RIP Donald Sutherland (1 Viewer)

Read the book as we were assigned to in HS….both the book and the movie are depressing, and a bit slow moving….I will say Mary Tyler Moore and Andrew McCarthy were outstanding in their roles IMO….

RIP DS, he was a great one but for some reason when I think of him I always remember his small role in Animal House….
He had a relatively small role but I believe John Landis, the film's director, got him to agree to appear in the film on the condition that he got a certain percentage of the movie's profits and since Animal House was a huge box-office hit in 1978, he likely made more money then some of the main actors who starred in the film.

I have tried several times over the years, as an adult, to get into watching Ordinary People- but there’s something about it that makes me always turn it off before the end .. not his performance , but something else I can’t put my finger on .
Too upbeat?

He had a relatively small role but I believe John Landis, the film's director, got him to agree to appear in the film on the condition that he got a certain percentage of the movie's profits and since Animal House was a huge box-office hit in 1978, he likely made more money then some of the main actors who starred in the film.
I saw somewhere earlier that said he got $40K for Animal House. Can't find it now.

RIP to an incredible talent. Equally believable in serious or comic roles, and always committed to presenting his character, good, bad, or ugly, as the writer had created him.

Not to be forgotten.

And another great film he was in that should never be forgotten:
ASnRN4Kj6AdEv8RJTDrHKhIve2ZFQY_large.jpg

Loved him in Animal House, RIP...

Jack Bauer's dad! Jack Bauer when he was a kid. Lol. I'll always think of Kiefer as Jack Bauer from the TV series 24 even though he's played a million different roles.

RIP to a fascinating actor. Donald Sutherland's cameo in Backdraft and his role in Hunger Games stand out for me. It's interesting timing because I've been watching Hunger games series over the last couple of weeks with my wife and daughter when we have time.

Jack Bauer's dad! Jack Bauer when he was a kid. Lol. I'll always think of Kiefer as Jack Bauer from the TV series 24 even though he's played a million different roles.

RIP to a fascinating actor. Donald Sutherland's cameo in Backdraft and his role in Hunger Games stand out for me. It's interesting timing because I've been watching Hunger games series over the last couple of weeks with my wife and daughter when we have time.
He was great in the Hunger Games as well. It's been so long since I've watched Backdraft, I need to re-watch it soon. I gotta give his older movies a try as well...

I think we need to keep in mind Kiefer Sutherland was already a well-established, successful action/drama star a full decade before 24 was even a TV series concept pitched to Fox executives. Some of the show's executives werent completely sure 24 would be a hit with its first season so they actually intended the mid-season Season 1 finale to be the proverbial "end" of the show in case it got cancelled. I think the first signs the show's writers, creators and cast got that showed this show was in it for the long haul was when Fox ordered a full Season 1 series of episodes and extended it for a second season and really heavily promoted and marketed 24 over its fellow FOX 90's mega-show X-Files Season 8.

By 2001, the X-Files were sort of on their last legs creativity, David Duchovny essentially left the show after Season 7 and the show tried to re-boot itself with a newer Mulder/Scully but it didnt work like they planned. 24 was going to be FOX's flagship show for the 2000's the same way X-Files had been throughout the 90's.

Jack Bauer and 24 is Kiefer Sutherland's role of a lifetime, the litmus test, all-encompassing role, or character that most TV or movie goers will define or rate his career upon and one of those great, legendary roles that most actors dream or hope they'll get but never really do. Like Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul as Walter White and Jesse Pinkman, it's a role in a mythical TV series that just shines and glitters in a similar way Bob Odenkirk's greatest role is Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul.

I see the Hunger Games movies as sort of Donald Sutherland's last really great epic acting performances, even if his character really didnt introduced too much or explored in-depth until the second Hunger Games film.

top ten actors of my generation-----my dad called him a pothead in kelly"s heroes. I tried pot within a week.

don't ask me what dad said about richard pryor.
During his prime, if Richard Pryor wasnt pissing as many people off as he was making them laugh hysterically at his jokes or pushing people's buttons, he likely felt he wasnt doing his job or making the intended impact. The 1970's and early 80's were his absolute prime in terms of comedy specials as well as roles in comedy/drama films like Busting Out, Brewster's Millions, Superman III, plus him co-writing the screenplay for Blazing Saddles.

The only real significant problem to Richard Pryor was himself and his substance abuse issues like free-basing cocaine that led to him setting himself on fire while in a drunken stupor. As the 1980's wore on, the side-effects and symptoms of his long-term substance abuse began to reveal themselves more and more. Unlike George Carlin, Pryor would not have a successful mid-life, career resurgence in the late 80's, 1990's and early 2000's and the Carlin we witnessed in the 1990's and 2000's was mostly a angry, crotchety, bitter-sounding misanthrope who made it abundantly clear he hated people in general.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom