Saints defense praised - Sporting News (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Compliment Saints for newfound complementary defense
Dennis Dillon, Sporting News
Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009

When the Saints run a two-minute drill during practice, money is riding on the outcome. Quarterback Drew Brees and middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma will make a friendly wager -- usually a hundred bucks -- on which unit will prevail.

More important, pride is on the line. And every player invests that.

"It's the 'We just beat you' or 'They just beat us.' You end up walking off the field throwing a helmet," Brees said, as he stood in the hallway of the Saints' facility and pantomimed slamming a helmet to the ground.

This intramural competition started during spring practices and minicamp, continued during training camp this summer and has carried over to the in-season practices. Don't underestimate its value. Without it, the Saints wouldn't be who they are.

One of four unbeaten teams through Week 6 -- they are 5-0 for the first time since 1993 -- the Saints are among the most balanced teams in the league. Their offense ranks No. 1 overall (fourth in rushing, seventh in passing), and their defense is ninth overall (fifth against the run and 14th against the pass).

For the first time in Sean Payton's four seasons, the defense doesn't have to play poor stepbrother to the potent offense. The Saints are making plays on both sides of the ball and impressing scouts across the league.

"I would say they are the best team right now," Texans director of pro personnel Brian Gardner said. "I just finished evaluating every guy on their roster, and I just think they're a complete team."
More...
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/art...ent-saints-for-newfound-complementary-defense

I dont think it takes a rocket science to realize that the D will improve having to face our O each week in practice & vice versa. The same could have been said the last few years but the talent level on D prevented that from happening. This year, mainly because of 2 CBs playing the way they are and a FS who can ball hawk, the gap between the O & D has been narrowed. And thats a good thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom