Article Ranking the most-important New Orleans Saints free agents in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1576139468575.png

By John Sigler | Saints Wire

The New Orleans Saints aren’t worrying about the offseason just yet, but their list of 2020 free agents is going to be tough to tackle. And it’s not a problem that will be going away any time soon.

Sure, they did a lot to get in front of this problem by re-signing cornerstone players like wide receiver Michael Thomas, defensive end Cameron Jordan, and kicker Wil Lutz this past summer. Those ahead-of-schedule moves helped give Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and his team an edge on the upcoming negotiations, which they’ll have to hammer out with multiple starters in each phase of the game — offense, defense, and special teams.

Besides the players whose contracts are up after the 2019 season, other big names will become eligible for new deals. Don’t be shocked if mainstays such as running back Alvin Kamara, safety Marcus Williams, linebacker Demario Davis, or right guard Larry Warford ink new deals despite the extra time left on their current contracts. The more problems Loomis and company can solve sooner, the better.

Full Story - Saints Wire - USA Today

The Saints have already picked up the 5th year option on Sheldon Rankins, but with back-to-back season ending lower leg injuries, I believe that David Onyemata must be re-signed to a long-term deal. Onyemata is very durable, and he has not yet reached his ceiling. The Saints can’t afford to lose Onyemata. Re-sign him, and let Rankins play out his rookie deal and walk.

anyway to tell we we will be cap wise when FA starts

Looks like about $15mil with carryover and hits when Brees, Bridgewater, and Klein's contract void pulling forward their 2021 cap hits. Loomis could get another $15.5 by converting most of Cam Jordan and M. Thomas' salary into a new signing bonus for them. My guess it will end up around $30 mil.

Looks like about $15mil with carryover and hits when Brees, Bridgewater, and Klein's contract void pulling forward their 2021 cap hits. Loomis could get another $15.5 by converting most of Cam Jordan and M. Thomas' salary into a new signing bonus for them. My guess it will end up around $30 mil.

In addition, I have heard reports that the NFL cap should/will increase by at least $8M next year, and some have speculated it go up as much as a $15M increase.

The Saints have already picked up the 5th year option on Sheldon Rankins, but with back-to-back season ending lower leg injuries, I believe that David Onyemata must be re-signed to a long-term deal. Onyemata is very durable, and he has not yet reached his ceiling. The Saints can’t afford to lose Onyemata. Re-sign him, and let Rankins play out his rookie deal and walk.
Let Rankins walk? Nah, brah, you got it all wrong. You resign him. Maybe not top DT money, but you keep Big Shell . . .

Rankin is really good. Unlike Peat, you don't let a interior pass rusher like him walk. Plus, if he comes at a modest discount.
I've been asking since 2015 why does everyone hate Peat? I never get a clear answer. Some injuries here and there and he got shuffled around a lot his first year or two... But he's been a great LG with flexibility to move around the line. Makes no sense why he gets the hate that he does.

I've been asking since 2015 why does everyone hate Peat? I never get a clear answer. Some injuries here and there and he got shuffled around a lot his first year or two... But he's been a great LG with flexibility to move around the line. Makes no sense why he gets the hate that he does.
Agreed not sure why all of the peat hate. Maybe cause he was drafted early and nobody liked the pick but he’s a good guard. Not great but good

He has not been good. He had one average year in 2017. Everthing else... He's been pretty inconsistent and constantly injured or worse... on the turf. He was the wiff on the OT Interception in the NFC game. He was the whiff on the Brees Injury.

What has happened since Easton took over? Consistency. Not great performance, but consistent pass protection. Peat's best talent is pulling blocks and occasionally playing LT.

Agreed not sure why all of the peat hate. Maybe cause he was drafted early and nobody liked the pick but he’s a good guard. Not great but good
This is what I think it is. No one gets excited about drafting linemen, especially early. But the reality is that you need quality linemen and those guys go early AND they take time to fully develop. It may not be a sexy pick but crucial.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom