Saints' 1967 Helmet Question (2 Viewers)

So, during the 67' season only Taylor wore the 2 white stripe/ 1 black striped helmet? Then in 68', the rest of the team all wore the 2 white striped helmets but not until the 3rd game of the season?

That seems to be the case.
While looking through this, I noticed some players wearing wide numbers and others wearing narrow numbers.
I remember the first couple of televised games, my father I had the same problem a lot of other folks had. On a 24-inch black and white TV there were problems seeing the gold numbers on the white uniforms! :hihi:
Part of the uniform changes were to accommodate TV.

I don't remember a single white stripe game helmet ever, and was persnickity about (re)painting my electric football players whenever the Saints modded their unis. :cussing:

The early "uniform" wasn't exactly, either; e.g., on The Kick, compare Dempsey's pants stripes with Scarpati's.

Back then, most NFL teams used dark/white/dark striping (us, Cowboys, Lions, Packers, Niners, et al) and AFL used inverse or spaced striping.

That custom black helmet is the shizz. :yes:

Those so-called "stripes" look almost as though they had some sort of function on the helmet. Clearly not just painted on. Anybody know?

The centerline of older Riddell helmets is raised, probably for assembly and structural reasons. So center stripe is higher.

I would love to see a modern version of the black helmet. It’s a shame that the NFL wouldn’t allow them to wear it for the 1969 season!

I don't have time to look it up now,but I believe the reason the NFL denied the black helmet is Meacom made the change without
notifying the league. it was a marketing issue. Saints merchandise with the gold helmet had already been made.

I don't have time to look it up now,but I believe the reason the NFL denied the black helmet is Meacom made the change without
notifying the league. it was a marketing issue. Saints merchandise with the gold helmet had already been made.

so we can ask the league now if we wanted to change the helmet? not that I want to but it would be sweet with the throwback unis.

so we can ask the league now if we wanted to change the helmet? not that I want to but it would be sweet with the throwback unis.

Yes, we could, but it would have to be approved. It took awhile to look up the reason,and google directed me to a SR. thread from
2007 :). The NFL took their marketing seriously even in that era. Here is the link from that thread

I would love to see a modern version of the black helmet. It’s a shame that the NFL wouldn’t allow them to wear it for the 1969 season!
I would love to see them worn as a throwback, but not permanent. I love our Gold helmets. But, even today's rules wouldn't allow it because you only alter the decals on the helmet, not the color.

That is correct. I looked it up a couple of years ago and that is the reason given.(y)

I would love to see them worn as a throwback, but not permanent. I love our Gold helmets. But, even today's rules wouldn't allow it because you only alter the decals on the helmet, not the color.
Definitely love our gold helmets and wouldn't want that to change. I was thinking it could be part of the color rush uni... but why mess up a good thing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom