Possible small school draft picks? (1 Viewer)

NoleansSaints2526

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Hey guys, dont post very often and some people are gonna hate me hard for this but in the end we're fans and we are allowed to look ahead a little bit instead of trying to do the coach's job.

Thought it would be fun to look at some possible small school guys since they usually come out as the best part of our draft.:ezbill: P.S: Im a huge LSU homer, I dont follow Villanova in any way, shape or form and I have a huge man crush on this guy.

Heres mine: Villanova wideout, Matt Szczur. Said to run a 4.4 sometimes 4.3 40 yard dash. Freakish athlete and a great person, (willing to miss a game to donate bone marrow to a young girl which saved her life). They use him all over the field. If anyone watched them play App St on ESPN you know this guy, they wouldnt stop talking about him. Heres a link: http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/szczur_matt00.html
Cbarner034.jpg

I haven't gotten the chance to see him play outside of highlights, but I'll keep an eye on him in the Senior Bowl. Looks like he could be used in a Reggie Bush/Danny Woodhead/Percy Harvin role.

There are a few 1-AA prospects that will filter up into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but Pat Devlin, the QB from Delaware, is likely to be the highest drafted small school prospect. Dwayne Harris, WR out of East Carolina (if you want to consider them small school), isn't far behind. Matt Szczur is a solid 4th rd prospect right now... Benjamin Ijalana out of Villanova is right in that mix. Kendrick Ellis, NT out of Hampton is a 4th to 5th rd prospect right now. Cedric Thornton, a DE/DT out of Cent. Arkansas has a shot at the 4th round right now. He could shoot up 3-4 teams draft boards because of his versatility. Davon House is a super fast CB out of New Mexico St that could surprise. Justin Rogers is another super fast CB/RM out of Richmond with great ball skills.

This guy: Dontay Moch, 4.25 40 time, LB/DE Hybrid, excellent pass rushing potential in a GW "D"
Dontay-Moch-650-2.jpg

This guy: Dontay Moch, 4.25 40 time, LB/DE Hybrid, excellent pass rushing potential in a GW "D"
Dontay-Moch-650-2.jpg

What the ****?! A 245 pound pass rusher running a 4.25 in the 40?!?!?! Make it happen Loomis! :worthy:

I'm his new #1 fan!

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/-gtsE4RxIt4?fs=1&hl=en_US width=640 height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

What the ****?! A 240 pound pass rusher running a 4.25 in the 40?!?!?! Make it happen Loomis! :worthy:

I'm his new #1 fan!

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/-gtsE4RxIt4?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

lol GW doesent want a DE/OLB tweener with NO football instincts AT ALL. Hes a physcial talent but thats IT. He looks like a fish out of water when he playes yuck!

lol GW doesent want a DE/OLB tweener with NO football instincts AT ALL. Hes a physcial talent but thats IT. He looks like a fish out of water when he playes yuck!

If that vid was his highlights throughout the entire game on each play of all Nevada's defensive possessions that game, which seems like it is judging by the game clock on each series, then there was only one play I seen where he looked out of place and that was the option play where the Missouri QB faked it to the RB and kept it himself. He was getting to the QB on just about every passing play and did a decent job of playing the run. Looking at his career stats, he had 19.5 tackles for losses in '09, along with being the WAC's first ever DPOY that year, and 26 sacks from his sophmore to senior year.

Coming out of college, Junior Galette was projected as a DE/OLB tweener so I don't see that being an issue. If he'd come here, he wouldn't stand up at all as a LB unless it'd be in some of GW's rare elephant or 3-4 packages. Judging by our D-Line's play this season (4.5 sacks combined between Will Smith and Alex Brown in 13 games :jpshakehead:), we need to take a look at every DE/pass rushing prospect as much as possible because I'm sure all of 'em would be an upgrade at this point. Moch's projected to go late 2nd-early 3rd so he'd be great value at with the pick we're getting from the Redskins. He and Von Miller is who I'm hoping we select with 2 of our 3 early round picks.

I'm a TCU fan who has watched a fair share of non-AQ football the past couple of seasons (to see who may be in the mix for the coveted "best non-AQ" BCS slot).

As such - I can tell you that Moch is going to do some damage in the NFL. There is a LOOOOOOONG list of teams that could turn him into a beast immediately (including NYG, Baltimore, SD, KC). He's a little rough in pass coverage - but that has more to do with how he's been used than his athleticism.

Pretty sure the guy's got a good head on his shoulders from the interview footage I've seen - I would hope that translates into coachability.

He'll do DE and LB drills at the combine and go high in the 2nd Round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom