Peat vs Lelito (1st drive) (1 Viewer)

Raymond

Veteran
Reaction score
Peat may have had 1 miscommunication, but overall he did very well at LG. Looked comfortable, found his man on each plan and actually blocked him extremely well.

Lelito at RG. Physically man handled on every snap, well every snap that we actually attempted to block someone that is. I'm sorry, but he's not good enough to be the primary G backup.

Hope we have a better option in Kelemete or we claim someone off waiver wire that is sure to an upgrade, if not it's going to be a long season.

hopefully peat has found his place at LG and LT/LG/C is locked up for the foreseeable future. strief for a season. RG needs something fast.

Haven't made it that far, how did he do last night, and what position did he play?

He played in the 2nd quarter. I think in those 3rd and 4th drives before the 3rd stringers came in and the line went to garbage.

But I can't remember where he was. The main reason I know he came in was the announcers mentioned him coming onto the field.

I'm not even sure Peat was at fault in that safety blitz through the B gap. Stinch tried to explain that that was a protection call which would put it on Unger.

Barnes looked ok, he gave up a sack on McCown but I really think it was the running backs fault. He was walking the right end around the backside and our back hit him from behind and took one of his legs out.

In the 2nd Qtr Barnes was at RT for those snaps. When the OL fell to pieces and almost gave up a safety it was Hills LT, Peat LG, Henry C, Lelito RG and Barnes at RT.

I think we should, and I hope we will find (1) starter RG and at least (1) backup guard in all the cuts that will happen between now and the Sept 2 deadline. Perhaps Barnes will work out, but we still need more ready to play guards. KS & TL may be worst this year than last, injuries or not. The depth of our online roster is not on the team yet, I hope.

On the blitz it was clear that Peat blocked his assignment. Not sure whether Brees or Unger calls out the mike and hot but that's where the problem was.

I think we'll roll with Armstead, Peat, Unger, (Lelito/Kelemete/Barnes), Strief with Barnes as swing G/T and Kelemete as swing C/G and one more from the pack. That last guy is anyone's guess at this point as the top 7 have enough versatility to cover all the spots.

On the blitz it was clear that Peat blocked his assignment. Not sure whether Brees or Unger calls out the mike and hot but that's where the problem was.

I think we'll roll with Armstead, Peat, Unger, (Lelito/Kelemete/Barnes), Strief with Barnes as swing G/T and Kelemete as swing C/G and one more from the pack. That last guy is anyone's guess at this point as the top 7 have enough versatility to cover all the spots.

That's what I'm thinking too, but I have to admit I'm concerned about the right side of the line in this scenario.

They did say that Barnes is more comfortable on the left side (LG, LT), but he seems willing and eager to get into the mix on the right side quickly. They said he stayed at the facility till 10:30 the night he signed, learning the playbook and calls, and then stayed up late at his hotel studying more. That's a good sign.

Peat may have had 1 miscommunication, but overall he did very well at LG. Looked comfortable, found his man on each plan and actually blocked him extremely well.

Lelito at RG. Physically man handled on every snap, well every snap that we actually attempted to block someone that is. I'm sorry, but he's not good enough to be the primary G backup.

Hope we have a better option in Kelemete or we claim someone off waiver wire that is sure to an upgrade, if not it's going to be a long season.

If you're referring to the play where the safety came up to the line and came in between Peat and Unger, Stinch broke that play down for us. He mentioned how Ungers head and body language dictated which guy he was going to pick up and which guy Peat should then take. Based on that, Peat made the right check.

Peat at LG makes perfect sense. He has two pro bowl level players on either side, great place to settle in and fulfill a role. All 3 players are locked up for the next few seasons so there will be stability and chemistry on the line. Hopefully Turner can earn the RG spot, if not Kelemente looks like the best available option. Strief will have to hang tough for 1 more season until we can get some help at OT. And it goes without saying the Saints need Armstead healthy as he's the best lineman we have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom