Saints Penning gives a presser about his change to RT… sounds motivated! (1 Viewer)

Hopefully! I don’t know what happened with Penning, but you don’t go from one of the better OT prospects to unable to block just like that. In my mind the issue is likely in his head, and if so I hope the young man has taken steps to fix it, whether it translates to on-the-field success or no.

If he can be a contributor, the Saints will be better off for it.

Hopefully! I don’t know what happened with Penning, but you don’t go from one of the better OT prospects to unable to block just like that. In my mind the issue is likely in his head, and if so I hope the young man has taken steps to fix it, whether it translates to on-the-field success or no.

He suffered a foot injury that cost him time in his rookie season, then ended his first year with a lisfranc injury in January, 2023. He was a small school prospect whose steep learning curve was made steeper because of injuries and missed time. Not hard to imagine that got in his head and showed up in his play on the field.

Hopefully he can stay healthy, get comfortable, and settle in as a capable starter.

In his scouting write up it was predicted and noted navigating him getting the reps and for it to click would be challenging but he has the physical tools to be a upper tier LT.

I think he’ll make mistakes early and get better as the season progresses.

I’ll go out on a limb and say he’ll be dominant towards the end of the year. This offensive coaching staff knows what they’re doing.

Penning has no shortage of talent.

He shouldn’t have been pulled last year. He was getting better.

He absolutely should have been pulled last year once they knew a change was coming on offense and the chance of injury setting him back another season/offseason wasn't worth it. He needed this fresh start.

Maybe. But he wasn't the worst rated O-lineman for the Saints when he was benched. I think that Penning and Peat ultimately would have been a better combo than Peat and Hurst.

Maybe. But he wasn't the worst rated O-lineman for the Saints when he was benched. I think that Penning and Peat ultimately would have been a better combo than Peat and Hurst.

I didn't have anything to do with him being the worst. It was protecting the team's investment and doing right by Penning, which they said they hadn't been doing. Had he got another injury late in the season like he did his rookie season, he would have missed another offseason of development and spent it in rehab mode. He needed a healthy offseason, one where he can learn a new system, attend an offensive lineman school, etc. That could not have happened had he been injured. Same thing when Josh McpieceofshirtHC did to Carr and the same thing Payton did to Wilson except instead of protecting the team, the Saints protected the player and the team's investment in that player.

Fingers crossed…..

Btw, I love the video right under the Penning vid on YouTube. Taysom has that let’s get this going look…..love it.

IMG_0281.jpeg

We all can see a very different energy in the players going into this preseason compared to last year.

They absolutely were not buying what Carmichael was selling last year, and it showed.

That's the point right, he wasn't able to walk the walk last offseason due to injury and now he had an offseason where he wasn't recovering/rehabing an injury and has been able to develop.
Sure, but whatever the why's and wherefore's, it's time to produce on the field now. He doesn't need to be great, but he needs to consistently show competency on the field heading into the season.

He has the most important tools to succeed, the size/athleticism, now he needs to put it all together.....I'm hopeful but also not yet comfortable with the offensive line group....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom