Rams/Saints - A Forgotten Rivalry (2 Viewers)

A Saints game against the Rams is what got me hooked. I was ten in 2001, the Rams were undefeated and were heavy favorites against the Saints. The Saints won on a last second field goal.

At St Louis 2013 - This game is here for being our first game against our former DC Gregg Williams and was one of those games in 2013 that illustrated what a Jekyll and Hyde team we were on the road vs how we played at home. We lost 27-16 in a game where Brees heroics could only do so much as we struggled with the run.

Williams was on the Titans' staff in 2013 but sweet baby Jesus, this game sucked so much ***.

The only silver linings that came of this embarrassment was Charles Brown was finally benched in favor of a 3rd round rookie named Terron Armstead. Insane to think Brown somehow made it to Week 15 before his benching when he should've been benched after the Week 13 debacle against the Seahawks. Since taking over the role, Armstead's only gone on to continuously be a premiere LT in the league (despite his injuries) since Payton swallowed his pride on his miss in the 2nd round of 2010.

The other silver lining being Payton finally running out of patience with Garrett Hartley's inconsistent kicking after having a 36 yarder blocked before halftime and then missing a chip shot 26 yarder with just under 2 minutes to go which would've cut the Rams' lead to 8 points. Although it started a kicking carousel of Shayne Graham, Zach Hocker, Dustin Hopkins, Kai Forbath, and Connor Barth between Week 16 of 2013 and Week 1 of 2016, it was much better than had we tried to endure Hartley's woes another 2+ years until being gifted Wil Lutz by John Harbaugh.

And I still say if Lattimore isn't injured against the Skins, then he plays against the Rams last season and we would have won that one, too.

Oh absolutely, we were down both starting CB's and our WDE with Okafor tearing his Achilles the week before as well.

The other silver lining being Payton finally running out of patience with Garrett Hartley's inconsistent kicking after having a 36 yarder blocked before halftime and then missing a chip shot 26 yarder with just under 2 minutes to go which would've cut the Rams' lead to 8 points. Although it started a kicking carousel of Shayne Graham, Zach Hocker, Dustin Hopkins, Kai Forbath, and Connor Barth between Week 16 of 2013 and Week 1 of 2016, it was much better than had we tried to endure Hartley's woes another 2+ years until being gifted Wil Lutz by John Harbaugh.

Hartley was an aggravating kicker.

He's arguably an MVP type player in the Super Bowl. He hit 3 long field goals in that game and set a record for them.

But he would have those games where he made sure we lost; 2010 vs Atlanta in the Dome is one. He made the long kick, but missed the short one in OT. We lost.

Can't forget the Bucs game in 2009. We are 14-2 and nothing to worry about with Minnesota going 13-3 if he makes that kick in OT.

Also the Packers game in 2012 where he actually made the field goal at first before the penalty, then missed the re-try.

Hartley was an aggravating kicker.

He's arguably an MVP type player in the Super Bowl. He hit 3 long field goals in that game and set a record for them.

But he would have those games where he made sure we lost; 2010 vs Atlanta in the Dome is one. He made the long kick, but missed the short one in OT. We lost.

Can't forget the Bucs game in 2009. We are 14-2 and nothing to worry about with Minnesota going 13-3 if he makes that kick in OT.

Also the Packers game in 2012 where he actually made the field goal at first before the penalty, then missed the re-try.

Indeed he was. Will always be eternally grateful for how clutch he was in 2009 and it’s subsequent playoff run, but he just had some of the most peculiar performances other than that.

Rams have never really been a rival. Back in the NFC west days, they were like the Bucs now. The main rivals were always the Falcons and 49ers. Rams hardly ever won the division.

THere's been a lot of memorable moments just from playing so many games, but again, no different than the Bucs. Back when the 49ers used to play here every year, you'd see lots of 49er jerseys in the dome...from locals. Falcons are self explanatory. Rams really never moved the needle.

Great post, fun to read. Especially for this fan that didn't move to New Orleans until 2000.

Rams have never really been a rival. Back in the NFC west days, they were like the Bucs now. The main rivals were always the Falcons and 49ers. Rams hardly ever won the division.

THere's been a lot of memorable moments just from playing so many games, but again, no different than the Bucs. Back when the 49ers used to play here every year, you'd see lots of 49er jerseys in the dome...from locals. Falcons are self explanatory. Rams really never moved the needle.

Bolded is correct if you only focus on the 1980s. Indeed the 49ers were the team of the decade for the '80s, and won the division eight times. But if you back up the 1970s, the "old" Los Angeles Rams won the division seven consecutive times from '73-'79. They just didn't make it all the way through to the Super Bowl but once, in '79.

I'll never forget:

Unfortunately as a kid, I remembered too many mistakes that we made like this. Kind of summed up what kind of franchise we had at the time. Snake bitten luck/mental lapses like this still happens every now and then (2010/2011/2017 playoffs), but I’m glad we are not a laughing stock anymore.

I'll never forget:

While I do remember that play well, it never occurred to me that it never should have been scored as a touchdown, because even the announcers calling the game said that they were already shuffling players onto the field during the return. The video and replay showed the large group of players coming onto the field during that play which should have incurred an 'illegal participation' penalty and nullified the TD.

Amazing. :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom