Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (4 Viewers)

Racial profiling is a systemic problem in the Montreal police force, a Quebec judge has ruled, as she awarded damages in a class action lawsuit that advocates call a “decision that meets with reality”.

Justice Dominique Poulin found that the city bore responsibility for racial profiling committed by its police officers and was obliged to compensate those affected.

The class action suit, filed in 2019, stems from a 2017 incident in which resident Alexandre Lamontagne was stopped by police after leaving a bar.

Lamontagne, who worked as a security guard at the time and was out for a drink with his brother, was pinned to the ground, handcuffed and taken to the station. He was charged with obstructing police work and assaulting a police officer.

Those charges were eventually dropped, but he was then issued with three tickets for making noise, continuing to do so and for not walking on a sidewalk. After viewing video footage of the encounter, Poulin sided with Lamontagne’s telling of events, rejecting claims by officers they were courteous in their interaction with Lamontagne.……

A California woman, subjected to an hours-long cavity search while visiting her husband in prison, has won a $5.6million settlement, her attorneys said Monday.

Christina Cardenas was stripped, X-rayed and forced to squat over a mirror while visiting her spouse, Carlos Eugene Cardenas, at the California Correctional Institution (CCI) in Tehachapi in 2019, where he was serving time for armed robbery, according to The Los Angeles Times.
Cardenas made the four-hour drive to the CCI facility and arrived at 8:30am on September 6, 2019 for a scheduled visit with her husband.

She had attempted to visit a month earlier but it had been cancelled without notice, according to Cardenas' original complaint from June 2020.

The events that followed, according to the document, were described as "harrowing and unlawful".

As she entered the facility, Cardenas was asked about contraband but told officials that she had not "brought anything in” and denied consent to being searched.

“Oh wipe away your tears!” one officer shouted at the “visibly distressed” Cardenas, according to the complaint. “You know what you and your husband have been doing!”

She was then "unlawfully examined" by two female officers, who looked in her mouth, ears and hair, according to the complaint.

Unable to find anything, the officers then subjected Cardenas to a strip search, during which she was forced to remove her clothing "piece by piece" until she was completely exposed, her lawyers said.

She then had to squat over a mirror placed on the ground and cough. When no contraband was found, she was ordered to widen her legs and spread her own genitalia.

It was only at this point that Cardenas, who was also denied water and access to a restroom, was allowed to get dressed, according to the complaint.…….

Cops involved get away scot free
=========================
A former Colorado paramedic has been sentenced to five years in prison in the 2019 killing of Elijah McClain after he was stopped by Aurora police.

Peter Cichuniec was one of two paramedics convicted of criminally negligent homicide for their roles in the 23-year-old’s death, which sparked years of protests and changes in the law. A jury also found Cichuniec guilty of second-degree assault. The outcome marks an extremely rare instance of a paramedic being found criminally liable and facing a prison sentence for a death in police custody.

Cichuniec was facing a sentence of five to 16 years for the assault charge. The judge on Friday also issued a one-year sentence for the homicide count for him to serve at the same time.

Colorado prosecutors filed charges against Cichuniec, paramedic Jeremy Cooper and three police officers, with cases that dragged on for years. Cichuniec and Cooper were responsible for injecting McClain with a dangerous dose of ketamine, a powerful sedative, as officers held him down.

“Should there have been a better medical assessment of Elijah McClain prior to the administration of ketamine? The answer is simply yes,” the judge, Mark Warner, said before issuing his sentence. He added: “The court does not find [Cichuniec] is an ongoing risk to the public.”

On 24 August 2019, McClain, a massage therapist, was walking home from the store listening to music on his headphones when a passing driver called 911 to report a “sketchy” person who “might be a good person or a bad person”. The caller noted he did not see any weapons and did not believe anyone was in danger.……

A review of the case solicited by the Aurora city council found that McClain had committed no crime and police had no legal basis to stop him or to use force against him.

Sheneen McClain, who sat through three lengthy trials, told the court Friday that the paramedics were “accomplices to my son’s murder” and should have cared for her son as a patient and tried to help him.

“They want to blame their inhuman actions on their inhuman training, but reality is that they could have done something simply by just saying, ‘Stop hurting my patient.’ Instead, they chose to make the situation worse for my son and implicated themselves ... They felt no need to stop the brutality that was happening to my son as he pleaded for his life.”

She said she had repeatedly watched body-camera footage to try to understand why the paramedics “did not save him”. “Elijah was unconscious for an extended amount of time when he was held down and injected with ketamine, which made sure he did not wake up.”…….

DENVER (AP) — A Colorado paramedic convicted in the death of Elijah McClain, a Black man whose name became part of the rallying cries for social justice that swept the U.S. in 2020, is being released from prison after a judge reduced his sentence to four years of probation Friday.

Judge Mark Warner said during his ruling that Peter Cichuniec had to make quick decision the night of the arrest as the highest-ranking paramedic at the scene, the Denver Post reported. He also noted a background of no previous criminal history and good character for Cichuniec, who had an 18-year-career as a firefighter and paramedic before he was convicted.

Warner held that the case had “unusual and extenuating circumstances,” in reference to a part of Colorado’s mandatory sentencing law, which allows a court to modify a sentence after a defendant has served least 119 days in prison if the judge finds such circumstances.…..

And people wonder why cops get so much hate.

I imagine this dude would still be sitting in jail today had he not stood up and defended his rights!

Also, even though this officer was wrong, we have all seen instances where this interaction could have ended up being a deadly interaction. I will give this cop some credit here for keeping his cool. :sick:

I imagine this dude would still be sitting in jail today had he not stood up and defended his rights!

Also, even though this officer was wrong, we have all seen instances where this interaction could have ended up being a deadly interaction. I will give this cop some credit here for keeping his cool. :sick:
No question this could have been even worse.

Did you note what the guy said?
"I ain't gonna be the *next* n***** you kill."

We're nearing the point where every black man will assume that any interaction with police will end in his death.

If LEOs think the job is hard now, wait until every traffic stop is a gunfight, every DV call is an ambush and the entire community treats you like an occupying army.

Won't that be fun?

Did you note what the guy said?
"I ain't gonna be the *next* n***** you kill."

We're nearing the point where every black man will assume that any interaction with police will end in his death.

If LEOs think the job is hard now, wait until every traffic stop is a gunfight, every DV call is an ambush and the entire community treats you like an occupying army.

Won't that be fun?
No, not for anyone and that's including Law Enforcement! Their job is hard, no one is denying that. What makes their job harder are the actions of bad LEO's and the good LEO's that turn a blind eye to their ineptitude.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom