Saints Realistic Chance of Getting Burrow and Where Team is Actually Headed (2 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Time has passed since the season end. Teams have made a bunch of FA, trade and re-sign moves to position their teams for the 2020 season. Looking in the rearview mirror, here's what comes to mind about our attempts to get Burrow and what probably happened.

This is not a "Yeah Coach Pete" or "Coach Pete is a moron" thread. This is my best at guessing what actually happened.

Let's start with the basics. 1) It would be insane denial to say loudly that Coach Pete did not get a bunch of really accurate insider info right at the end of the season. Saying: 2) that if we got Burrow, there would be a semi QB platooning, 3) Brees -if he decided to return, would agree to a limited platoon 4) Kamara was not wussing out in the 2nd half of the season and that he was physically beat up and injured from game 8 onward 5) If Brees returned, it would be a very Saints friendly contract.

I ran a poll out of curiosity about a month before season end to see what SR Who Dats thought about SP ever platooning QBs. The results were near total, "No way, no place , no how," including myself. Then we find out in actual interviews with SP, Taysom and Brees that this was going to be the case between Taysom and Brees, and Brees agreed to this. In the poll and related threads, virtually none of us thought Brees would ever agree to partial platooning. Kamara was vetted as injured during the 2nd half and Brees did take a very friendly deal after deciding to return. Those were pretty outrageous claims that in mass, which many of us on SR shot down that all proved to be accurate - with Brees accepting a team friendly deal not so outrageous but not what most of us on SR thought.

So. I'm going to try and put this into some realistic scenario of how this played out:

1) Burrow and his agent are trying to pull an Eli. Joe does not want to play in QB hell, outside in the cold weather in a division with really tough physical defenses. That's the worst scenario for a QB wanting SBs and passing records
2) The Bengals are listening to teams for the #1. From the press, as much as we can count on that, Miami seems to be the team most interested. But there are enough rumors of other teams being interested also to give some possible validity to this
3) It's highly likely that the Saints were talking to the Bengals early about Burrow. We now know that a bunch of players at the Pro Bowl thought Brees was not coming back for another season
4) What Pete heard makes a lot of sense. No Brees would mean virtually no SB run this year. If that's the case, then SP wanting Burrow at near any cost makes perfect sense for his rebuild centerpiece. If we had to rebuild, give SP the QB he wants for that rebuild
5) Then Brees decides to play one more year, so the Saints go back into "Last SB Chance with Brees" mode and the team loads up for one more SB run

Do we really have a chance at Burrow, even if Cincy is willing to deal him? This is a pure guess, but I think that boat has sailed. We made too many offseason moves that support one more SB run under Brees to have the capital left to get Burrow. Even from the beginning early talks with Cincy about Burrow, we were so far stretched to get capital to make a deal of interest to Cincy that it seemed very remote

If this summary guess is at all close, then the obvious question jumping at me is, "With trying one more SB run, does SP care about his future QB at all in round 1?" I don't think so. I love Hill, but he in no way is a proven franchise QB. But if we are going All In for one more SB run, I think SP will use every top pick and move for that run this year and not address the QB in round 1 or even trade up into round 2 to grab a QB.

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said. With rumors of Miami offering 3 of this year's 1st round picks in exchange for the 1st pick, we simply cannot come close to matching or surpassing that offer. Not unless we went crazy and traded away some of our star players in the deal, along with high picks. It's just not going to happen, nor do I really want it to. So I agree.

As to your statement on Hill, "but he in no way is a proven franchise QB". I also agree, but must add neither is Burrow. I mean, no QB is proven until they are given the opportunity and either succeed or fail. What should give us confidence is that I believe any QB has a better shot of success under Payton. Whether it's Hill, a journeyman veteran, or a drafted player, I think Payton will put the best man out there. Right now, I do believe he's comfortable with Hill being the #2 option. Not to say that he wouldn't like to have Burrow to work with, but the price is just way too high.

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Why are we still talking about this?
Because there a ton of us on the board who dearly want Burrow in Black and Gold. And most of us wanting to figure out the Saints strategy for this year which impacts the draft and additional FA moves as well as adjusted contracts.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
If Burrow is drafted on a team with Drew Brees, he's not getting a single snap at QB unless Brees is hurt.

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said. With rumors of Miami offering 3 of this year's 1st round picks in exchange for the 1st pick, we simply cannot come close to matching or surpassing that offer. Not unless we went crazy and traded away some of our star players in the deal, along with high picks. It's just not going to happen, nor do I really want it to. So I agree.

As to your statement on Hill, "but he in no way is a proven franchise QB". I also agree, but must add neither is Burrow. I mean, no QB is proven until they are given the opportunity and either succeed or fail. What should give us confidence is that I believe any QB has a better shot of success under Payton. Whether it's Hill, a journeyman veteran, or a drafted player, I think Payton will put the best man out there. Right now, I do believe he's comfortable with Hill being the #2 option. Not to say that he wouldn't like to have Burrow to work with, but the price is just way too high.
Hey Mississippi Saints! - I really enjoy reading your insights. Even when I disagree, I always read your thoughts because they always seem to be well-thought through, logical and always interesting.

I dunno if Taysom Hill is going to be the best gadget player of all time or the next Steve Young. Do you think Hill has the ability to lead the Saints to a SB? Thx much

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Well Swimmer, I think we are in similar boats. You want Burrow and I want to trade back. I think we are both headed toward disappointment.

To somewhat play along, I can see Cincy offering 33 and 65 for 24. I don't know their roster well enough to put a name in there in place of a pick.

Again, I don't see a trade back, but I have noted that other teams ( Colt and Jets) may trade for a player (Rankins). I don't want to trade him, but there would be no dead money and $7.8/M cap space created.

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Currently how I feel about a swimmer/burrow thread
Thanks for sharing your feelings. That may be very therapeutically healthy for you to express these strong negative emotions. I do care about your emotional health. But there are a bunch of us who care very much, in fact the great majority of the board. Unless Pete told me to pull the thread, it would likely have surpassed the Suh thread as the biggest SSF thread in modern times. So I think there are a ton of us SR Who Dats who do care about this

So if you feel this strongly that this thread is painful to you 1) You are either extraordinarily selfish in trying to ruin a place where the great great majority of the board has interest 2) Or you are having some emotional challenges. Either way, Ï Love You!"

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Well Swimmer, I think we are in similar boats. You want Burrow and I want to trade back. I think we are both headed toward disappointment.

To somewhat play along, I can see Cincy offering 33 and 65 for 24. I don't know their roster well enough to put a name in there in place of a pick.

Again, I don't see a trade back, but I have noted that other teams ( Colt and Jets) may trade for a player (Rankins). I don't want to trade him, but there would be no dead money and $7.8/M cap space created.
Thanks for the post. really good stuff. It just hit me this morning that our ability to get Burrow was likely dead with all the offseason moves we have made to win this year. As far as trading back, if we are not going to get our future franchise QB from this draft, then it opens up nearly all positions in the draft and any additional FA signings, level 4-5 FAs that our FO is so awesome at getting every year, I'm with you about trading back. If some team really wants our#1 position and we can still get one of the players we want plus additional high draft choices - I don't see any downside. Really good stuff baarbogast! - thx

If no Burrow, and even as badly as I've dreamed of Burrow in Black and Gold, that I don't think there is any possibility left, if he's around in the 3rd, I'd love to see us trade up and get Jalen Hurt. Under SP, the kid has SB all over him!

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Give it up, please.
You said it nicely. Thx.

But are the position of a small percentage who were unhappy with all the Burrow threads, more important than the vast majority who made this discussion one of the biggest topics in SSF history. So, I am sorry if this causes you emotional issues, sincerely, but I ask you and others with similar opinions to back off, and let the great majority of us who want to discuss Burrow, the freedom to do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jared Cook's early impressions of Saints rookie TE Adam Trautman? He's 'doing a great job' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Tommy Stevens is a TE now. Jared Cook sees 'a lot of improvement' early in his transition Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why the Saints and Jared Cook are hopeful for a faster start in Year 2 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
George Kittle's new contract is 'huge for tight ends,' Saints TE Jared Cook says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Alex Anzalone eyes on-field return with New Orleans Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Bayou Blitz Podcast: Saints Training Camp, Week 2 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus First glimpse of former Tennessee WR Marquez Callaway in New Orleans Saints uniform SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Can you imagine a near-empty Superdome for Saints games? Drew Brees finds it difficult SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Marcus Davenport on Cam Jordan Motivation | Saints Training Camp 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints safety Marcus Williams seeks to improve tackling, focuses on Super Bowl quest in contract year Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Marcus Williams on Saints DBs, Jared Cook | Saints Training Camp 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Jared Cook on Year 2 w/ Drew Brees at 2020 Saints Training Camp SR News Page Articles 0
Rex Chapman Foundation to donate $20,000 to greater New Orleans area through Pelicans & Saints Social Justice Leadership Alliance Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Saints’ stacked veteran roster reflected in low ‘under-25-talent’ ESPN ranking Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Summed7 An Early Ruling From Sean Payton Prepared the Saints for Their Remote Offseason TheRinger.com article Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
The Saints defense wants to be top five in 2020 and why it can be Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints list rookie Tommy Stevens as a tight end, not a quarterback Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 13: Saints quarterback gets new position and more on Alvin Kamara’s injury Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints & Media Tweets / Training Camp Notes -- Thursday 8/13 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 59
Andrus Sean Payton feeling good about Saints rookies, team conditioning Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Andrus Saints rookie QB Tommy Stevens assigned new position, jersey number SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints announce no fans for season opener against Buccaneers SR News Page Articles 0
Walker: No fans, silent Superdome for Saints opener another reminder of weird 2020 season ahead Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints officially announce Week 1 2020 home opener will be played without fans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints won’t have fans in stands for Tom Brady’s Bucs debut Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to play season opener against Buccaneers without fans, team announces Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints’ first regular season home game vs. Bucs to be played without fans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton feeling good about Saints rookies, team conditioning Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rookies on track despite condensed preseason schedule Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints, mayor, governor meet to discuss whether or not Superdome will have fans SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints' 'soft' bubble could be model for 'hard' bubble if NFL makes it to playoffs SR News Page Articles 0
Saints' Sean Payton has some advice on mustard stain removal best practices Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Former Saints players you will always have a soft spot for who are currently active players Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
After 2 injuries in 3 years, Saints LB Alex Anzalone wants to show what he's capable of Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Receivers Sanders and Thomas give the Saints the numbers, which is 'simple math' SR News Page Articles 0
WATCH: Saints training camp battles series continues with linebacker Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints officially-licensed face coverings with new design now available Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints haven’t had positive tests, but it “isn’t like we’ve got this figured out” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints & Media Tweets / Training Camp Notes -- Wednesday 8/12 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 72
Andrus New Orleans Saints linebacker Alex Anzalone eager to show all his skills SR News Page Articles 0
In 18 years, Saints' Terry Fontenot went from a marketing intern to a front office exec Saints RSS News Feeds 0
All eyes on Week 10’s NFC showdown between the Saints and 49ers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Alvin Kamara shifted toward plant-based diet this offseason Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints Post-cutdown 2020 53-man roster projection Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 11: Analysis of recent Saints recruits Nigel Bradham and Bennie Fowler Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Tweets / Training Camp Notes -- Tuesday 8/11 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 29
Andrus Top 25 Saints of 2020: No. 7, Terron Armstead SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Healthy Alvin Kamara prepared to show off his old, new self with New Orleans Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Lattimore Saints Saints 3rd WR: TQS vs Bennie Fowler Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
SaintsSwag Saints vs Bills Throwback Week 10 2017 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16