Rashid Shaheed - Saints Breakout Candidate Player For 2024 (7 Viewers)

Reaction score
With MT no longer on the roster and new OC Klint Kubiak installing his new offensive system with the Saints, Rashid Shaheed will be given the opportunity to become the Saints #2 WR and could be the breakout player for 2024. He will have to add some muscle and prove capable of being able to block a bit in order to see more significant snaps than in the past and also develop more of a route tree. We should expect to see him in motion more often and running a variety of pass routes. As of now, the number two wideout spot is his to lose. The Saints found a gem when they signed him as an undrafted rookie in 2022. He had a major knee injury in his final college season and was still recovering early in his rookie season with the Saints.

When he finally got his chance to see action, he made his ability known. He scored TDs on his first and second touches of the ball, one rushing and the other receiving, totaling 1,058 all-purpose yards in limited action his rookie year. He saw 298 offensive snaps over 12 games in 2022, had 28 receptions on 34 targets for 488 yards and 2 TDs and 57 yards rushing on 4 attempts with a TD. HIs production basically doubled last year in his 2nd season where he saw 608 offensive snaps over 15 games in 2023, had 46 receptions on 75 targets for 719 yards and 5 TDs and his all-purpose yardage increased to 1,479. He was named 1st Team All-Pro and named to the Pro Bowl as a returner in 2023. His yards per reception after 2 years is impressive at 16.3 but what most folks don't realize is that while mainly being used as a deep threat, he's been very reliable catching the ball and doesn't drop many passes thrown his way.

Nick and Andrew featured Shaheed on their Saturday Morning Inspection podcast today where their topic was "Saints Have A BREAKOUT Star Emerging". In their discussion they site PFFs Summer of 2024 All Breakout Team and dive a bit deeper into why they think Rashid could be that guy. A Link to the segment as found on YouTube is below:

John Sigler of Saints Wire
wrote an article May 20th, 2024 referencing the PFF Summer of 2024 All Breakout Team as well where it can be viewed at saintswire.usatoday.com in which I'm posting an excerpt from it below.

PFF picks Rashid Shaheed as Saints' breakout candidate for 2024​

From PFFs Bradley Locker in the article:

Shaheed made the 2023 All-Pro team as a returner, but don’t sleep on his receiving skills. Last year, he earned a 69.4 receiving grade and dropped just four of his 71 targets. He’s also a dynamic threat down the field, with his 99.9 deep receiving grade pacing the position. Having cut ties with longtime star Michael Thomas, the Saints will need new faces to step up next to Chris Olave, and Shaheed has a fast track to do so under new offensive coordinator Klint Kubiak. If Kubiak uses Shaheed more over the middle of the field as well as in motion, he could become a legitimate weapon.

From John Sigler in the article:

You could argue that Shaheed already broke out last season; he finished 10th in all-purpose yards (1,479) and was the only player in the league with 700-plus yards from scrimmage AND returns. As Locker said, he’s a dynamic deep threat with reliable hands. With more opportunities opening up after the team moved on from Thomas, Shaheed could stand to benefit.

Full Article Is In The Link Below:

With Chris Olave having established himself as the Saints #1 WR over his first two years there's no reason to doubt he will be the Saints number one targeted WR in 2024. With the emergence of Rashid Shaheed as an offensive weapon over the past two years everyone should expect him to be more involved in 2024. In 3 WR sets Kubiak most likely will use him in motion and also in the slot as well as lining up on the outside. He's proven to be a threat running the ball from the jet sweep. I fully expect the Saints will find a way to get Shaheed the ball in space more often than in the past in order to utilize his exceptional speed. I'm expecting Shaheed to be the Saints #2 WR in both receptions and yardage in 2024. With the Saints likely spreading the ball around more in Kubiaks offense it's possible that Shaheed may establish himself as the teams #2 WR without exceeding his numbers from 2023.

Will his number of targets, number of receptions, receiving yardage, total touchdowns, yards per reception, average yards per punt return, all-purpose yardage go up or down in 2024 over 2023?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1719788381052.png
    1719788381052.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I honestly believed it was going to be him based on his improvements last season. He is getting better as a receivers and it will be smart of us to go ahead and lock him up this season.

Shaheed is electric. Absolute playmaker and we must find ways to get him the ball, especially the ball in space. That dude has some exceptional football speed

You nailed it with a single word, electric. From Brain to Foot, Shaheeds speed is instant, just like the transfer of speed from an electric motor.

From a 09/19/23 post by TooDopeGoldRope in another thread on SSF: https://saintsreport.com/threads/just-how-fast-is-rashid-shaheed.496430/

Just how fast is Rashid Shaheed?​

Historically fast NFL players track times​

Tyreek Hill
60m : 6.7 seconds
100m : 10.19 seconds
200m : 20.14 seconds

Deon Sanders
100m : 10.26
200m : 20.71

DK Metcalf

100m : 10.36 seconds

Brandon Cooks
100m : 10.72

Bo Jackson
100m : 10.44 Seconds

John Ross
100m : 10.66
200m : 21.56

Rashid Shaheed
60m : 6.96 seconds
100m : 10.89 seconds
200m : 21.53 seconds

As Jesse Custer pointed out in the same thread, the Saints got lucky releasing Shaheed, exposing him to waivers, then signing him to the practice squad before finally signing him to the 53-man roster in 2022.

"Small school, unknown potential to be more than a returner, and shredded his knee during his senior season. Other teams were vying for him in UDFA, though, as evidenced by us giving him the maximum amount and getting lucky enough that the mind games worked, and he sneaked through waivers during final cutdown."

From a September 19, 2023, article by Doug Robinson of Deseret News:

Overlooked and undrafted: How Weber State’s Rashid Shaheed became a rising star in the NFL​

High school track phenom passed on a track scholarship to USC to chase his football dreams at Weber State. It seems to be paying off.​

“I told all the NFL scouts; I guarantee he’ll be ready to be a starting kick returner and he will make a wide receiver coach happy. He’ll play wide receiver in the NFL.” — Jay Hill on his former Weber State receiver Rashid Shaheed

He has decent size — 6 feet, 180 pounds — and blazing speed. Zebra Technologies clocked Shaheed at 21.13 miles per hour during his touchdown against the Cardinals. He reportedly has covered 40 yards in 4.3 seconds. At Weber State, he set an FCS national record by returning seven kickoffs for touchdowns. Shaheed produced 5,478 all-purpose yards. He was named to the FCS All-American team four times.

Full Article In The Link Below:

From a May 31st, 2023 article by Rene Nadeau of Crescent City Sports / crescentcitysports.com:

Rashid Shaheed works toward even better encore with Saints​

Despite a recorded time of 21.13 mph during an NFL contest, Shaheed is not entirely sure just how fast he really is.

“It’s funny, I’ve never run a forty,” he said. “I was rehabbing throughout the Combine last year. I ran track growing up as a 100, 200, 400-meter guy.”

Shaheed’s best times in high school were 10.7 in the 100, 21.3 in the 200 and 47.1 in the 400. Understandably, he is much faster now.

It’s not all about strictly speed when it comes to Shaheed’s ability on the football field. He is elusive and runs good routes currently.

Shaheed is participating in Saints OTAs, focusing on fine tuning a few areas of his game. “I feel like I’ve gotten bigger, faster and stronger. That is what I emphasized this offseason.”

From NewOrleansSaints.Com:

CAREER TRANSACTIONS
Signed to active roster, 10/15/22; Signed to Practice Squad, 8/31/22; Waived, 8/30/22; Agreed to term with New Orleans Saints, 5/1/22.

Full Rashid Shaheed BIO at Saints Official Website in the link below:

Last edited:
With MT no longer on the roster and new OC Klint Kubiak installing his new offensive system with the Saints, Rashid Shaheed will be given the opportunity to become the Saints #2 WR and could be the breakout player for 2024. He will have to add some muscle and prove capable of being able to block a bit in order to see more significant snaps than in the past and also develop more of a route tree. We should expect to see him in motion more often and running a variety of pass routes. As of now, the number two wideout spot is his to lose. The Saints found a gem when they signed him as an undrafted rookie in 2022. He had a major knee injury in his final college season and was still recovering early in his rookie season with the Saints.

When he finally got his chance to see action, he made his ability known. He scored TDs on his first and second touches of the ball, one rushing and the other receiving, totaling 1,058 all-purpose yards in limited action his rookie year. He saw 298 offensive snaps over 12 games in 2022, had 28 receptions on 34 targets for 488 yards and 2 TDs and 57 yards rushing on 4 attempts with a TD. HIs production basically doubled last year in his 2nd season where he saw 608 offensive snaps over 15 games in 2023, had 46 receptions on 75 targets for 719 yards and 5 TDs and his all-purpose yardage increased to 1,479. He was named 1st Team All-Pro and named to the Pro Bowl as a returner in 2023. His yards per reception after 2 years is impressive at 16.3 but what most folks don't realize is that while mainly being used as a deep threat, he's been very reliable catching the ball and doesn't drop many passes thrown his way.

Nick and Andrew featured Shaheed on their Saturday Morning Inspection podcast today where their topic was "Saints Have A BREAKOUT Star Emerging". In their discussion they site PFFs Summer of 2024 All Breakout Team and dive a bit deeper into why they think Rashid could be that guy. A Link to the segment as found on YouTube is below:

wrote an article May 20th, 2024 referencing the PFF Summer of 2024 All Breakout Team as well where it can be viewed at saintswire.usatoday.com in which I'm posting an excerpt from it below.

Shaheed made the 2023 All-Pro team as a returner, but don’t sleep on his receiving skills. Last year, he earned a 69.4 receiving grade and dropped just four of his 71 targets. He’s also a dynamic threat down the field, with his 99.9 deep receiving grade pacing the position. Having cut ties with longtime star Michael Thomas, the Saints will need new faces to step up next to Chris Olave, and Shaheed has a fast track to do so under new offensive coordinator Klint Kubiak. If Kubiak uses Shaheed more over the middle of the field as well as in motion, he could become a legitimate weapon.

You could argue that Shaheed already broke out last season; he finished 10th in all-purpose yards (1,479) and was the only player in the league with 700-plus yards from scrimmage AND returns. As Locker said, he’s a dynamic deep threat with reliable hands. With more opportunities opening up after the team moved on from Thomas, Shaheed could stand to benefit.

With Chris Olave having established himself as the Saints #1 WR over his first two years there's no reason to doubt he will be the Saints number one targeted WR in 2024. With the emergence of Rashid Shaheed as an offensive weapon over the past two years everyone should expect him to be more involved in 2024. In 3 WR sets Kubiak most likely will use him in motion and also in the slot as well as lining up on the outside. He's proven to be a threat running the ball from the jet sweep. I fully expect the Saints will find a way to get Shaheed the ball in space more often than in the past in order to utilize his exceptional speed. I'm expecting Shaheed to be the Saints #2 WR in both receptions and yardage in 2024. With the Saints likely spreading the ball around more in Kubiaks offense it's possible that Shaheed may establish himself as the teams #2 WR without exceeding his numbers from 2023.

Will his number of targets, number of receptions, receiving yardage, total touchdowns, yards per reception, average yards per punt return, all-purpose yardage go up or down in 2024 over 2023?

Thoughts?

If Chase Young is not the breakout player we r doomed.

Thoughts?

Now, if were talking Year 1 to Year 2 leaps, Rashid had a huge one. Year 3 should see him become more refined. He worked the slot 20% more in year 2, suggesting a better understanding of the game. He improved his contested catch rate, TD's, yards and catches.

He's the guy I'm expecting to put up big #'s this year IF he can stay healthy. His smaller stature means increased usage opens him up for injuries/time missed.

Still, he's one of the most dynamic weapons we have.

One thing I really enjoy watching #22 play is that he’s almost always happy and upbeat, we need those types as we navigate this transition period in the post-Brees era. My seats are right behind the bench and you can always see him walking around in a positive attitude with a smile on his face, we need more guys like that to help get our team morale where it needs to be on offense.

I really think that the offense and #22 can have a big year if we just protect Carr in the pocket, we already know what to expect out of our stellar defense full of stud veterans.

My stab at answering the questions I posed in my OP in this thread.

2023 Targets 75.
2024 Targets Down. I think the ball will be spread around more in the passing game in 2024 over 2023 and with a few more players involved in it.

2023 Receptions 46.
2024 Receptions Up. I see more high percentage mid-level throws to Shaheed in 2024 than in his first 2 years. He hasn't dropped many so far.

2023 Receiving Yardage 719.
2024 Receiving Yardage Up. If the run game clicks, the play action game will open up the passing game for next level throws.

2023 Total TDs 5.
2024 Total TDs Up. Kubiak scheming will present more open shots to the endzone. Shaheed will see a few more rushing attempts - Jet Sweeps!

2023 Yards Per Reception - 15.6.
2024 Yards Per Reception Down. Slightly but not by much. Those high percentage completions may have a few shorter ones.

2023 Yards Per Punt Return 13.6.
2024 Yards Per Punt Return - Down. 2023 was All-Pro level. May not be down by much but that's a high bar. Hope I'm wrong and we see a TD or two here.

2023 All Purpose Yardage 1,479
2024 All Purpose Yardage - Up. More opportunities in the kickoff return game. Defense forces more punts in 24. A few more yards rushing. Slightly up overall.

I think Shaheed already broke out in a way.....but it will be interesting to see if this new offensive staff gets him more touches......hopefully so, he has more than earned it.....

I think Shaheed already broke out in a way.....but it will be interesting to see if this new offensive staff gets him more touches......hopefully so, he has more than earned it.....
This is exactly what I was thinking. I guess it's a question of just how much better this young man can be. He's established that he's one the most dangerous threats out there with the ball in his hands. How much better will he be as he hones his craft? How much better will he be in the offense?

I don't know if the targets will be there for him to be up eye popping stats as a WR. For Shaheed I don't think it will be the quantity of touches but the quality. I'm looking forward to seeing how a more creative offensive mind will use him. If Shaheed can be established early in this offense then it opens up so much for everyone else. Talk about a headache for DCs, this guy can blow past a Corner in the blink of an eye, take a short pass to the house, or gash you on a reverse. Good luck trying to press him and good luck giving him a cushion. And then if Taysom and Shaheed are on the field at the same time, good grief. So many possibilities.

Hunt Palmer of The Hunt Palmer Show - Hunt On Saints - puts his take on the subject in the YouTube video below:

Saints WR Rashid Shaheed Future Offensive WEAPON & Breakout Player In New Orleans In 2024 Season??​

I think he's tit-for-tat with Olave in talent, skill, and value to the team. He's a little stronger and keeps his feet better after difficult catches than Olave, and makes the 1st defender miss more. He was injured the last 1, 2, or more games last year or his stats would have been better. He's a bright kid, and he will be right there with Olave in the No1-2 fight until a big strong No1 emerges.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom