Saints attempted to sign Drew Brees in emergency deal ahead of week 16 (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Somehow I knew they would and now this confirms it. Nevertheless, it's Ian's time to show what he's got.

The Saints, in their desperation, reportedly reached out to both Brees and Rivers to gauge their interest in potentially unretiring to suit up in New Orleans, per Jeff Duncan of NOLA.com. The attempts obviously didn't bear any fruit, and it appears Brees is particularly uninterested in stepping down from his shiny new broadcasting gig in an attempt to extend his already Hall of Fame resume.

Brees reportedly replied to the Saints, albeit respectfully, by sending a picture of himself golfing -- per Nick Underhill of WWLTV in New Orleans. In other words, the former face of the Saints is enjoying his retirement, and in a major way.

Drew said his arm hurts worse now that he is not training to throw. So he would not be ready even if he wanted to come back.
Obviously Drew didn't want to come back and have all the fans making fun of his short passes. :covri:

Some respect going both ways I think. I doubt anyone realistically expected him to say yes, but we had to offer him the chance just so he could turn it down and we could move on from that (non) option. Kinda-sorta one of those 'right of first refusal' type deals.

The idea that a guy, no matter how talented and no matter how "in shape", could have nearly a year away from organized team activities or physically and mentally training for a sport... and come back to play at its highest level with no prep time is laughable.

Also, WHO would want to step in behind the patchwork(at best) line, with a dearth of playmakers, no practice or chemistry with the unit, and the defense with the highest sack rate in the nfl gunning for you.

I keep getting sadder and sadder for Book, if he had been chosen to start because the coaches felt he was ready for it and had a plan, fine... but they didnt, he is starting because he is the last man standing. How many practice snaps has he had with the guys he will be playing with?

If Bortles had any practice time im not sure we would have gone with Book. Not because i think Blake is better, but because this may be the worst possible game situation for a rookie QB to get "experience" in.

The checkdown is your friend.
You have no tackles so step up, not back.
Quick release.
Good luck kid.

If we had CGM or even OBJ perhaps he’d have someone whom to throw a ball.

But to come back now year out of shape, stepping up into a pocket guarded by our 3rd and 5th string tackles, and throwing to our “developing” WR corps, does not seem to be a Cinderella Comeback set-up

I’m kinda glad he said no. For one, that’s an extra waiting year for the Hall and second, this franchise needs to live post Brees.
Bill Parcells made a similar decision. He gave serious consideration to coaching the Saints during Payton's one
year suspension. He decided against it when told it would be 5 more years added before he could be selected
for the HOF. He was 70 at the time and said there was no guarantee he'd live that long. It worked out well. He
was enshrined the following season.

Bill Parcells made a similar decision. He gave serious consideration to coaching the Saints during Payton's one
year suspension. He decided against it when told it would be 5 more years added before he could be selected
for the HOF. He was 70 at the time and said there was no guarantee he'd live that long. It worked out well. He
I wanna know how serious Payton was. If Brees sent a pic of them golfing both would know it was a joke. Right?

Also, looking back, I think Parcells turning the job down was the best. It would’ve created some sorta weird power struggle when Payton returned.

Also, looking back, I think Parcells turning the job down was the best. It would’ve created some sorta weird power struggle when Payton returned.
IIRC, Parcells was only going to coach one season and then step down when Payton returned

IIRC, Parcells was only going to coach one season and then step down when Payton returned
Looking back, I understand why Parcells didn’t want to only go for one year.
At the time, I understood the move just to prevent the team from falling into SMU mode.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom