Racist Bloomberg Magazine Cover? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What do you think? I think it's at best insensitive and oblivious. How many people did this have to go through before it went to press? Nobody saw a potential issue with this?
===========================================================

A Bloomberg Businessweek magazine cover published Feb. 25 about the housing rebound in the United States — featuring cartoonish minorities holding fistfuls of money — has drawn intense criticism from readers and media critics, some of whom have described the cover as racist.

“Our cover illustration last week got strong reactions, which we regret,” Josh Tyrangiel, the magazine’s editor, said in a statement on Thursday. “Our intention was not to incite or offend. If we had to do it over again we’d do it differently.”

But his statement came too late to head off pointed criticism online. Some posts on Twitter called it a “non-apology,” and by Thursday afternoon, a handful of people had signed an online petition urging the company to pull the cover. (A new issue, however, is already on newsstands.)......

Ryan Chittum, at the Columbia Journalism Review, said the cover was “clearly a mistake” because of “its cast of black and Hispanic caricatures with exaggerated features reminiscent of early 20th-century race cartoons.” What made it even more offensive, Mr. Chittum wrote, “is the fact that race has been a key backdrop to the subprime crisis.”.........

Magazine Cover Draws Claims of Racism - NYTimes.com

Attachments

• bloomberg.jpg
    bloomberg.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 219
I'm sorry, but I don't really see any race issues here. I just see some cartoon people with money. Is that a good thing?

Are we saying then, that only white families have money and can afford houses? Why not a Black family? I see nothing wrong with the cover.

Are we saying then, that only white families have money and can afford houses? Why not a Black family? I see nothing wrong with the cover.

its the white dog...its gotta b.
:ezbill:

its the white dog...its gotta b.
:ezbill:

and the girl in the top right looks a bit like Beyonce who, by recent standards is probably sitting on the same pile of cash, if not more.

Yeah, just like the Super Bowl commercial with the white guy with the Jamican accent.

a bigger image - since one of the comments in the article said it was based on the caricatures/representations of these minority figures and the images in the OP are hard to make out.

One of the critics cited that they found the images reminiscent of the cartoons from the 1920s.

Looking more closely, I think the point is valid. I see some pretty uncomplimentary emphasis and exaggerations.

bw-cover-22113.jpg

Add that on top of an already racially-charged topic re: sub primes, and it's a firestorm waiting to happen.

I think the image should be criticized, but I don't know if the author was being deliberately racist. Doubt it, actually. But calling the above caricatures 'racist' images, though, isn't a stretch.

Isn't the character in the bottom left white? Maybe I'm not up to date on my racial charactitures. If I had to guess I'd say top left was black, top right was Indian, bottom right black, bottom left white. I guess that's 50% black, maybe the ratio was wrong?

I don't know, I think we're all stretching here.

I'm so over all these accusations of racism. Who ******* cares? Why is it illegal to offend people, whether or not it was intentional?

A gang of people of one race attacking an individual on the street because he's of another race...that's ******* racism...not drawing a damned cartoon. People need to get over themselves and learn how to let that **** roll off their backs.

Of course, it continues because people listen to these outrageous complaints and give too much power to the voices of just a few (who are typically not voicing a representative opinion of others of their ethnic background).

If you're looking for it, I guess you'll find it. If not, you're like me...Dont see nothing wrong with it?

Isn't the character in the bottom left white? Maybe I'm not up to date on my racial charactitures. If I had to guess I'd say top left was black, top right was Indian, bottom right black, bottom left white. I guess that's 50% black, maybe the ratio was wrong?

I don't know, I think we're all stretching here.

But maybe its because the white lady on the bottom right has an arm full of cash while the guy on the right only has a fist full of cash...?

I'm so over all these accusations of racism. Who ******* cares? Why is it illegal to offend people, whether or not it was intentional?

A gang of people of one race attacking an individual on the street because he's of another race...that's ******* racism...not drawing a damned cartoon. People need to get over themselves and learn how to let that **** roll off their backs.

Of course, it continues because people listen to these outrageous complaints and give too much power to the voices of just a few (who are typically not voicing a representative opinion of others of their ethnic background).

I cannot disagree with this assessment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom