Question about sacks and bonuses (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but it's getting buried and the question goes beyond the topic in the other post.

Is there a way to give bonuses for sacks? Can that be done in a contract and with the salary cap? I mean, could it be structured into the contract of the DTs DEs and LBs that Tom Benson will walk out on the field and give them a hundred-thousand-dollar check for every sack they register? Maybe the same thing with interceptions for CBs and LBs.

Is that illegal, stupid, feasable? It seems like it would be a nice incentive to get those sacks back.

Surely they can work out performance bonuses. But money was not what lowered our sack totals last year. It was simply scheme and injury. If you were to have dropped 2 mil off Grant's contract last year and offered him 250k per sack, he'd have still been hurt and, if he was greedy, the sack bonus would have been all he focused on. Then we would have had the worst run d in the league.

Change the scheme and have healthy players (and a better DT) and we'll have plenty of sacks and manage well against the run. LB help will also improve that stat.

But is there anything against the legality sack bonuses or turnover bonuses?

No, there isn't any rule against it unless there was something new written in the most recent CBA.

yeah,,like everyone else said, it's an incentive clause in the contract. Only problem is you have to get the player and his agent to agree on it. Many players will take less overall money in an incentive laden contract for more guaranteed money.

I do not think it is illegal and seem to remember a while back someone getting a $1M bonus for 10 sacks, but it is rarely done. There are all sorts of incentives that can be written into a contract as long as it is agreed upon by both sides, but I am not thinking sacks and turn-overs is the smartest idea though.

I agree it looks like a brilliant idea on the surface, but remember a DE is responsible for a lot more than sacks. Do we want our DEs bee-lining to the QB on each play and giving up outside containment? Do we really want our DEs ignoring possible screen passes to twist inside in an effort to get the QB? Do we want our CBs peeking into the backfield trying to read the QB and giving up the big over-the-top pass play? Do we want our CBs trying to undercut every route going for the interception and letting the receiver pick up big yards? Do we want our LBs concentrating on stripping the football instead of wrapping up and making a solid tackle?

Give incentives for Pro-Bowl or 80% of snaps or even tackles.

I do not believe there is anything in the collective bargaining agreement that forbid this. In fact, I do think that some players have incentives such as "if you reach 10 sacks or if you lead the leauge in sacks, you make a million in bonus' ". As far as paying individual players bonuses for every sack or interception, I think that would be a very bad idea. Players would go for broke and play less disciplined football, resulting in other teams scoring on what should have been a sure tackle but the corner went for the pick instead.

Give incentives for Pro-Bowl or 80% of snaps or even tackles.

I agree with your enire post. The only point I wish to make is that tackles are an unofficial statistic. Each team records them differently, some only giving credit to the guy who makes a solo tackle, some giving credit to all ten people in a pile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom