PFF - Safeties (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately, I still see Malcolm Jenkins as our starting FS this year.

We know our defense is more talented than "worst defense in the history of the league," we just need a coach who can utilize each player the right way. Coaching matters.

How many first-round picks do we have on offense? That's right, Mark Ingram.

How many first-round picks do we have on defense? I count 7 (Smith, Bunkley, Ellis, Jordan, Vilma, PRob, and Jenkins). They're not all "busts." Vilma and Smith are old, and Bunkley was a FA acquisition, but I think the talent to be above-average on defense is there. It was only 2 seasons ago when pretty much those same guys were on the 4th-ranked defense in the league.

I don't think IAQ deserves to be ranked among the best. I will say I think he plays more like a safety than either of our starters. That being said, we played Ellis, Smith and Shanle (in the past) when better players were on our roster. I hope that doesn't happen anymore.

This is why we should draft 2 safeties. This draft has SS and FS in prime spots in rds for us to draft. DE is also deep, so we don't necessarily have to spend our 1st pick on a pass rusher. IMHO. Give me Elam and Rambo all day!

We know our defense is more talented than "worst defense in the history of the league," we just need a coach who can utilize each player the right way. Coaching matters.

How many first-round picks do we have on defense? I count 7 (Smith, Bunkley, Ellis, Jordan, Vilma, PRob, and Jenkins). They're not all "busts." Vilma and Smith are old, and Bunkley was a FA acquisition, but I think the talent to be above-average on defense is there. It was only 2 seasons ago when pretty much those same guys were on the 4th-ranked defense in the league.

It's always said on here that one playmaking stud can change the face of a defense, and that's exactly what Darren Sharper did in 2009. This defense is not as good as all of the first round picks spent on it would imply. Our team cannot scout nor coach defensive talent. It doesn't matter how many first round picks you spend on defensive players if they aren't fitting into the schemes you're running or if you don't coach them up. They may not have been busts when they were drafted, but they are now. Worst defense in NFL history.

I don't think IAQ deserves to be ranked among the best. I will say I think he plays more like a safety than either of our starters. That being said, we played Ellis, Smith and Shanle (in the past) when better players were on our roster. I hope that doesn't happen anymore.

I think that with a decent pass rush IAQ can be a very good safety. I dont remember him blowing coverages like a high-schooler like Harper and Jenkins.

It's always said on here that one playmaking stud can change the face of a defense, and that's exactly what Darren Sharper did in 2009. This defense is not as good as all of the first round picks spent on it would imply. Our team cannot scout nor coach defensive talent. It doesn't matter how many first round picks you spend on defensive players if they aren't fitting into the schemes you're running or if you don't coach them up. They may not have been busts when they were drafted, but they are now. Worst defense in NFL history.

2012-2=2010 ... Sharper didn't play that much in 2010, when our defense was ranked 4th in terms of yardage.

He played in 8 games and made 11 tackles, defended 1 pass, and recovered 1 fumble. That's not a playmaking stud-like season in my book.

As for the rest of what you said, you pretty much agreed with me that it's coaching.

I'm in the give IAQ a shot at starting at FS camp, but I wanna see how he does in TC and the preseason before I'm fully behind it.

If we can grab Reed in FA for a nice reasonable deal and maybe pick up Rambo Bacarri in the 3rd (probably wishful thinking, I doubt he will last that long) we could then move MJ back to play Nickel CB.

I'm in the give IAQ a shot at starting at FS camp, but I wanna see how he does in TC and the preseason before I'm fully behind it.

If we can grab Reed in FA for a nice reasonable deal and maybe pick up Rambo Bacarri in the 3rd (probably wishful thinking, I doubt he will last that long) we could then move MJ back to play Nickel CB.
I'm in the there's an open competition for every defensive roster spot camp. May the best man win.

I'm in the there's an open competition for every defensive roster spot camp. May the best man win.

I concur. Not only do we need a D.C. that can evaluate and develop talent, we need someone that won't just stick with players just because. I like Payton's philosophy of "I don't care where you were drafted, may the best player win." And we need to apply that to every position on offense and defense.

What do we base this assumption of talent on? I would have to say that performance is the only true indicator we have. We didn't have anyone playing out of position, such as some linebacker playing corner. Most teams could line up in a base 4-3-4 every play with no coach and not give up anywhere near 7000 yards. Unfortunately, our talent is woefully lacking. You are right in that they have found decent players on offense from the scrap heap ehile they have whiffed on first rounders over and over. Jordan looks to be the exception.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

What do we base this assumption of talent on? I would have to say that performance is the only true indicator we have. We didn't have anyone playing out of position, such as some linebacker playing corner. Most teams could line up in a base 4-3-4 every play with no coach and not give up anywhere near 7000 yards. Unfortunately, our talent is woefully lacking. You are right in that they have found decent players on offense from the scrap heap ehile they have whiffed on first rounders over and over. Jordan looks to be the exception.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

i dont agree with this. if you're standing around with a thumb up your rear waiting to "react" you're most likely going to get burned, unless you have an absolutely dominant front four. this explains why spags' "system" only worked in NY.

Pretty much.

A blind dog could draft defensive 1st rounders and still end up with a good player 50% of the time. So you either have to assume the Saints are the unluckiest defensive drafting team in NFL history, defying all logical odds, or it's coaching after they are drafted that is the problem.

This defense has talent or had talent if you consider them now too far gone. You don't spend that many 1st and 2nd rounders on defense and not end up with talent. It's a virtual impossibility. It's how you mold that talent that matters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom