Pop Tarts: The Movie directed by & starring Jerry Seinfeld (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Food that Built America episode on this was actually quite fascinating (as most of them are, I love that show)
=================================================================

Jerry Seinfeld and his all-star cast are “drunk on sugar-power” in the new trailer for “Unfrosted,” a film that chronicles Pop-Tarts’ origin story. That’s how the comedian described the film in a 2018 tweet when it was just a nebulous concept.

“Imagine the drunk on sugar-power Kellogg’s cereal culture of the mid-60’s in Battle Creek, MI,” Seinfeld tweeted. “That’s a vibe I could work with.”

Six years later, the trailer for the film was released Thursday, featuring a star-studded ensemble and Seinfeld's signature lighthearted humor. The film marks the comedian and actor’s directorial debut.

Seinfeld stars alongside Melissa McCarthy and Jim Gaffigan as Kellogg’s executives trying to compete with rival company Post Cereal’s new shelf-stable breakfast pastry, “Country Squares.” Amy Schumer and Max Greenfield work for Post and the camps compete to hit shelves first.

Hugh Grant, Christian Slater, Bill Burr, Daniel Levy, James Marsden, Jack McBrayer, Peter Dinklage and Fred Armisen round out the cast.

“It’s a huge cast. I don’t know how it got so big,” Seinfeld told Netflix's Tudum. “I remember that we had nobody for a long time. And then Hugh Grant called and said he heard about the movie, and he wanted to be Tony the Tiger. Then, the next thing I knew, everybody was in it, and it was incredible.”

The trailer likens the pastry race between the companies to the space race, which was happening during the film’s setting in 1963. The opening of the trailer shows a dramatized close-up shot of a Pop-Tart shooting out of a toaster in a style similar to a spacecraft blasting off.

Seinfeld was a guest on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Wednesday, where he said he and his writers drew stylistic inspiration from the historical drama “The Right Stuff.”

“Remember ‘The Right Stuff,’ which is U.S. versus Russia, who could put a man on the moon first? That is how we tell the story of the Pop-Tart,” Seinfeld said. “Who can make the Pop-Tart is the same as who can land on the moon first.”

Seinfeld, who co–wrote the film with his “Bee Movie” and “Seinfeld” collaborators Spike Feresten, Barry Marder and Andy Robin, also said Kellogg’s had “no idea” they were making the movie, and said that while the basis of the story is true, much of the film is “completely insane.”..................

Not sure if this is April fools joke or not
It's not.

Here's how Pop-Tarts got its name: "It was called 'Fruit Scone.' But that sounded terrible. So we took inspiration from the Pop Culture movement of the day and renamed it 'Pop-Tarts'."

It's not.

Here's how Pop-Tarts got its name: "It was called 'Fruit Scone.' But that sounded terrible. So we took inspiration from the Pop Culture movement of the day and renamed it 'Pop-Tarts'."
Did you know that already or from the food that built America show?

Did you know that already or from the food that built America show?
Knew it already but from it being a trivia question a couple weeks ago, not Food That Built America. I'm not all caught up on that show but I like it.

Knew it already but from it being a trivia question a couple weeks ago, not Food That Built America. I'm not all caught up on that show but I like it.
I haven't watched any of the newest season yet

Have like 5 or 6 on my DVR right now

It started with a stand-up bit, from Jerry Seinfeld's Netflix special, "23 Hours to Kill": "When they invented the Pop-Tart, the back of my head blew right off!"

And like all good comedy, it was based in truth. In 1964, when the Pop-Tart was introduced, 10-year-old Jerry Seinfeld fell hard.

Asked if he had a favorite flavor from the start, Seinfeld replied, "Brown sugar cinnamon, obviously."

"I'm surprised that it took them that long to add frosting," said Rocca. "It was two or three years."

"Why? You think that's obvious, frosting?"

"Well, they look a little drab to me when they're not frosted."

"You're a tough audience!" laughed Seinfeld. "I thought they were absolutely sensational instantly. But I did not know – and my parents did not know – these things are not food!"

It should come as little surprise that the man who headlined a sitcom about nothing has managed to build a whole movie out of that routine. His new film "Unfrosted" is a mostly made-up origin story of the processed food favorite.

Seinfeld said, "The real story that we started with (and I think it's the only real thing in the movie) is that Post came up with this idea, Kellogg's heard about it very late, and decided to try and catch up."

"Sunday Morning" contributor Jim Gaffigan plays Edsel Kellogg. When Seinfeld asked him to sign on, he was there: "I would never bet against Jerry Seinfeld," he said. "You know, sometimes comedians can be funny for a decade, or maybe a decade or two, but Jerry seems to have transcended, you know, four, five decades now."

In addition to writing and acting, Seinfeld stepped behind the camera for the first time, as a director. "I thought, what would be the least work?" he said. "The least work is for me to just tell the actor how to say it, instead of me telling the director, and then the director telling the actor."

Casting, he said, "was so much fun. And Hugh Grant [who plays a certain tiger] was the guy who made the movie."

Seinfeld called on a bunch of his comedian friends, from Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy to Sarah Cooper

Asked what surprised her about Seinfeld as a director, Cooper replied, "He was very specific with what he wanted. There was a moment where Tom Lennon had to do this line where he had to do this, 'Voila!' And he did a take. And then Jerry came over and adjusted his hands just slightly. And everybody's like, 'How is that making it better?' But then he did it, and it actually was better!".........

So, I had not had a Pop-Tart in probably 20 years, but I bought some at the grocery store a few months ago and I was highly disappointed. Is it just me or did they reduce the amount of "fruit" filling and reduce the amount of icing? It seemed like they used to have a lot more "fruit" inside. Now they are too thin/crispy and the "fruit" to pasty ratio is off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom