Riding the storm out. Which self defense gun do you recommend? 12 Gauge shotgun or Mossberg? Or another kind of gun? (1 Viewer)

I want to protect myself and my property. I, as well as Jackers, have worked hard for our homes, and I will not let thugs come in and take what they want. They come in, they pay.

I have a beretta PX4 Storm. Its amazing. Look it up, its a very nice handgun and reliable. I like the revovler suggestions though. I am really looking into that.

BTW Whats .00 buckshot like?

00 buck has rather large pellets. Some folks don't like to use it for self defense because the shot will go through walls and doors, so good muzzle discipline is a must. You must know what is behind the doors and walls. It's the most effective man stopper though.

Last edited:
I want to protect myself and my property. I, as well as Jackers, have worked hard for our homes, and I will not let thugs come in and take what they want. They come in, they pay.

I have a beretta PX4 Storm. Its amazing. Look it up, its a very nice handgun and reliable. I like the revovler suggestions though. I am really looking into that.

BTW Whats .00 buckshot like?

If you wanted to protect yourself, you'd leave. What could kill you and your "property" is the storm, not thugs.

I don't understand the fascination with protecting property. Yea, you've worked hard for it-- so hard that it's worth risking your life? What are you going to do? Shoot the hurricane? This is about selfishness. There are people who care about you, not your TV, or your property, but rather about you. All you're doing is making them worry.

Just hire this guy and put up big banners on the house advertising plasma TV's.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s13Y7SKrFls&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s13Y7SKrFls&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

00 buck has rather large pellets. Some folks don't like to use it for self defense because the shot will go through walls and doors, so good muzzle discipline is a must. You must know what is behind the doors and walls. It's the most effective man stopper though.

it'll stop Bear in their tracks...

let me find that video i seen years ago.. talking about different ammo and guns.

12ga slug was top dog as far as civilian options.

gelcaps are pretty nice too..

who needs 12 rounds, i rather 1 round, 1 drop, instead of 5 or 6 rounds to put someone down.,. much less chance of it turning into a manslaughter case.

000 buck 3" magnum 12 ga round will take anyone down. 1 shot in the chest.
slug will go through them, leaving hole where chest was. video i'm looking for shows where the 12 ga slug enters car door, goes completely thru flack vest.

might interest some.. http://www.huts.com/Huts'sBallisticTest.htm

saint77, you might want to reconsider your choice of weaponry..

cop stories, have it that yes, many 9mm kills out there, but those getting killed with a 9, also kill the other involved...
one thing about the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun chambering a load...more than likely the perp will change their mind and leave..... and if not, they'll leave in a bodybag.

seems there are a lot of new options for ammo out there. but for home defense..12ga still rules.. if can't handle the shotgun.. a .45 cal is the defense weapon of choice.

Kimber .45acp and a brand spanking new AR15 with an EOtech.

it'll stop Bear in their tracks...

let me find that video i seen years ago.. talking about different ammo and guns.

12ga slug was top dog as far as civilian options.

gelcaps are pretty nice too..

who needs 12 rounds, i rather 1 round, 1 drop, instead of 5 or 6 rounds to put someone down.,. much less chance of it turning into a manslaughter case.

000 buck 3" magnum 12 ga round will take anyone down. 1 shot in the chest.
slug will go through them, leaving hole where chest was. video i'm looking for shows where the 12 ga slug enters car door, goes completely thru flack vest.

might interest some.. http://www.huts.com/Huts'sBallisticTest.htm

saint77, you might want to reconsider your choice of weaponry..

cop stories, have it that yes, many 9mm kills out there, but those getting killed with a 9, also kill the other involved...
one thing about the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun chambering a load...more than likely the perp will change their mind and leave..... and if not, they'll leave in a bodybag.

seems there are a lot of new options for ammo out there. but for home defense..12ga still rules.. if can't handle the shotgun.. a .45 cal is the defense weapon of choice.

I dont get what your saying about 9MM? It seems like a good choice between velocity and round weight.

Besides, If one uses the 2-1 technique, which I practice regularly, I think im gonna do OK. and if that don't work, I have 2 .45s and 590 12 guage to use as well, and if that dont work, theres always my 7.62 X 54R Russian M44. that'll kill sumpin. :hihi:

I dont get what your saying about 9MM? It seems like a good choice between velocity and round weight.

Besides, If one uses the 2-1 technique, which I practice regularly, I think im gonna do OK. and if that don't work, I have 2 .45s and 590 12 guage to use as well, and if that dont work, theres always my 7.62 X 54R Russian M44. that'll kill sumpin. :hihi:

I'm not speaking for Robsmith32, but I have always understood the the 9mm was not necessarily a good home defense round because it will go right through an assailant. The wound may kill them, but will not stop someone in their tracks. i.e. lacks the stopping power of a .45.

Beretta PX4 Storm hand held firearm.

.45 caliber, trijicon 3 dot night sights, LaserMax laser sight, and Hogue grip.

I'm not speaking for Robsmith32, but I have always understood the the 9mm was not necessarily a good home defense round because it will go right through an assailant. The wound may kill them, but will not stop someone in their tracks. i.e. lacks the stopping power of a .45.

Thats what the 2-1 technique is for. 2 in the chest, one in the head. This is good for any caliber though.

Really though, its down to what grain and type of round you use, as I understand it. I use 115gr Honady Taps in my 9MM, and I have 230 gr Federal HST for my 1911 and XD. I dont normally use my 9MM guns for home defense though, I use the 590.

What is the type of bullet that has a bowl shaped tip at the tip of the slug?

Don't those type of bullets have strong stopping power? I forgot the name but a friend of mine told me this.

They're called hollow points. They work by expanding upon impact creating a larger wound as it travels through whatever it is you shot at. The also tend to stay inside the target which will result in more difficulties later on if it the target didn't die as a result of the shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom