Speculation Saints lack of interest in prospects in their range at 14? (2 Viewers)

Tulsa Saint

Practice Squad
Reaction score
My question is why do the saints seem to lack interest in terms of visits or contacts for the following?

Oil Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Jared Verse

On the other hand they have met/seen:

Byron Murphy
Chop Robinson
Cooper Dejean
Johnny Newton
Brian Thomas Jr

Am I reading too much into this or does it seem they’re more interested in guys going in the late teens/early 20s? Why the lack of interest in bringing in any of the OTs?

My question is why do the saints seem to lack interest in terms of visits or contacts for the following?

Oil Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Jared Verse

Byron Murphy
Chop Robinson
Cooper Dejean
Johnny Newton
Brian Thomas Jr

Am I reading too much into this or does it seem they’re more interested in guys going in the late teens/early 20s? Why the lack of interest in bringing in any of the OTs?
Happens every year with all teams. A player gets picked and says “I’ve never even talked to X team”! Maybe they already have all the info they need to make a decision. Or they just like to get a meeting with players a division rival may take to try to figure out a weakness.

Happens every year with all teams. A player gets picked and says “I’ve never even talked to X team”! Maybe they already have all the info they need to make a decision. Or they just like to get a meeting with players a division rival may take to try to figure out a weakness.
Understood but why have the saints met more with late teens/early 20s projected guys? Isn’t it smart to use a top 30 visit on a couple of these guys and feel them out?

Oil Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Jared Verse

Byron Murphy
Chop Robinson
Cooper Dejean
Johnny Newton
Brian Thomas Jr

Don't wanna show your hand to the rest of the league--playing poker

They may have already done extensive homework on the projected top OL at the Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Days.

If Fushanu, Fuaga, or Fautanu are all or mostly off the board by time #14 comes, the Saints will have strong contingency plans in place by getting a better feel for BPA targets like DeJean, Thomas Jr., Newton or Robinson through visits.

It’s also possible that the projected “later top 20” prospects are higher on the Saints board than the prospects that mock drafts think the Saints are supposed to take based on need. DeJean and BTJ were mocked to go later top 10-top 15 at one point.

Visits don't mean interest or lack of interest. Visits are only for teams to answer questions they have that have not been answered through the process. I wouldn't read anything into visits.
Fair but you don’t find it strange they have such a dire need at OT yet haven’t taken a deeper look? They HAVE to nail that OT pick if that’s the direction they go.

Why has it “seemed” they have taken more time with later 1st round guys?

Fair but you don’t find it strange they have such a dire need at OT yet haven’t taken a deeper look? They HAVE to nail that OT pick if that’s the direction they go.

Why has it “seemed” they have taken more time with later 1st round guys?
Mock drafts believe DeJean, Chop Robinson, Newton and BTJ are later 1st round prospects according to teams needs. But they probably aren’t viewed as later 1st round prospects by Saints scouts and other teams.

Mock drafts usually always mock players based on teams’ needs and not factoring in BPA. Prospects mocked at later selections doesn’t mean they’re true late 1st round prospects in talent and ability. Mock draft projections is just conversation and doesn’t reflect real team draft boards.

Mock drafts believe DeJean, Chop, Newton and BTJ are later round prospects. But they may not be later round prospects to the Saints.

Remember mock drafts usually always mock players based on teams’ needs and not factoring in BPA. Prospects mocked at later selections doesn’t mean they’re true late round prospects in talent and ability. Mock draft projections is just conversation and doesn’t reflect real team draft boards.
Which is a big problem and may lead to a disastrous Thursday Night. Loomis and co try to outthink everybody and don’t do their homework based on the last couple of drafts.

Mock drafts believe DeJean, Chop, Newton and BTJ are later round prospects. But they probably aren’t later round prospects to Saints scouts and other teams.

Mock drafts usually always mock players based on teams’ needs and not factoring in BPA. Prospects mocked at later selections doesn’t mean they’re true late round prospects in talent and ability. Mock draft projections is just conversation and doesn’t reflect real team draft boards.

This.

Also, there is a lot of talk that Nabers is the best WR in this class, period. It wouldn't surprise me if it was MHJr's camp that released the fake report about Nabers being high maintenance. Most mocks still have MHJr going above Nabers, but that might not be how it plays out on Thursday.

Anyone know how often saints have drafted a player in the first round that they didnt bring in for a top-30 visit? Seems like we hear about this every draft. ?? Am i mistaken?

On the side of the OP, i hope it means they plan to try and trade back and acquire picks. Not getting my hopes up though.

Because DA is the coaching version of a boat anchor and we are probably taking a defensive player at 14.

Or we plan to trade up for a player so good there was no need for a visit and these guys are due diligence for plan B.

Which is a big problem and may lead to a disastrous Thursday Night. Loomis and co try to outthink everybody and don’t do their homework based on the last couple of drafts.

Do you actually believe that ML and the FO hasn't done their homework? Or have you been reading on SR too much and think that ML isn't a good GM.

Do you actually believe that ML and the FO hasn't done their homework? Or have you been reading on SR too much and think that ML isn't a good GM.
No he’s far from the “worst” but he’s left a lot to be desired in terms of how he approaches the draft and other things especially recently.

He HAS to nail this one and finally not try to be the smartest guy in the room.

Understood but why have the saints met more with late teens/early 20s projected guys? Isn’t it smart to use a top 30 visit on a couple of these guys and feel them out?
Those players are less hyped and they probably want to know more about them. The top guys have been scrutinized ad nauseum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom