Router recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'd love to be able to move my cable drop / router / DTV connection to somewhere more central in the house, but I don't think that's feasible with our open floor plan. That's what is appealing about the Ubiquiti Pro AP - that it can be mounted anywhere as long as I can get a CAT cable to it via the attic / walls. And the mesh network setups just cover everywhere with multiple access points.

Yep, when we renovated, I ran ethernet all over the house and had two drops in the ceiling (one in the open TV room/kitchen and one in the bedroom) specifically for APs. We have great coverage throughout the house. I'm very happy with them.

Anyone have any luck with the new powerline adapter?
They claim to work much better these days.

Update.. I bought the starter system for the Netgear Orbi. Over the weekend, Amazon had the single, stand-alone RBR50 for $155 for Prime members (normally $275), but I got Best Buy to price match it and bought their last one in stock.

I haven't hooked it up yet, though, as I'm testing out our use of PSVue on an Amazon Fire TV in our back bedroom with the existing router setup. I had my wife watching Netflix, me playing Xbox Live and my son streaming videos on YouTube as a simple test. So far, those tests seem OK, with no buffering issues and only minimal lag on the Xbox game.

Update.. I bought the starter system for the Netgear Orbi. Over the weekend, Amazon had the single, stand-alone RBR50 for $155 for Prime members (normally $275), but I got Best Buy to price match it and bought their last one in stock.

I haven't hooked it up yet, though, as I'm testing out our use of PSVue on an Amazon Fire TV in our back bedroom with the existing router setup. I had my wife watching Netflix, me playing Xbox Live and my son streaming videos on YouTube as a simple test. So far, those tests seem OK, with no buffering issues and only minimal lag on the Xbox game.
We've had it for a few months now. Albeit, we have the satellite as well.

The system is dependable and amazingly fast.
The price tag was a little hard to swallow at first, but now it's just yet another piece of overpriced electronics we've paid for. We're still getting 175 Mbs through it on my iPhone. We pay for 150 Mbps.

I think you'll love it.

We've had it for a few months now. Albeit, we have the satellite as well.

The system is dependable and amazingly fast.
The price tag was a little hard to swallow at first, but now it's just yet another piece of overpriced electronics we've paid for. We're still getting 175 Mbs through it on my iPhone. We pay for 150 Mbps.

I think you'll love it.

Glad to hear a good review of it. I think it will be an upgrade for us regardless, as my old router was still only supporting wireless n. It had no beamforming or MU-MIMO capabilities. It's been a good router, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

So far so good with the Orbi. Speed tests seem to show that I can get slightly over my top bandwidth, even from a wirelessly connected phone halfway across the house. I was getting maybe 50% of peak previously.

The only thing I noticed is that the backhaul channel (used only for the satellites) is actually the highest rated AC channel (1733 Mbps), while the 2.4 Ghz (which covers b/g/n) is up to 400 Mbps and the 5.0 Ghz (covering 802.11a/n/ac) is 866 Mbps. It makes sense that the backhaul network needs to be able to communicate faster than the clients connecting to the Orbi network, but I never saw this while reading up on it. We won't add a satellite at this point I don't think, but it's good to have room for expansion if necessary later on.

Also, I have to say that I like the web interface they provide for administration and configuration. The simple stuff is simple, and the more advanced stuff is relatively easy as well.

We've had the Google wifi for about 3 weeks now. Works great. I'm not really tech savy, but it feels faster than our old Netgear router.

I'm looking at four systems right now....the Orbi, Google Wifi, Velop, and Eero. The Google system is the cheapest. Any reason to spend more on the others? I have not done much research. I figured I'd try to get first hand opinions first.

I'm looking at four systems right now....the Orbi, Google Wifi, Velop, and Eero. The Google system is the cheapest. Any reason to spend more on the others? I have not done much research. I figured I'd try to get first hand opinions first.

My only rec would be to try and find some forums talking about these items to gauge reliability. Seems to be a lot of competition in this niche right now so some releases can be buggy. I went with the Amplifi from Ubiquiti and it's been good but there have been some stability issues as well.

My only rec would be to try and find some forums talking about these items to gauge reliability. Seems to be a lot of competition in this niche right now so some releases can be buggy. I went with the Amplifi from Ubiquiti and it's been good but there have been some stability issues as well.
I watched a good bit of comparisons on you tube before making my decision on Orbi.

Quite frankly, I don't remember any bad reviews on any of the mesh systems.

I watched a good bit of comparisons on you tube before making my decision on Orbi.

Quite frankly, I don't remember any bad reviews on any of the mesh systems.

Not necessarily reviews per se but people discussing their experiences (good and bad). Reddit, DSLReports, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom