portable basketball goal replacement base? (1 Viewer)

CT Saints Fan

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Texas - via Metairie, Houston, Virginia, & Con
If you have assembled more than one portable basketball goal anytime recently, you would recall that each manufacturer uses a different method to attach the pole (poll?) and supports to the base.

I need to replace the base on a Spalding 44" goal. I have tried the Spalding website - and it was less than helpful. I have tried eBay, Amazon, as well as assorted googling to find a place where I can buy just the base. I have had no luck at all.

Any ideas of where I might check to find something like that? Thanks.

Yeah, a post hole digger and a bag of Quikrete...:ezbill:

Honestly, unless cost is a real issue, just get a new goal and assemble it and weight and secure the base properly.

Unlike fooling around with power tools, where who cares if we cut off our own limbs, with these portable goals you're usually talking about your own and your neighbors' kids. Not worth any risk.

When my goal broke loose from the base during Katrina, I sent an email to Huffy who made my goal and they sent back an email and for $75 i was able to order a new base. Not sure if you contacted the company or just looked thru their products, but this worked for me although it is a different vendor.

When my goal broke loose from the base during Katrina, I sent an email to Huffy who made my goal and they sent back an email and for $75 i was able to order a new base. Not sure if you contacted the company or just looked thru their products, but this worked for me although it is a different vendor.

I might try again, but on their website, I didn't even find a "Contact Us" button or "Customer Service" page, and really not even much product info. They clearly need a marketing make-over, but that's not going to help me with this problem right now.

Honestly, unless cost is a real issue, just get a new goal and assemble it and weight and secure the base properly.

Unlike fooling around with power tools, where who cares if we cut off our own limbs, with these portable goals you're usually talking about your own and your neighbors' kids. Not worth any risk.

I thought about that, and in fact a friend even offered to give me the goal he is looking to get rid of. But then I have to figure out a way to store this one until I can find someone who wants to mount a pole in the ground. So it's more about storage than costs - although it does seem wasteful since we only got this one a few months ago.

And it was secured properly - Mumme-style! J/K, actually it tried to go toe-to-toe with the wife trying to maneuver the van around it and into the garage. She rolled over one corner of the base and cracked it all to hell.

The other solution I may try is to insert a plank of wood into that corner for some support and then duct tape the plastic. I can't make it water-tight, but I think I can make it sand-tight. Then fill with sand instead of water.

Last edited:
You could rebuild the corner with fiberglass if you're looking for watertight . It's easy and will only run you like $10 - $15 .

The other solution I may try is to insert a plank of wood into that corner for some support and then duct tape the plastic. I can't make it water-tight, but I think I can make it sand-tight. Then fill with sand instead of water.

That would do it. Water's risky, but sand, well, it just doesn't run out and evaporate. Go for it.

That would do it. Water's risky, but sand, well, it just doesn't run out and evaporate. Go for it.

Today I am LingMAO at myself. When the water drained out on Saturday, my wife and son lowered the goal to the ground on its side, so it wouldn't fall over and hurt someone. So today I went out there to take some measurements to see how big of a piece of wood I would need to provide enough support, and to figure out how big of a piece of wood I would be able to fit through the crack in the base.

Me (thinking to myself): "Hmmmm, what's this stuff molded into the bottom of the plastic base?"

Me looks a little closer, brushes some dirt off.

Me (thinking to myself again): "It kinda looks like maybe it's upside down or something."

Me: "Are those letters? And numbers? Maybe."

Me (leaning over and bending head toward ground, and reading): "Spalding 800-558-5234? Part# 600046? Oooohhh. Duh"

:covri: :covri: :covri:

So they are currently out of stock, but will have them in 2 weeks and will ship one out to me. :9:

Yeah that won't look redneck at all.

Might as well use some of this and not paint over it.

2532132812_c07b8010e4_o.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom