Saints Defense ranked 1st in NFC, 5th in NFL (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Going into the playoffs we have the 1st ranked defense in the NFC! This defense has been the difference in close games. We proved that we can stop the run Monday against the Falcons.

Overall Defense: 5th; 1st NFC
Pass Defense 2nd; 1st NFC
Opp. QB Rating 11th; 7th NFC
Rushing 18th; 9th NFC
Points per game (18.9) 6th; 4th NFC*

*This would be lower with the 6 defensive touchdowns given up. It would be 16.13 points per game. The Saints have given up the most (6) defensive touchdowns in the NFC. Of the three teams with lower PPG figures Greenbay has given up 1 defensive touchdown, Chicago 3 and Atlanta 2.

This league is about quarterbacks and stopping quarterbacks. I like our chances with Brees and our defense against any team in the NFL!

Going into the playoffs we have the 1st ranked defense in the NFC! This defense has been the difference in close games. We proved that we can stop the run Monday against the Falcons.

Rushing 18th; 9th NFC

*This would be lower with the 6 defensive touchdowns given up. It would be 16.13 points per game. The Saints have given up the most (6) defensive touchdowns in the NFC. Of the three teams with lower PPG figures Greenbay has given up 1 defensive touchdown, Chicago 3 and Atlanta 2.

This league is about quarterbacks and stopping quarterbacks. I like our chances with Brees and our defense against any team in the NFL!

Yes, the defense had fewer turnovers than last year but played lights out on various occasions, so I think it's something to be happy for the coming games and especially for next year as well. However let's hope that the defense can continue on this level in the playoffs too, along with a more balanced and solid offense.

:gosaints:

We have such a high ranking in pass defense yet such a low ranking in OPP QB Rating? It's funny beacuse last year opponents racked up (garbage)passing yards, we had a lower pass defense ranking but the OPP QB Rating was one of the lowest in the league(due to turnovers)

It was nice knowing ya Gregg.

Yeah... folks don't want to face the reality that Gregg Williams may not be the Saints' DC next season. There will be a ton of available jobs in the next few weeks, and teams would be nuts not to at least offer GW an interview for the HC position.

I know that he has said in the past that he'd prefer not to be a HC, but at the end of the day... money talks, and bull... well you know the rest.

Besides... I think GW would like to put his stamp on an entire organization... not just the defense.

I hope he stays in New Orleans, and I hope Loomis is generous in his contract extension offer... I don't think GW could have it any better than he has it here in N.O... he's got a GM that's willing to use high picks on the players that HE (GW) wants on his defense, and he also has a head coach that has given him full autonomy over the defense.

Hey I guess we'll know more in the coming weeks/months... but in the meantime... great job with the defense GW, and lets go out there and bring home another Lombardi.

WHO DAT!!

I don't want to see the crotch shot with him in another team's colors

Thanks for that,,, I was wondering where we stood after the Falcons game.

I hope we play the Bucs to win. I want to see how good our defense is going into the Wildcard round. They have a pretty good rushing game at 7th, and a decent passing game at 21st.

wow, we went from 25th against the run to 18th in just one game? Remind me not to put too much stock into these rankings in the future.

It makes you wonder, though. If we retain GW, does the statistical domination compel SP to go after more offensive toys in the draft instead of addressing glaring holes in our defense?

Rushing 18th; 9th NFC

I'll be captain buzz kill in this thread.

1. we played one of the weakest schedules in the league
2. we played the NFC West
3. Drew has thrown multiple pick 6's which has caused the opposing offenses to have fewer possessions to score/put up yards.
4. QB's we've faced this season (Clausen, Max Hall, McCoy, Alex Smith)

I'm not surprised one bit our defense has put up good #'s when you take all those factors into account.

We have such a high ranking in pass defense yet such a low ranking in OPP QB Rating? It's funny beacuse last year opponents racked up (garbage)passing yards, we had a lower pass defense ranking but the OPP QB Rating was one of the lowest in the league(due to turnovers)

Turnovers differential is always very important and this year I think we were less fortunate with this aspect of the game. However the season is not over, so maybe we will be more lucky in the coming games.

:hihi:

I'll be captain buzz kill in this thread.

1. we played one of the weakest schedules in the league
2. we played the NFC West
3. Drew has thrown multiple pick 6's which has caused the opposing offenses to have fewer possessions to score/put up yards.
4. QB's we've faced this season (Clausen, Max Hall, McCoy, Alex Smith)

I'm not surprised one bit our defense has put up good #'s when you take all those factors into account.

Agreed but didn't we do essentially the same thing last year? we played a ton of rookie or back up qb's..

We also played some good teams with bad records.... When we played the vikes, they were fresh and healthy, Dallas is much better then their record and so is Cincy in my opinion... In hindsight, the Browns are a tough team who beat us and the Pats... The only really embarrassing thing was losing to Arizona..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom