Safest parking on game days (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Background: been going to home games since the early 90’s and been a season ticket holder since 2006. For all of those years and all those games (day or night), we have always parked in the lot across from Handsome Willy’s just off Tulane/next to I-10. I live in Biloxi and many people I know use that same lot. I have not gone to many home games at all since COVID and went to none last year (reasons for a different topic) but still have my tickets. I know several people that had their cars broken into last year in that lot. Additionally, I have two children that will make a game or two with me so that is another reason for my post and questions. I’ve never had any issues making that walk to the dome but am concerned with the kids.

I say all of that (sorry for the long intro) to ask, where is the safest parking that still allows a decent exit after the game due to traffic.

The lot I mentioned above was great for getting on I-10 very very quick but I’m more concerned about safety now

Last game I attended was in 2018. Taking an Uber to and from the Dome worked out better than trying to find parking downtown. For years, I’d parked in the areas under I-10 that were open to do so. That’s not an option anymore, as much of it was fenced off and became paid lots. Gotta budget for an Uber beforehand, as those rates on game day will be high…but I can’t imagine myself motoring around trying to find affordable parking and avoiding an accident while trying to do so.

Background: been going to home games since the early 90’s and been a season ticket holder since 2006. For all of those years and all those games (day or night), we have always parked in the lot across from Handsome Willy’s just off Tulane/next to I-10. I live in Biloxi and many people I know use that same lot. I have not gone to many home games at all since COVID and went to none last year (reasons for a different topic) but still have my tickets. I know several people that had their cars broken into last year in that lot. Additionally, I have two children that will make a game or two with me so that is another reason for my post and questions. I’ve never had any issues making that walk to the dome but am concerned with the kids.

I say all of that (sorry for the long intro) to ask, where is the safest parking that still allows a decent exit after the game due to traffic.

The lot I mentioned above was great for getting on I-10 very very quick but I’m more concerned about safety now

What time do you plan on getting to New Orleans? As of now it seems like all but one game is at 12, and if you get there at 9 or so it should be really easy to find a free parking spot on Loyola etc. Then walk around, the kids will probably enjoy checking out the different tailgates etc!

Obviously, anything can happen, but probably less likely that your car will be broken into during the day. Or pay $20 to park at a supervised lot in the warehouse district!

Have a blast!

Years ago when I bought season tickets I also purchased a parking pass because I come in from Baton Rouge and wanted to eliminate the stress of finding a safe place to park.

Anyway, it’s been great. We requested (and luckily got) one of the Dome parking spaces that are in the uncovered top areas of the parking platform. We tailgate and it’s a very short walk to the Dome.

The bad news — as you can imagine, it can be very congested getting out, especially if it’s a well attended game that everyone stays until the end.

However, we typically just breakout the tailgate chairs, turn on the postgame and sit until things thin out a bit.

The reason I mention this is that for the past couple of seasons, SeatGeek has allowed ST holders to sell their parking passes. I’ve known a couple of people who have purchased Dome parking passes on a per-game basis this way and it worked out well.

I should also clarify that doing it this way, you have a reserved spot - which can be nice if traffic to the game hits a bad snag (which it often can).

It seems that the cost of parking has increased materially in downtown New Orleans, especially those lots often used on a Saints game day.

Parking in a large parking lot seems safe. There may be some supervision during the game and video cameras. The likelihood of a car burglary seems greater if you are parking on a public street where there is little pedestrian traffic.

We have a pretty good parking spot (season ticket holder) in the #5 garage at the dome that we probably won't use half the weeks and I'd be happy selling.

I’ve always had luck parking on Baronne. It’s one way toward the expressway on-ramp and I’m on I-10 heading west in no time. Once on the expressway, you can easily connect to I-10 east. There are so many people walking around I’ve never had safety concerns.

Used to always have no problems parking on Earhart Blvd. near the crossover to the Dome. Apparently that went to hell the latter part of last season.

It seems that the cost of parking has increased materially in downtown New Orleans, especially those lots often used on a Saints game day.

Parking in a large parking lot seems safe. There may be some supervision during the game and video cameras. The likelihood of a car burglary seems greater if you are parking on a public street where there is little pedestrian traffic.
Honestly the big issue now is catalytic converters theft. Some bold criminals are hitting parking garages and lots that are under-staffed relative to security.

I had a friend have his converter cut off in a valet lot recently. Don’t know the exact location but the burglars hit a few vehicles.

Park in St. Tammany, as you come from Biloxi and then take an Uber, or Lyft. I am serious.

Used to always have no problems parking on Earhart Blvd. near the crossover to the Dome. Apparently that went to hell the latter part of last season.
You were looking to be a victim at a much higher chance, by parking in that area. Good grief.

What time do you plan on getting to New Orleans? As of now it seems like all but one game is at 12, and if you get there at 9 or so it should be really easy to find a free parking spot on Loyola etc. Then walk around, the kids will probably enjoy checking out the different tailgates etc!

Obviously, anything can happen, but probably less likely that your car will be broken into during the day. Or pay $20 to park at a supervised lot in the warehouse district!

Have a blast!
Less likely during the day :D they breaking in cars 24 hrs a day and nowhere in the city is safe from that happening, and the saints games and pelicans games are easy prey ,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom