Reading between the lines of Alvin Kamara’s commitment to the Saints (157 Viewers)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Despite where we are as a franchise, how we’re showing up in the win loss column, and the fans belief that we have horrible management, dude still wants to be here. Even had MT out here saying “who dat”. That means something right? If our organization was terrible, players would be kicking down the door to leave wouldn’t they? Granted no ones kicking down the door to come, and yet we’re not the dumpster fire organization some of us feel we are.

• Dumpster fires do dumpster fire things. Like firing a coach mid-season while the QB is left to defend if he had something to do w/ it or not.

• Dumpster fires are left answering question on how they feel about their benched #1 Draft pick from a year ago, in the wake of Andy Dalton throwing two picks en route to a 40-7 thrashing by Washington

• Dumpster fires sign a QB coming off an achilles to a signficant contract, and then draft 25 year old QB in round 1 to "develop" w/ out talking to the presumed starter.

We’re not those teams, not those organizations. We’ve won more games than them over the last two decades. We’re just in a rough spot and it’s not because of how they managed the salary cap or aging players or trades or any of the other hooplah we argue about on this forum. Their #1 blemish on how they did business during their run, was not securing a successor for Drew. The Patriots fumbled the ball too and are losing just like us, WITH a cleaner cap might I add. Meanwhile he Packers set up a smooth transition from Rogers, and the Chiefs aggressively got their successor to Alex Smith in 2017. Hell, arguably our biggest whiff during that time was knowing that we wanted Mahomes that year, and not having the tonka trucks to potentially anger our future HOF QB by trading up to snag the guy we truly wanted.

Now we're in a rut because of it. Or not a rut, but a scenario where the team has to elevate the QB (injuries crumbled) and not the QB elevating the team. Good QBs mask all types of organizational deficiencies. Still, we’re not a bad organization, and Alvin's committment proves it. However, in his interview he stopped short of saying we have the right coaches and I think the organization should stop short of retaining Allen if there’s a total collapse even after the return of healthy players.

Otherwise..keep chopping wood.

Last edited:
Despite where we are as a franchise, how we’re showing up in the win loss column, and the fans belief that we have horrible management, dude still wants to be here. Even had MT out here saying “who dat”. That means something right? If our organization was terrible, players would be kicking down the door to leave wouldn’t they? Granted no ones kicking down the door to come, and yet we’re not the dumpster fire organization some of us feel we are.

Dumpster fires do dumpster fire things. Like firing a coach mid-season while the QB is left to defend if he had something to do w/ it or not.

Dumpster fires are left answering question on how they feel about their benched #1 Draft pick from a year ago, in the wake of Andy Dalton throwing two picks en route to a 40-7 thrashing by Washington

Dumpster fires sign a QB coming off an achilles to a signficant contract, and then draft 25 year old QB in round 1 to "develop" w/ out talking to the presumed starter.

We’re not those teams, not those organizations. We’ve won more games than them over the last two decades. We’re just in a rough spot and it’s not because of how they managed the salary cap or aging players or trades or any of the other hooplah we argue about on this forum. Their #1 blemish on how they did business during their run, was not securing a successor for Drew. The Patriots fumbled the ball too and are losing just like us, WITH a cleaner cap might I add. Meanwhile he Packers set up a smooth transition from Rogers, and the Chiefs aggressively got their successor to Alex Smith in 2017. Hell, arguably our biggest whiff during that time was knowing that we wanted Mahomes that year, and not having the tonka trucks to potentially anger our future HOF QB by trading up to snag the guy we truly wanted.

Now we're in a rut because of it. Or not a rut, but a scenario where the team has to elevate the QB (injuries crumbled) and not the QB elevating the team. Good QBs mask all types of organizational deficiencies. Still, we’re not a bad organization, and Alvin's committment proves it.

Noticeably, in his interview he stopped short of saying we have the right coaches and I think the organization should stop short of retaining Allen if there’s a total collapse even after the return of healthy players.

Kamara knows what a good coach looks like…

Salary cap restraints doesn’t allow us to put a team with enough starter talent and depth around a mid-tier QB to consistently win.

What QB post-Mahomes should we have drafted? Jackson instead of Davenport is an easy answer with hindsight. Not sure Payton drafts Jackson first round as he isn’t a system fit. Not sure there was a single QB 2019-24 that we should have taken or had the ability to trade up and get.

Dumpster fires do dumpster fire things. Like firing a coach mid-season while the QB is left to defend if he had something to do w/ it or not.

Dumpster fires are left answering question on how they feel about their benched #1 Draft pick from a year ago, in the wake of Andy Dalton throwing two picks en route to a 40-7 thrashing by Washington

Dumpster fires sign a QB coming off an achilles to a signficant contract, and then draft 25 year old QB in round 1 to "develop" w/ out talking to the presumed starter.

Now we're in a rut because of it. Or not a rut, but a scenario where the team has to elevate the QB (injuries crumbled) and not the QB elevating the team. Good QBs mask all types of organizational deficiencies. Still, we’re not a bad organization, and Alvin's committment proves it.

Noticeably, in his interview he stopped short of saying we have the right coaches and I think the organization should stop short of retaining Allen if there’s a total collapse even after the return of healthy players.

Kamara is a good dude I met him drunk as I dont know what, and he let me wrap my arm around to take a pic and he was like have a great night. I told him if anyone giving him trouble let me know, he never did LOL

I think he'll become, if not already, hes the best RB in a saints jersey.

I feel for DA this season look to be special but the lost of Taysom Hill and Oline put us back to last year cant keep the Off on the field and Def off the field, I dont think he can come back. Winston going rogue, a time out with 4 seconds left in the half. He always look flustered. BUT i can also see him returning because The saints biggest issue is the Team is very Loyal to a fault good or bad. It's a great quality when winning but very frustrating when losing.

We're also in the 3rd year of DA's tenure with the organization and trying to figure out if this is really a dumpster fire, bad management, etc, etc, etc. I do think other teams are happy to see the schedule for the season and see the Saints on it.

We're also in the 3rd year of DA's tenure with the organization and trying to figure out if this is really a dumpster fire, bad management, etc, etc, etc. I do think other teams are happy to see the schedule for the season and see the Saints on it.
I remember those days!!!

He's 29 and now the second highest paid running back in a very soft market for the position. I'm sure he likes being here and all, but lets not pretend like that money didn't play a part in it. I don't see him getting that much as a free agent based on his age and recent production.

He's 29 and now the second highest paid running back in a very soft market for the position. I'm sure he likes being here and all, but lets not pretend like that money didn't play a part in it. I don't see him getting that much as a free agent based on his age and recent production.
It seems the market for RB's is improving. Only one veteran RB received over $10m in guarantees in 2022 (Conner). Two did so in 2023 (Taylor, Sanders).

With Kamara's extension, eight veteran RB's have crossed that threshold in 2024, with three signing for over $20m in guarantees. List is below:

Barkley $26.0m
Kamara $24.5m
McCaffrey $24.0m
Stevenson $17.1m
Mixon $16.0m
Swift $14.0m
Jacobs $12.5m
Pollard $10.5m

They'll never catch up to the WR group, but teams seem to be recognizing that good RB's are hard to come by.

This is really a central problem, we did not successfully plan for life after Drew. To be fair, maybe Winston was the plan with all the talent we still had on the roster and with still dominant defensive play, but Winston was hurt in both 2021 and 2022. Payton also didn't stick around to finish building whatever vision he had for him.

In the little time he did work with Winston, he seemed to have brought the turnover issues under control (from 1.9 fumbles + interceptions per game started to 0.7 fumbles + interceptions per game started), and our defense finished 2nd in 2021 (by DVOA), so maybe we could have made a run at it, at least in 2021.

Even if we did make more attempts to replace Drew, no guarantee it would have worked out. Plan A for the Patriots was Mac Jones (which seemed to be working with McDaniels), and several years later they are on to plan B and still losing.

Teams were happy to have us when we had Hill, Ruiz, Olave, Shaheed, Davis, Werner, McCoy, Saunders, Wilson, Fuaga, and half the team out. After the Dallas game we were superbowl contenders.

ironic?

Brees, Loomis, and Payton all went on record after Brees' retirement that drafting Mahomes (or any QB) was Brees' idea. He said he went to them at the end of 2016 and said he was retiring soon and they needed to get ready. He wanted the successor in the building before he left because he wanted to help mentor him. Loomis and Payton said they asked Brees what he thought about Mahomes before the 2017 draft and they said he loved it.

This lines up with Kenny Chesney (I think it was Chesney), who was in the 2017 war room, said about the Saints having Mahomes at the top of their big board that year which made no sense at the time given the state of the 2016 defense.

The real crime was it seems they only really tried to go after Mahomes. They never went after any QBs with a sense of urgency after.

I'm okay with the final 4 seasons of having Drew Brees. We as fans would of missed out on that if Mahomes was drafted

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom