Router recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my router. I currently have a Cisco Linksys E4200, purchased shortly after they first came out (maybe 2011 or 2012). Our house is relatively small, but my router is in the very front corner of it. I'd like to get more range from a new router, as the back bedroom gets limited signal.

What are the best routers these days? I've been eyeing the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, but I imagine there are others that people would recommend as well.

Thanks!

Get an Orbi or Google wifi setup. Single point wifi access is SO 2015.

I would disable wireless on router and buy a ubiquiti UAP Ac LR (long range). Those access points cover alot of range and are only about 100 bucks from amazon. It uses a software controller that is pretty easy and has a lot of features. Not to mention they are business class and the innovation is leading the market now in my opinion.

I was hoping to spend $150 or less for it.. I see I can get a single Google WiFi or the Ubiquiti UAP Pro.

The Ubiquiti would require running CAT cable to another portion of the house, not a deal breaker, but something extra required.

I see a single Google WiFi will cover a 1500 square foot house, but I'd imagine that would be if I had it dead center of the house, which isn't possible. So I might need two of them.

I would disable wireless on router and buy a ubiquiti UAP Ac LR (long range). Those access points cover alot of range and are only about 100 bucks from amazon. It uses a software controller that is pretty easy and has a lot of features. Not to mention they are business class and the innovation is leading the market now in my opinion.

The LRs are missing the newer bands (n, ac) so while they have amazing range, their throughput kind of sucks. The Pro version is MUCH better, but they are over $200.

Yep, I think this is the one that had such terrible throughput: https://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-S...1490710136&sr=1-6&keywords=ubiquiti+uap+ac+lr

And wow, those things have really dropped in price over the last year or so.

Which is the best of the mesh wifi router systems? Orbi? Google WiFi? Ally? Eero? Any preferences?

I see that Orbi is coming out with a new wall plug module, but I think it sacrifices speed compared to the main Orbi line. And it's only $50 cheaper on Amazon right now.

I was liking the Ally Amped app set up, allowing for multiple users, blocking apps and websites and QoS. Anyone heard anything good about those?

Which is the best of the mesh wifi router systems? Orbi? Google WiFi? Ally? Eero? Any preferences?

I see that Orbi is coming out with a new wall plug module, but I think it sacrifices speed compared to the main Orbi line. And it's only $50 cheaper on Amazon right now.

I was liking the Ally Amped app set up, allowing for multiple users, blocking apps and websites and QoS. Anyone heard anything good about those?

One things for sure, they all have extremely dumb names.

There's also this Pro version (but not long range it seems):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/ref=psdc_1194486_t2_B01609AF22

this is the good one. it doesn't have the range of the LR, but its probably still better than 90% of other ap ranges. i've set up a few of them and i had to dial down the power.

there is an "hd" model with more power, but it is probably 2x the cost of the pro. then again, for what it offers, that is a fraction of the cost for a similar cisco ap.

this is the good one. it doesn't have the range of the LR, but its probably still better than 90% of other ap ranges. i've set up a few of them and i had to dial down the power.

there is an "hd" model with more power, but it is probably 2x the cost of the pro. then again, for what it offers, that is a fraction of the cost for a similar cisco ap.

Thanks for the info. This seems like it would do the trick. I'd just have to do all the running of the cable from my current router to a good spot in the house. I don't know if I trust myself cutting holes in the ceiling and all.. :hihi:

I have the Linksys EA7500 router. I have a 2 story home, approx. 3500sq ft. This thing sits upstairs in a foyer and is connected to a Netgear CM600 modem. I have great coverage throughout the house.

I have the Linksys EA7500 router. I have a 2 story home, approx. 3500sq ft. This thing sits upstairs in a foyer and is connected to a Netgear CM600 modem. I have great coverage throughout the house.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'd love to be able to move my cable drop / router / DTV connection to somewhere more central in the house, but I don't think that's feasible with our open floor plan. That's what is appealing about the Ubiquiti Pro AP - that it can be mounted anywhere as long as I can get a CAT cable to it via the attic / walls. And the mesh network setups just cover everywhere with multiple access points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom