Pyrrhic victory for San Fran? Lots of injuries to key players (1 Viewer)

This is the story of the NFL season by the time you get into December it's a battle of attrition.

Look at all the significant injuries from Week 14 alone around the league.

49ers - Weston Richburg, starting Center. IR (torn patella tendon)

Saints - Marcus Davenport, DE. IR (foot injury)

Seahawks - Rashaad Penny, RB. IR (torn ACL)

Lions - Marvin Jones Jr. WR. IR (Ankle)

Redskins - Derrius Guice. RB. IR (MCL)

Eagles - Alshon Jeffery. WR. (Expected to be done for the season with a Foot injury)
and RIght Tackle Lane Johnson, is expected to miss a couple weeks with a High ankle sprain.

Falcons - Calvin Ridley. WR - IR (sports hernia)
and Desmond Trufant, CB - IR (Broken arm)

Bucs - expect for WR, Mike Evans to miss the rest of the season with a significant Hamstring injury.

Colts - Adam Vinatieri, Kicker. Placed on IR, expected to undergo season ending Knee surgery.

those are a lot of significant names, and big time starters around the league lost just from this past week alone, so us and the 49ers aren't the only two teams dealing with injuries. It's a league wide thing right now... That's not even mentioning Lamar Jackson suffered a Quad injury against the Bills, and Patrick Mahomes suffered a bruised throwing hand that was at one point feared to be broken. While not season ending injuries those aren't things that are minor either, and might be lingering issues for Two of the league's most dynamic Quarterbacks as Lamar's injury hurt his scrambling ability, and Mahomes had trouble with gripping the Football in the 2nd half versus the Patriots.

Last edited:
Foot injuries are particularly troublesome for big hits. Ughhhh. Gir the second season in a row Davenport will miss important time. Can we catch a good break? Goodness.

Last edited:
My one big takeaway from the game was a lot of their scoring was either flukey or trick plays. Our scores were methodical and repeatable.

I’m worried about them the same as I am against any good team, but I absolutely think we’re as good as them.

I pitched this idea before and people HATED it but if the NFL went to a 32 week schedule, giving every team a bye week after a game, these injuries at least some of them might not be season ending.

Follow me:

1. Week 1 is all AFC teams playing.
2. Week 2 is all NFC teams playing.
They continue to alternate.
3. Interconference games, of which there would be 4 per team, you are on the schedule of the home team, so there'd be 2 times where you'd play back to back weeks and two times where you'd have back to back bye weeks. Or you could have twice a year where youth play 3 straight weeks. The point being youth can flex the schedule as needed.

Sounds crazy but a player could have a broken bone or a severe sprain early in the season and still recover with time to play significant games.
Another benefit is that you'd have a better opportunity for teams to get nationally televised games.

I don't think it would ever happen but imagine Brees' surgery and he only missed 2 games. I know we're went 5-0 but just imagine. Or how about AK having a high ankle sprain, missing 2 games and coming back whole.

I think it's a win, fans get more football, teams get more coverage, players careers are probably extended because they have more recovery time.

Last edited:
This is the story of the NFL season by the time you get into December it's a battle of attrition.

Eagles - Alshon Jeffery. WR. (Expected to be done for the season with a Foot injury)
and RIght Tackle Lane Johnson, is expected to miss a couple weeks with a High ankle sprain.

Bucs - expect for WR, Mike Evans to miss the rest of the season with a significant Hamstring injury.

Colts - Adam Vinatieri, Kicker. Placed on IR, expected to undergo season ending Knee surgery.

those are a lot of significant names, and big time starters around the league lost just from this past week alone, so us and the 49ers aren't the only two teams dealing with injuries. It's a league wide thing right now... That's not even mentioning Lamar Jackson suffered a Quad injury against the Bills, and Patrick Mahomes suffered a bruised throwing hand that was at one point feared to be broken. While not season ending injuries those aren't things that are minor either, and might be lingering issues for Two of the league's most dynamic Quarterbacks as Lamar's injury hurt his scrambling ability, and Mahomes had trouble with gripping the Football in the 2nd half versus the Patriots.

And Goodell’s solution... let’s make the season longer!

1.Davenport will go IR
2.Peat to IR
3. Kiko and Klien...hurt dont know when they will be back
4. AK...hurt and dont care
5. Armstead playing on one ankle
6. Secondary cant stop a sick patient from getting out a hospital bed. All of them seem hurt.

I pitched this idea before and people HATED it but if the NFL went to a 32 week schedule, giving every team a bye week after a game, these injuries at least some of them might not be season ending.

Follow me:

1. Week 1 is all AFC teams playing.
2. Week 2 is all NFC teams playing.
They continue to alternate.
3. Interconference games, of which there would be 4 per team, you are on the schedule of the home team, so there'd be 2 times where you'd play back to back weeks and two times where you'd have back to back bye weeks. Or you could have twice a yeast where youth play 3 straight weeks. The point being youth can flex the schedule as needed.

Sounds crazy but a player could have a broken bone or a severe sprain early in the season and still recover with time to play significant games.
Another benefit is that you'd have a better opportunity for teams to get nationally televised games.

I don't think it would ever happen but imagine Brees' surgery and he only missed 2 games. I know we're went 5-0 but just imagine. Or how about AK having a high ankle sprain, missing 2 games and coming back whole.

I think it's a win, fans get more football, teams get more coverage, players careers are probably extended because they have more recovery time.

Makes sense! I can't think of an argument against it that can't be voided out by "concerns for player safety". Perhaps people are too bound to tradition.

You missed Rankins,DT,ankle & Cook,TE concussion

Thanks for putting this in perspective. Like I said in another post, it definitely is a gut punch to lose Davenport and possibly Rankins for the season...BUT... If we're healthy elsewhere (especially at LBer & TE), I think we match up well and will beat any of the top of the NFC. They're hurting too and I think we have better depth.

Yeah they won, but at what cost?

Lost their stud C for the year. Sherman and Ford are now banged up too and will miss big games. They pretty much also used up their entire bag of tricks. If we meet again the fakes and misdirection won't get us.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be the Niners peak this year...

I'm in the same camp, thought-wise, yes. The Failclowns might have enough fight left to trip them up this week, too.

I'm in the same camp, thought-wise, yes. The Failclowns might have enough fight left to trip them up this week, too.

The Failclowns could have the victory at hand and would kneel at it at the 1 just to lose on purpose because they won't do anything that would inadvertently help us. (I mean, not really...but could you imagine? That'd be brutal.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom