Saints Mock Draft on Giants Forum (1 Viewer)

I love pick #1.

At pick #45... Braswell is a good prospect, although I am unsure how he fits in this scheme size-wise. Between the three that you mentioned at pick #45, I would have gone with Sweat instead. Considering the current roster, an immovable space-eating run stuffer like Sweat is more critical than an Edge guy. However, I would have probably looked to see if there was another pick-worthy OT or OG at #45. That's how bad off the OL is at this point. So, if either Tyler Guyton, Jordan Morgan, Cooper Beebe, Kingsley Suamataia, Graham Barton, or Christian Haynes were still on the board, I'm likely taking a hard look at picking one of them. That's just me.

It's as the old saying goes, "You win in the trenches."
I agree. Also, history shows we are much better at drafting offensive line vs defensive line. I know we have had o line coaches come and go but that seems to be our niche.

Defensive line on the other hand…. Cam. That’s about it and we are obviously capitalizing on that as long as we can.

I say we go with our strengths and roll the dice on two future pro bowl offensive lineman.

Shore up the oline this draft(including depth), mixed with a couple of d lineman.

IF a tight end like Bowers drops to us or we find a diamond in the rough TE in the middle rounds, go for it. I’m not sold on on Johnson and would prefer Foster. However, best case scenario would be Foster rotating in. The tight end position will be interesting to watch with the new scheme.

Bottom line. We need to shore up our offensive and defensive line. We are better historically at drafting o line so just get it all over this year and have our o line set for years. This seems to be a good draft for offensive lineman too.

Hey everyone. Giants fan here and I am GM of the Saints in a Mock Draft. Just wanted to get thoughts and input for when I pick. I have already made my first two selections:

Pick 14 OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State (took him over Jared Verse)
Pick 45 DE Chris Braswell Alabama (took him over DT Sweat from Texas and WR Ricky Pearsal)

Thoughts?
Final results:

Round 1, Pick 14
OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State (was considering but took him over Jared Verse)

Round 2, Pick 45
Pick 45 DE Chris Braswell Alabama (was considering but took him over DT Sweat from Texas and WR Ricky Pearsall)
Saints were a bottom team in sacks and Braswell fit need, BPA with upside.

Round 5

150 Beaux Limmer OG Arkansas - selected to play guard not center though he may be go as a center

168 Jacob Cowing WR Arizona - slot receiver comparable to Tank Dell. If he was a couple inches taller he would go much earlier..

170 Tykee Smith S Georgia - Strong safety type filled a need in the secondary also seen listed as a corner

175 Khristian Boyd DT Northern Iowa - Was considering Jordan Jefferson a few picks earlier but I think I like this pick better. Massive and strong DT to stop the run. Is he that much worse than Sweat? Possible small school discount here.

Each player selected in the 5th round i had a 4th round grade on.

Round 6

190 Chau Smith-Wade, CB, Washington State - Corner depth. Have seem go in the 3rd 4th rd range. Was torn between him and another corner still on the board. Also eyed Brownlee when I selected Boyd but felt DT was bigger need.

199 Marist Liufau, LB Notre Dame - Middle linebacker depth with Demario Davis up there in age. May inherit the position. Could also play SLB and special teams. Saints needed a linebacker and they get a steal with their final pick of the 6th round.

braswells RAS isnt very good and there might be some better DTs left at 45.
I really think too much weight is given to RAS. I'm not even sure if teams consider it at all in their evaluatioms.

Love Tykee Smith in the 5th. He's a Dawg (lol).

But really though, he plays the slot very well and plays with a high level of tenacity/toughness. I think he'd have a good chance of pushing Taylor as the starting slot, and has safety versatility. He'd be much higher on people's boards if he had better height/length. At the very least, he's a great special teamer, which tbh is solid value in the 5th on its own. I imagine he could produce very similarly to how CJGJ was when playing the slot.

I really think too much weight is given to RAS. I'm not even sure if teams consider it at all in their evaluatioms.

Underhill has confirmed the Saints don't actually use RAS, but RAS does come very close to whatever they do use to set their prototypes by position. Doesn't mean they won't take a guy outside of the prototype, but he will have to show something special in another area, i.e. great route runner, great hands, work ethic, etc. I suspect other teams do similar things.

Underhill has confirmed the Saints don't actually use RAS, but RAS does come very close to whatever they do use to set their prototypes by position. Doesn't mean they won't take a guy outside of the prototype, but he will have to show something special in another area, i.e. great route runner, great hands, work ethic, etc. I suspect other teams do similar things.
Yea I can understand teams using it as a sort of supplement to their evaluations. But I really don't think it's a reliable enough metirc to make or break a prospect. I can't imagine a team passing on someone on their board, that they scouted and did their due diligence on, because his RAS score isn't high. Seems like it's more for the draft fans than it is for teams/scouts.

Hey everyone. Giants fan here and I am GM of the Saints in a Mock Draft. Just wanted to get thoughts and input for when I pick. I have already made my first two selections:

Pick 14 OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State (took him over Jared Verse)
Pick 47 DE Chris Braswell Alabama (took him over DT Sweat from Texas and WR Ricky Pearsal)

Thoughts?

Out of curiosity, where did Bowers go? The only guys I could see the Saints taking over Fashanu are Bowers and Alt. Although they could go Lathan depending on how the Saints grade Latham compared to Fashanu. Although as I saw that, if one of the top 3 WRs fell, they might take them too.

BTW, Pearsal would have been hard for me to pass up in the 2nd. Another pass catcher is a sneaky need for the Saints and IMO Pearsal is great value at that spot. Sweat is to, but there are concerns about his work ethic. And 360 pounds with a bad work ethic could be a problem given New Orleans culture and restaurants.

Last edited:
Yea I can understand teams using it as a sort of supplement to their evaluations. But I really don't think it's a reliable enough metirc to make or break a prospect. I can't imagine a team passing on someone on their board, that they scouted and did their due diligence on, because his RAS score isn't high. Seems like it's more for the draft fans than it is for teams/scouts.

I will say that it's pretty uncanny how often the Saints take guys with really high RAS scores in the higher rounds. Even in the lower rounds they tend to pick guys with high RAS scores. But, I think it's just because the Saints like to draft big, fast, quick players and think you generally need to be at the upper end of the NFL athletic profile to succeed. Those things coincidentally result in high RAS scores.

And it really makes sense. If guys are equal in terms of work ethic, intelligence, and instincts, the bigger and faster guys are going to be better players. QB may be the one exception.

But, I do know that they have specific height weight, size, speed profiles that they set based on NFL averages and if guys don't meet or exceed those, they likely aren't going to take them. It's why we haven't taken smaller EDGES. Our profile for EDGE has been the bigger guys for many years. Although Underhill says they may be willing to take smaller guys at EDGE now.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom