Richard Sherman's locker room interview - calls officiating "egregious" (1 Viewer)

"We're the Seahawks, and that's what they give us.."

Richard, do you know about the Fail Mary? Or Detroit last year? Or how you basically robbed the Falcons of a win?

Richard, get over yourself. Can't expect the refs to bail you out every damn game.

They lose one game in like 4 years on officiating not going their way and they cry like this. Ridiculous.

I'm sympathetic to complaints of officiating in this league. I really am. If you are a team that's routinely lost games on late, bad calls or the like then ok...but this is a team that's benefited over and over and over and over from bad calls or no calls. And they cry.
Elsewhere in the NFL, the New England Patriots, the other team who routinely benefits from sketchy officiating, brought a grenade launcher onto the field and the refs didn't call it.

Elsewhere in the NFL, the New England Patriots, the other team who routinely benefits from sketchy officiating, brought a grenade launcher onto the field and the refs didn't call it.

Although some may call it a "grenade launcher" , thats not what it was, and it was thrown in the field by a fan :)

I really can't agree or disagree with him concerning the pick plays, because I have no idea what's allowed and what isn't. Honestly think it varies depending on the official.

Within 1 yard of the LOS, basically anything goes, including full on engaging in a block.

On Cooks' TD, the LOS was the 2. The contact happens at the 1. Cooks even catches the pass at the 1 and then goes in for the TD.

I'm all for calling out bad calls, but that was not an illegal pick.

Not to get into grammar bowl here, but egregious is a superlative modifier. It basically means "very". It only means "bad" if you specify "bad." Being an adjective, it can only modify a noun, not a verb.

"The referee's errors were egregious"

vs

"The referee was egregious"

Granted, I didn't see the original quote, I was just being a intelligent arse.

EDIT: Now that I actually watched the video he says the *calls* are egregious, which is fine. Which still doesn't technically mean that they were bad, but in the context, makes sense. So my bad, carry on Mr. Sherman.

Yea, you're just wrong here. Egregious is an adjective. An adjective, by definition, modifies a noun, as you stated. But both of your examples do that. In the case of "The referee was egregious," egregious is working as a predicate adjective modifying "referee," not modifying the linking verb "was".

In the case of calling "the officiating" egregious, "officiating" is a gerund, which is a noun derived from a verb (officiate). Thus, egregious is modifying a noun, as an adjective is supposed to do.

Now, does egregious typically apply to a behavior and not a person? Yes, and that's why it may have sounded weird to your ear. But is it incorrect to apply it to a person? No.

Ergo, you lose the grammar war, not Stanford-educated Sherman.

Pot meet Kettle. Of all the players who should not complain about officiating.

<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" id="undefined" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 100%; height: 100%; padding: 0px; border: medium none; top: 0px; bottom: 0px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I laughed so hard at this interview.

*cough* karma *cough*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qxrNZYJnJsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

yeah complaining about officiating goes really far when you were the main culprit in a defense that admitted to committing pass interference on literally every snap because they knew the refs wouldn't blow the whistle every time. this guy is just like cam newton. gets praise from the media when he's cocky and winning and acts like a child when things don't go his way. bad calls in every game. save the indictments for the fanbases.

Not to get into grammar bowl here, but egregious is a superlative modifier. It basically means "very". It only means "bad" if you specify "bad." Being an adjective, it can only modify a noun, not a verb.

"The referee's errors were egregious"

vs

"The referee was egregious"

Granted, I didn't see the original quote, I was just being a intelligent arse.

Yea, you're just wrong here. Egregious is an adjective. An adjective, by definition, modifies a noun, as you stated. But both of your examples do that. In the case of "The referee was egregious," egregious is working as a predicate adjective modifying "referee," not modifying the linking verb "was".

In the case of calling "the officiating" egregious, "officiating" is a gerund, which is a noun derived from a verb (officiate). Thus, egregious is modifying a noun, as an adjective is supposed to do.

Now, does egregious typically apply to a behavior and not a person? Yes, and that's why it may have sounded weird to your ear. But is it incorrect to apply it to a person? No.

Ergo, you lose the grammar war, not Stanford-educated Sherman.

Godaddys-Famous-Nerd.jpg

They lose one game in like 4 years on officiating not going their way and they cry like this. Ridiculous.

I'm sympathetic to complaints of officiating in this league. I really am. If you are a team that's routinely lost games on late, bad calls or the like then ok...but this is a team that's benefited over and over and over and over from bad calls or no calls. And they cry.

He wasn't complaining when the refs didn't call pass interference on him against Atlanta and his team got the win.

Of course he's going to forget the egregious PI he committed on Jones two weeks ago, because if you're an NFL cornerback, you've got to have a short memory.

I'm here all week, folks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom