Speculation Owners Pondering Idea of QBs Having Separate Salary Cap (1 Viewer)

Isn’t the trend towards positionless players? Why not just designate every player on the roster as a QB and spend, spend, spend. What constitutes a Qb? Throwing 1 forward pass, making 1 handoff or “QB” sneak?

I don't like it. This is Jerry Jones trying to find a way to pay Dak 60mil, CeeDee and Parsons 30mil, and still put a super bowl roster around them. It's time to make tough decisions. Pay Dak or play Trey next year. You can't have it both ways.

If they say you can pay your QBs 60 mil and can't spend that money on any other position, any team without a QB worth that much will be at a bigger disadvantage than they are now.

Isn’t the trend towards positionless players? Why not just designate every player on the roster as a QB and spend, spend, spend. What constitutes a Qb? Throwing 1 forward pass, making 1 handoff or “QB” sneak?
I still remember the days when Taysom Hill was taking snaps under center for run plays, and people were getting upset that he was taking snaps from Drew, Jameis, Andy Dalton, and Derek.

They are all overpaid from the owners on down.

Now excuse me while I decide what to cancel to pony up for the 2024 NFL Sunday Ticket, Amazon Prime, ESPN, NFL Network, CBS, NBC, FOX, and NO. Football.

I'm totally against carving the QB out of the salary cap equation. Sure, it's great if you are one of the 6-10 teams who have a legit star starting QB, but if you are slotted at QB 10-20, your only real chance to compete is to be able to spend money on other positions. The current system also really puts an incentive into drafting a young CHEAP quarterback if you are between QB 20-32. If you hit on that pick, you can field a good team for 3-5 years afterward.

On paper, yeah, teams with superstar or even good established QB's would be in favor of this scheme, but teams who are still looking for a superstar....... what do they do with that "extra" QB money that they don't use?

I like the idea of a high value player execption. It would be one player per franchise and not more than 20-25 percent of the salary cap. It would be up to 20 to 25 percent over the cap. For instance if the cap is 100 million, and a team is at already at 85 million, they could play a single additional player up to 35 million per year and exceed the cap without any consequences.

If a team does exceed 20 percent, they could then do so by an additional 5 percent of the overall cap but they would then pay a dollar for dollar tax over the 20 percent threshold and that money goes into a general fund to be distributed to all of the teams. So in the scenario above, a team could pay a franchise QB or other player 40 million, but they would play an additional 5 million in luxury tax.

I like the idea of a high value player execption. It would be one player per franchise and not more than 20-25 percent of the salary cap. It would be up to 20 to 25 percent over the cap. For instance if the cap is 100 million, and a team is at already at 85 million, they could play a single additional player up to 35 million per year and exceed the cap without any consequences.

If a team does exceed 20 percent, they could then do so by an additional 5 percent of the overall cap but they would then pay a dollar for dollar tax over the 20 percent threshold and that money goes into a general fund to be distributed to all of the teams. So in the scenario above, a team could pay a franchise QB or other player 40 million, but they would play an additional 5 million in luxury tax.
Owners will never agree to a system where any payment to a player doesn't count against the cap. I also can't see a way that the NFLPA will agree to limiting a players salary, so I doubt anything will change any time soon on this issue.

Does the practice squad count against the cap?

If it does, make it a separate cap of$32/M. Every team gets the same relief and practice squad can conceivably be paid $2/M per player

Why just QB? Why not position wide?

Set a threshold for each level of greatness to achieve and make them fight for something again. Players getting paid in college before pro is really going to affect the game negatively moving forward

I say just have positional cap limits:
QB: 20 - 40 mil
Rb: 8 - 15
wr: 8 - 20
etc
(keep in mind zero math was done in this just providing a corporate infrastructure pay scale)
any revenue generated gets reinvested in stadium and community/state (after the owners get their cut of course

No disrespect intended with the reaction...I just truly don't understand your proposed solution. Can you expand on your point?

If your point is for the owners to impose a position bucket cap across all players then what you're going to get is a player union strike.
He's saying their should be a cap on what you can pay a QB I think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom