Rotoworld: Brees not helped by Free Agent Signings (1 Viewer)

Meacham's not quick....no suddeness. Will not scare the opposing D with a deep ball threat. Just like Colston, don't get me wrong, I love Colston, but he's not a threat deep. We need that.

Last year Meachem ran in the 4.2's which is one of the main things that caught coaches eye. Meachem is faster than Colston and he might even be faster than he was last year by now. He's been training hard in the offseason. Patten works with him every day mentoring him and grooming him into a good receiver.

How bout some better protection for drew ? He was rushed quite a bit last year.... Plus running the ball more would be a great help.... Helping drew mean changing the gameplan... Not just signing big name wr's be te's

Colston hasn't missed alot of time, but he hasn't been able to play in all 16 games in each of his first two seasons. The major point was if Colston is lost for a serious ammount of time, the rest of the WR crew isn't impressive. Backups, role players, and a #1 choice that wasn't good enough to even suit up last year.

Colston hasn't missed alot of time, but he hasn't been able to play in all 16 games in each of his first two seasons. The major point was if Colston is lost for a serious ammount of time, the rest of the WR crew isn't impressive. Backups, role players, and a #1 choice that wasn't good enough to even suit up last year.

I think that's a poor choice of words to describe him. He didn't sit out because he wasn't "good enough"

I have no complaints when the offense, in a down year, ranks 4th overall and 3rd in passing :D

Right...because Reggie Bush cannot ever line up at WR and Robert Meachem only runs a 4.3/40.

supportpost.jpg

If our defense can get some turnovers and/or special teams give them decent field positions, the offense will be much improved. It's unrealistic to expect the offense to go 75-80 yards every drive and score a touchdown.

If you want to really help Drew Brees, run Deuce McAllister and Pierre Thomas the way Deuce was used when he had over 1600 rushing yards. Put Reggie in the slot. Do away with the trickery versus fast defenses, like the ones who use a version of Tampa Cover 2 and the super athletic types like Baltimore. In other words, get physical in the running game from the jump. You establish the LOS and do this, THEN Brees will have an easy day, THEN the misdirection and trickery and cute plays will work. I think Payton was forced to realize this in the abscence of Deuce and Reggie last year, as well as the 0-4 start becuase of a failure to do this as well as why we lost to Chicago, Indy, and Tampa who all have practically the same defensive philosphy, and losses to teams like Carolina and Washington and Tennessee who were just more physical.

Drew is great at getting rid of the ball quickly, and those short high percentage passes will open up both the run and deep ball against half of the league. But when you play teams that are either quick or physical, they either put a stop to the short game with speed or physical pressure. We counterd Jacksonville's defense beautifully, but that is now on tape and will not happen the same way again.

Drew is a great QB. Sure, he could use another sure WR and Gateslike TE, but we will still face the same problems versus the same kind of teams unless our coach pulls his head out of his butt and decides to cut the mickey mouse cute stuff and pound the rock. I don't care how much improvement we make on defense or what talented RB or WR we bring in, between our offensive line and offensive philosophy, we NEED to be able to do this when the situation arises, and we need to commit to doing it. Some games will have to be played that way from whistle to whistle, others it will only be needed when preserving a lead. Have that, and Brees will be unstoppable, even if his only legit WR is Colston.

I agree.

But I haven't figured out yet if Payton so far has called the offense the way he has because he thinks that we don't yet have the personnel to be effectively physical when we have to, or if he's always going to call games this way regardless of what personnel we have.

Sometimes you just have to have a physical dog fight. Keep pounding in a tight game and break something in the 4th quarter. So far Payton will not or can not come out and attempt to physically establish the LOS. He's always looking for "the play" that's going to break it.

That's high risk with when you have a defense is bad as ours has been. When the offense is clicking, you are going to win a high scoring game provided you don't turn the ball over (which we do a lot in part due to the frequency with which we sling the ball around).

When it's not clicking you are going to get blown out.

Colston holds the NFL record for most receptions through a players 1st two years in the league with 168.

Reggie Bush has 161 receptions over his 1st two seasons, and he only played in 12 games last year! Now I realize Reggie catches a ton of swing passes and stuff, but it's impossible to deny his ability and role in our offense as a reciever.

Had Reggie played the entire season last year, he would easily hold "Big Smooth's" record.

Well they tired to woo Shockey but that did not work. Anyone who saw that offense last year knows that the lack of a real running game hurt. Brees threw the football way to much. Playcalling is an art form based on timing and without a run game it hurt the entire team.

If Dorsey and Ellis are both gone I try and trade down. Taking Dallas 22nd Pick Overall as well as their 62nd pick in round 2.

I would select

#22 Balmer DT North Carolina
#41 Phillips S Miami
#62 Chris Johnson RB East Carolina/ Or Matt Forte RB Tulane

Who cares if he is a 7th round pick from Hofstra? it just shows how bad people evaluated him. I think he has proven that he is one of the best in this league and the 7th round monicker should be removed from his name

This article strikes me as more fantasy football arguing than anything else. Brees has been very effective throwing to just about every eligible receiver on the roster... he set team records for attempts, completions, completion percentage, total yardage and touchdowns last season with this same receiving corps.

However, outside of Colston, he doesn't have a "go to" guy, so from the FF perspective, there is no one else on the Saints roster worth owning as a receiver.

So that bugs him...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom