Saints Offensive and Defensive lines stacked with homegrown talent (1 Viewer)

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score

I wonder if they are priming us for another OL or DL anchor in the first round. Right now we're all talking QB, WR, LB, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the trigger on a lineman of some sort. These types of guys can be 10+ year contributors at a high level, if you hit.

I am always happy to draft an OL, whatever round, whatever else you might think you need.

NFL organizations have a hierarchy:

1. Ownership (ONE JOB: pick a really good to great GM and get out of the way)

2. GM (includes cap, pro player personnel, scouting, but GM is the key)

3. Head coach

4. Quarterback

5. Offensive line

The offensive line is the spine of a football team; you can't do much in life with a bad back. But with a very good quarterback behind a really good OL with a smart head coach, you are in every game you ever play in.

The historical dynasties: Packers, Raiders, Cowboys (when they win), Steelers, Patriots, 49ers -- not just great owners, GMs and coaches, but chock full of great OL.

You miss on an Andrus Peat, you get at least decent play over five years. You miss on a WR or RB, he's out of the league in 3 years anyway.

This is first and foremost the most physical and violent of sports, and a simple usage analysis would indicate that having the best big and strong guys wins every time.

I wouldn't be surprised with pretty much any position. I think DL, LB, S, CB, OL, WR and QB are all options in the first. Eliminated positions are simply because of 1st round value.

I also don't think you have to get a day 1 impact guy at 24. There are going to be a lot of moving parts next year. It's perfectly fine to build for the future, in fact, I'd say it should be expected. It would be nice to have someone who could contribute this year but I don't think you should skip a good player because of it.

I strongly believe it will be OL. It just seems like one of those years when everyone thinks LB, WR, QB and we all get surprised.

I'm thinking Justin Jefferson. Just got a feeling...

I watched some of the combine reruns Tuesday night. Tristan Wirfs is an incredible athlete. He'll probably be gone before we pick, but he is very impressive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom