Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (2 Viewers)

In the four years since mass protests broke out over the killing of George Floyd, cities across the US have settled more than 130 lawsuits involving police misconduct with payouts totaling nearly $150m to protesters, journalists, legal observers and bystanders, according to an analysis of the lawsuits published this week.

The settlements, which include some of the largest payouts over protest-related police actions to date, also forced a slew of reforms on to departments, including restrictions on the use of so-called “less lethal” weapons.

Taken together, the report notes, the lawsuits’ outcomes fundamentally refute the narrative that the protests were violent and underscore how it was the police response to them that broke laws and violated rights.

“After reviewing so many lawsuits, a consistent story emerges: cops had zero interest in honoring the first amendment rights of protesters,” said Sue Udry, executive director of the free speech group Defending Rights & Dissent and author of the report.

“The most successful lawsuits won restitution for individuals and significant new restrictions on police. But they are piecemeal, and no substitute for systemic change.”……..

If you’re interested (and not sure if it was already mentioned in here) there’s a Netflix documentary called Power about police abuse & its origin, etc. Pretty good but be prepared to be mad.
after the "making a murder" series that netflix put out. then finding out all the lies they created for the series I don't put much faith in Netflix doc. Series anymore.

after the "making a murder" series that netflix put out. then finding out all the lies they created for the series I don't put much faith in Netflix doc. Series anymore.
I mean, I don’t think this one is far fetched. It just details the history of the police force & how if plays into capitalism & the militarization of our police forces across the country.

IE - nothing that most of us don’t already know.

well, he probably dodged a bullet (lol). i know a few brpd and it is a sheet show from the mayor down.
well, before he became an officer, he did hit a street sweeper on the interstate and got a DUI.. lol
Well, the mayor of BR is also the Parish President of EBR Parish, so probably not much different.. lol
but the problem with EBR Sheriff's dept is every time there is a new sheriff, a lot of officers have to leave or get fired because they supported the wrong guy..

The Los Angeles county probation department has placed more than 60 officers on leave for misconduct in an escalating scandal surrounding claims of excessive force, sexual abuse and endangerment of imprisoned youth.

The probation department, which runs the juvenile halls that have been plagued by claims of physical and sexual abuse for years, announced Monday that 66 officers have been put on “administrative leave” since January for a wide range of offenses.

Thirty-nine of the officers were accused of “general misconduct”, the department said, including excessive force, child abuse or endangerment, possession of contraband and negligent supervision. Eighteen were put on leave for “suspected sexual misconduct”, and nine officers were removed after they were arrested for offenses unrelated to their employment.

Some of the officers put on leave from the nation’s largest probation agency also worked in the department’s adult division, which oversees people released on probation.

The announcement follows a long-running campaign by youth advocates to permanently shutter the Los Padrinos juvenile hall due to extensively documented abuse cases and the failure of reform efforts to prevent the violence.

In April, the Los Angeles Times obtained footage from inside the youth jail revealing that officers stood by as six youths assaulted a 17-year-old, some of the officers appearing to laugh and shake hands with those who were beating the victim. The 17-year-old suffered a broken nose, but was not taken for medical treatment for several days, the teenager’s lawyer said at the time.

After California passed a law lifting the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse cases, hundredsof formerly incarcerated youth have also filed claims alleging they were assaulted by LA probation officers behind bars from the 1970s to more recent years.

One woman who recently spoke out for the first time about being abused in the 1990s in LA juvenile hall told the Guardianthat she felt she couldn’t report it at the time and that she is still grappling with the trauma decades later…….

The harrowing contents of the so-called “Goon Squad” WhatsApp chat have been revealed, including how a group of Mississippi police officers joked about rape, shared pictures of rotting corpses, and traded tips on terrorizing suspects.

The messages shared by the men were mixed in with vacation photos and invitations to family cookouts, with the sheriff’s deputies posting in plain view of their supervisor, who occasionally joined in.

A private text message thread, obtained as part of an investigation by Mississippi Today and The New York Times, provided a years-long record of day-to-day conversations of the officers.

The “Goon Squad” came to national attention in January 2023, after deputies in Rankin County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) were accused of brutally torturing two Black men in their home, shooting one of them in the face, in a mock execution gone awry.…..

Didn't look like a violent dog to me.

The owner of a tiny blind and deaf dog in Sturgeon, Missouri, is suing the city and one of its police officers for $1million after the defenseless animal was shot dead earlier this month.…..

The owner of a tiny blind and deaf dog in Sturgeon, Missouri, is suing the city and one of its police officers for $1million after the defenseless animal was shot dead earlier this month.…..

I hope they get every cent they ask for.

The harrowing contents of the so-called “Goon Squad” WhatsApp chat have been revealed, including how a group of Mississippi police officers joked about rape, shared pictures of rotting corpses, and traded tips on terrorizing suspects.

The messages shared by the men were mixed in with vacation photos and invitations to family cookouts, with the sheriff’s deputies posting in plain view of their supervisor, who occasionally joined in.

A private text message thread, obtained as part of an investigation by Mississippi Today and The New York Times, provided a years-long record of day-to-day conversations of the officers.

The “Goon Squad” came to national attention in January 2023, after deputies in Rankin County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) were accused of brutally torturing two Black men in their home, shooting one of them in the face, in a mock execution gone awry.…..

And i have no doubt there were more officers that knew of this chat and the stuff going on in it, but just looked the other way,because you know, the 'code"...smh..

Critics of a new Louisiana law that makes it a crime to approach within 25ft (7.6 meters) of a police officer under certain circumstances fear the measure could hinder the public’s ability to film officers – a tool that has increasingly been used to hold police accountable.

Under the law, anyone who is convicted of “knowingly or intentionally” approaching an officer who is “lawfully engaged in the execution of his official duties”, and after being ordered to “stop approaching or retreat”, faces a fine up to $500, as many as 60 days in jail or both. The law was signed by Governor Jeff Landry, a Republican, on Tuesday and goes into effect on 1 August.

While the legislation’s language does not specifically mention filming, critics say that by default it would limit how close a person can be to observe police. Opponents have also gone further to question the law’s constitutionality, saying it could impede on a person’s first amendment rights.

Proponents argue the new law will create a buffer zone to help ensure the safety of officers and that bystanders would still be close enough to film police interactions.

Bystander cellphone videos are largely credited with revealing police misconduct – such as with the 2020 killing of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis officers – and reshaping the conversation around police transparency.

An attempt to establish a specific range at which onlookers can record officers actively engaged in law enforcement duties has occurred elsewhere.

In 2022, lawmakers in Arizona passed a law that would have made it illegal to knowingly film police officers from 8ft (2.5 meters) or closer if the officer tells the person to stop. A coalition of media groups and the American Civil Liberties Union successfully sued to block Arizona’s law, with a federal judge ruling it unconstitutional, citing infringement against a clearly established right to film police doing their jobs.

In similar cases, half of the US appeals courts across the nation have ruled on the side of allowing people to record police without restriction.

The Louisiana measure’s author, the state representative Bryan Fontenot, said the legislation was drafted to provide officers “peace of mind and safe distance to do their job”.

“At 25ft, that person can’t spit in my face when I’m making an arrest,” Fontenot said while presenting his bill in a committee earlier this year. “The chances of him hitting me in the back of the head with a beer bottle at 25ft – it sure is a lot more difficult than if he’s sitting right here.”……..

Critics of a new Louisiana law that makes it a crime to approach within 25ft (7.6 meters) of a police officer under certain circumstances fear the measure could hinder the public’s ability to film officers – a tool that has increasingly been used to hold police accountable.

Under the law, anyone who is convicted of “knowingly or intentionally” approaching an officer who is “lawfully engaged in the execution of his official duties”, and after being ordered to “stop approaching or retreat”, faces a fine up to $500, as many as 60 days in jail or both. The law was signed by Governor Jeff Landry, a Republican, on Tuesday and goes into effect on 1 August.

While the legislation’s language does not specifically mention filming, critics say that by default it would limit how close a person can be to observe police. Opponents have also gone further to question the law’s constitutionality, saying it could impede on a person’s first amendment rights.

Proponents argue the new law will create a buffer zone to help ensure the safety of officers and that bystanders would still be close enough to film police interactions.

Bystander cellphone videos are largely credited with revealing police misconduct – such as with the 2020 killing of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis officers – and reshaping the conversation around police transparency.

An attempt to establish a specific range at which onlookers can record officers actively engaged in law enforcement duties has occurred elsewhere.

In 2022, lawmakers in Arizona passed a law that would have made it illegal to knowingly film police officers from 8ft (2.5 meters) or closer if the officer tells the person to stop. A coalition of media groups and the American Civil Liberties Union successfully sued to block Arizona’s law, with a federal judge ruling it unconstitutional, citing infringement against a clearly established right to film police doing their jobs.

In similar cases, half of the US appeals courts across the nation have ruled on the side of allowing people to record police without restriction.

The Louisiana measure’s author, the state representative Bryan Fontenot, said the legislation was drafted to provide officers “peace of mind and safe distance to do their job”.

“At 25ft, that person can’t spit in my face when I’m making an arrest,” Fontenot said while presenting his bill in a committee earlier this year. “The chances of him hitting me in the back of the head with a beer bottle at 25ft – it sure is a lot more difficult than if he’s sitting right here.”……..

Fun, we’ll get to see this skit play out

Just another excuse to arrest people for videoing them. you could be well outside that area and they'll just lie..

Just another excuse to arrest people for videoing them. you could be well outside that area and they'll just lie..
I hear that and while I'm not a fan of the measure, any half-decent camera will be able to capture the event from 25 feet away. Might be a little more difficult to get a good angle, but 25 feet is less than 10 yards.

But I agree they could just lie if you are that far away, but the camera doesn't lie. At least I hope it's enough to show you're far enough away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom