RIP Morgan Spurlock (1 Viewer)

Yup - it’s a story
Hopefully a fact-based story, but a story first and foremost
Super-Sized Me was a very good, entertaining movie, so Spurlock succeeded in that regard and maybe exceeded his own expectations before making the film.

But his methodology, claimed weight gain and subsequent liver problems he primarily points to eating nothing but unhealthy fast food at McDonald's for a month werent fact-based or really accurate despite the relentless narrative he constantly pushed. There was another "hidden variable" like his then-severe alcoholism that was more largely responsible for his weight gain and liver issues.

I suppose I can't blame you, Guido, if you watch Super Size-Me in the context of it being a good movie, it's just not a good, or truthful documentary, as Sun very wisely and acutely points out. Their are other documentaries that are both good movies and lot more truthful and honest as it relates to their subject matter or specific historical events.

Take Slavery by Another Name or 13. Great, outstanding documentaries about how our prison incarceration system is a multi-million dollar racket and how post-Civil War Southern penal colonies and elsewhere used essentially slave labor from African-American convicts on chain gangs working in mines, digging up ditches, roads, highways, infrastructural repair work like rebuilding or renovating bridges, tunnels in the late 19th/early-to-mid 20th centuries.

I suppose I can't blame you, Guido, if you watch Super Size-Me in the context of it being a good movie, it's just not a good, or truthful documentary, as Sun very wisely and acutely points out. Their are other documentaries that are both good movies and lot more truthful and honest as it relates to their subject matter or specific historical events.
Yeah, I don't watch docs to be "entertained", I watch them to learn something.

Super-Sized Me was a very good, entertaining movie, so Spurlock succeeded in that regard and maybe exceeded his own expectations before making the film.

But his methodology, claimed weight gain and subsequent liver problems he primarily points to eating nothing but unhealthy fast food at McDonald's for a month werent fact-based or really accurate despite the relentless narrative he constantly pushed. There was another "hidden variable" like his then-severe alcoholism that was more largely responsible for his weight gain and liver issues.

Take Slavery by Another Name or 13. Great, outstanding documentaries about how our prison incarceration system is a multi-million dollar racket and how post-Civil War Southern penal colonies and elsewhere used essentially slave labor from African-American convicts on chain gangs working in mines, digging up ditches, roads, highways, infrastructural repair work like rebuilding or renovating bridges, tunnels in the late 19th/early-to-mid 20th centuries.
What would you be blaming me for if you were to blame me?

What would you be blaming me for if you were to blame me?
I'm not really and there's nothing to fault and I'd be extremely petty if I did and I'd like to believe I'm not that kind of person. I'm just saying that if you watched "Super Size-Me" on the premise that you inferred earlier that it was a good movie, then at least something positive and meaningful came out of that experience for you and others who viewed it within that prism.

I was saying there's nothing wrong with your perception of Spurlock's film being an entertaining, enjoyable film, the parts Ive seen over the years are decent-to-good enough. But, nothing more then that.

Starts at 5:40 - I use this clip a lot in class
It’s an interesting history vs historical fiction vs propaganda take

It's not an excuse, but this might explain why Richard III mightve been one English monarch who was erased by history by later historians, playwrights, authors, royal chroniclers and subsequent Tudor, Stuart dynasties--part of it had to do with his alleged involvement in the kidnapping, disappearance and likely murders of his two cousins held as hostages in the Tower of London, The Princes in the Tower. Some also accused him of poisoning his brother, Edward IV of York.

Many at the time before his death at Bosworth Field in 1485 (last English/British monarch to die on field of battle), and especially afterwards, blamed Richard III for murdering those princes because they were a threat to his short-and-probable long term reign and the subsequent Tudor dynasty who replaced Yorkist monarchy claims of legitimacy were on shaky grounds even after defeating Richard so they did a posthumous, post-moterm character assassination blaming all sorts of suspicious activities and malicous deeds upon him (whether he was guilty or not).

It was a very well-concocted, constructed story that was widely-believed and accepted for centuries until maybe the mid-late 19th century when scholars and historians began critically analyzing and reviewing some of original primary/secondary source material where the crimes attributed to Richard posthumously were leveled and found quite a few of the accusations lacked merit or had flaws in them.

I did not realize that Super Size Me had been discredited like it has over the years. A shame. I remember being impressed at the time.

I enjoy a good documentary and Super Size wasn't one of them. A lot of unsubstantial "data" that is obviously herded towards the narrative of the subject. It might just be my simple brain but give me documentaries like Knuckleball, a good 30-for-30 (Bad Boys or Bo Know's), The Tinder Swindler or Our Father.

Documentaries like Juri dreams of Sushi, A Band Called Death, even silly, kind of ridiculous and maybe sad moments one like The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years, and an outstanding heavy metal documentary about forgotten, early 80's Canadian metal band, Hammer: Heavy might have a few faults, but tell a coherent, more honest story.
Do you mean Anvil? Or is there an entire subgenre of heartwarming documentaries about underdog 80s metal bands from Canada?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom