johnson picks. Like them both as much as almost any pick in the Payton era. I agree with @Joodas Avila that McCoy is the equivalent of the Ramczyk pick and has some All Pro awards in his future. Gardner-Johnson will be a star as well. Dennis Allen is going to have a lot of fun moving him all around the secondary and keeping QBs guessing.

It isn't a saints draft, until dr gripes about picks

It isn't a saints draft, until dr gripes about picks
Did you miss that thread? It was only a meltdown on drafting a center with our first pick. A meltdown that only lasted one night because he was back the next day walking his hatred back. Kinda disappointing for a DR draft hell thread.

Bell played extremely well last year. I don’t think this is his replacement unless someone is willing to pay more than we are when it comes time to give him a new deal. And if he plays as well or better than last year then I can most definitely see that happening.

Bell was one of the strongest pieces in our secondary last season. I’ll go as far as saying he was the best piece as he was consistent. Lattimore and Williams had several bad games and Apple was picked on almost as much as Crawley.

Bell played extremely well last year. I don’t think this is his replacement unless someone is willing to pay more than we are when it comes time to give him a new deal. And if he plays as well or better than last year then I can most definitely see that happening.

Bell was one of the strongest pieces in our secondary last season. I’ll go as far as saying he was the best piece as he was consistent. Lattimore and Williams had several bad games and Apple was picked on almost as much as Crawley.
I like Bell a lot, but he has never picked off an NFL QB. It's a tall task, but if CGJ can provide everything Bell can while also being a ball hawk, then Bell becomes expendable. We have no idea what Dennis Allen's plans are for CGJ right now, but I wouldn't rule anything out. No matter his role, if CGJ is the playmaker I think he will be, he'll eventually have to stay on the field in both base and nickel/dime, and Bell will be forced into the role as the 5th DB. I think his value on the open market would exceed his value to the Saints in that scenario, but again this all hinges on CGJ being a beast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom